Author Topic: Slideshow Support Thread - For Our Banner Slideshow  (Read 31048 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: Slideshow Support Thread - For Our Banner Slideshow
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 05:43:34 pm »

I can see the test video too... but not the slideshow (either here in this thread or on the banner).

Elle and Fran are both on Macs if I recall correctly. Is that your case too?
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 05:53:40 pm »
I use a PC at work, a Mac at home, and the banner is a white box for me in both places. I can see the test video.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 07:03:45 pm »
Can you see the slideshow in the reply above?  How about the embedded test video?

I can only see the embedded test video.

injest

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 07:26:18 pm »
Some people are reporting problems with the slideshow on the news banner.  If you see a white or black box instead of a slideshow, please try the following and report back if it solves or doesn't solve the problem for you.  You may need to empty your temporary Internet cache (you can keep your cookies and forms, just delete the temporary web pages stored in your cache) and close and reopen your browser for the changes to become effective.

1. Please start by visiting here and download and installing the latest Flash player.  You may need to close your browser windows when the installation is complete for it to become effective.

2. If you are still seeing a blank box, can you let me know your browser and version (ex: Internet Explorer 7, etc.) and if you installed the latest version of the Flash player.

3. If you are at work, do you know if a firewall has been put in place at your job that would prevent Macromedia Flash applications from running?  I can always convert the slideshow to an embedded video (assuming you can see that at work) and run that instead, but the slideshow is better for dial-up users.

I'd like to get this resolved for everyone so we can use this feature in other places as well.  Thanks for your help!

1) I have the current Flash Player and have cleared my cache; also rebooted after downloading the Flash

2) I have Windows Vista and IE7

I can see the video but not the slideshow.

(I also tried using Firefox and could not see the slideshow)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 07:45:38 pm »
OK... apparently I have something magic here that others don't.  I will pull down the slideshow tonight and replace it with a video. 

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 11:50:01 pm »
blank box, using a PC

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 12:10:03 am »

I can see the test video too... but not the slideshow (either here in this thread or on the banner).

Ditto to all above points.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 01:24:44 am »
I have been working on evaluating some software to generate movie versions of the slideshow, this time with some music attached.  A proof of concept test will be up on the news banner in a few moments.  I am evaluating software for its worthiness, so the test movie will be branded an "evaluation" because I have not yet registered the software.  No sense paying for something if we decide not to use it.

The questions I have are:

1) Can you see and hear the movie (dial-up users see below) without troubles?

2) Do you like the concept and would you like to see more of this kind of thing on the news banner?

3) If you are a dial-up user, the code responsible to create the player will take a few moments to download.  I am uncertain if it will successfully cache this code, so future returns to the forum home page don't take too long to load.  Also, as this was created with broadband users in mind, playback will be very difficult for dial-up users using this format, I'm afraid. 

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 02:02:02 am »
I can see and (sadly) hear a test movie (only two pictures and a horrible test tone) right now.
Also can see the test video on this thread without any trouble.

Using Windows XP and a newer version of IE.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 02:14:55 am »
The movie is encoding at the moment and I've been struggling with the code to get the banner to display properly, but all should be fixed in a few moments.