Author Topic: An invitation to Bay Area Brokies  (Read 2293 times)

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
An invitation to Bay Area Brokies
« on: June 16, 2008, 04:16:32 am »
Hi folks.  Boy, have I been busy lately.

I've been in the process of putting through a big project at my church (glide.org) to get part of the choir out on tour next year.  The purpose of which is 1) to expand our commitment to bring life in all fullness to all people and 2) to inspire and enable people to put the ideals of unconditional love and acceptance to work in their communities and their lives.  It would be a joint project with our Global Ministries group.  I have one of the 4 members of our ministry team very interested in seeing it happen, but we need to refine the idea and get the logistics sorted out.  Heck of a possibility though.

Just last week I met with a guitar player named Karim and it seems like he and I could write some pretty great songs together.  This is a very big thing because I have been wanting a true creative collaborator for... I don't know, a very long time.  And meeting this guy was like the professional/creative equivalent of meeting Nick.  We got started on one song last Saturday and we'll see where it goes from there.  Here are some of his songs  http://www.myspace.com/karimsmusic  and here are some of mine  http://www.myspace.com/kirkmillsagain

I've stuck to a 5 day per week gym schedule for 3 whole months and I'm loving it!  Plus I've been taking care of a lot of things that have been on the back burner: sending in a broken hard drive for data recovery that has been sitting in bubble wrap since December, reading and returning a book that I borrowed from a neighbor last year sometime, slowly getting the clutter cleared from my section of the apartment, things like that.

What has gotten me in action to the extent that I have been is a course I'm taking at Landmark Education.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of you knew the name already.  They teach a self-actualization kind of curriculum in 3 main parts.  I'm taking the third at the moment and it kicks a**!!!  I've been in this kind of work since around '98 with other groups and there's something about the way this one is set up that's having it stick and work better than anything else I've done.

On Thursday July 10th we're having a guest event, at which you will hear the participants of this course sharing about what they've gotten out of their work with Landmark, what they're up to now, and to see what could be in it for you, and if you're so moved, to register for the Landmark Forum.  Don't worry, there's no hard sell involved.  We've had two of these events already and they've been so cool.  Just a few things I've gotten since I started in August:

The first course is called the Landmark Forum (named the #2 Adventure of a Lifetime by top100expo.com.  Don't try looking for it, the site is being updated.  Too bad, it was a great article.  #1 was space travel).  On the first day of my Forum I was able to transform my relationship with a coworker who had been increasingly annoying me for about 5 years.  What was really bothering me was my own lack of self-expression in my job, not him expressing himself where I thought he shouldn't.  I still don't agree with some of the things he does but it doesn't get under my skin like it used to and I get to enjoy being around him again.

The second course is called the Advanced Course.  There I figured out for myself that my life up to that point had been a spectacularly disguised attempt to not be noticed, which goes a long way in explaining why I've not created a successful recording career for myself, why I so readily detach from people (with exceptions of course), etc, etc, etc. That was a big one that gave me access to who I wanted to be.

The course I'm in now is the Self-Expression and Leadership Program, which I've been looking forward to since I first saw the title back in August.  In this one you take what you got from the first two programs and put it to work.  And I'm telling you I've never played so full out in my own life.  It's like going from Ennis to Jack in the space of a few months.

So I'd like to invite you all to our guest event.  I'm taking the course in San Jose because it was on Wednesday nights in San Francisco and that's my rehearsal night with the choir.  Here are the specifics...

Landmark SELP Guest Event
Thursday July 10th @ 7-10pm
100 Park Center Plaza, Suite 115
San Jose, CA 95113

Parking at the Park Center Plaza is $7.  I have inconsistently been able to find metered street parking which is free after 6pm.

Not only should it be an interesting and inspiring night but I would love to see you folks again.  Let me know by responding here or by PM.  And let me know if you have any questions, if you'd like to carpool, whatever.  And if any of you happen to be graduates of this program and would like to chime in, feel free.

Peace,
Kirk
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 03:55:59 am by kirkmusic »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: An invitation to Bay Area Brokies
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:31:31 am »
Thanks for letting us know about this! It's very tempting...although I probably can't get off work to attend since the previous week is short.

Are the classes all held in the Bay Area? Are there any chapters in Denver?

Also, thanks for updating us on your activities, friend Kirk!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 04:30:31 am »
There are offices all over the world and yes, one of them is in Denver.  Here's a list of all of them.

http://www.landmarkeducation.com/landmark_education_offices.jsp

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 04:57:51 pm »
Any pic and/or video of:
      (glide.org) ... of the choir             

I just saw your video and like it very much!

http://glide.org/Meals.aspx

Hopefully, others can see it too and help!

Here is the situation in your area, better or worst?

I presume that there are more people who are in need?

Au revoir,
hugs!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:10:40 pm by Meryl »