Author Topic: The E-Book Files  (Read 169799 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The E-Book Files
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2008, 09:48:19 am »
Did I mention Frost Fair by Erastes? It's very good. I even wrote a review which can be found here:

http://speakitsname.wordpress.com/2008/12/15/review-frost-fair-by-erastes/
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2008, 03:31:38 pm »
It sounds very interesting Leslie.

I agree with you remark about the cover. Talk about a mismatch.  ???

I'm thinking of buying the e-book, but I maybe I should read the other stories on my mobipocket first. I need a reading holiday!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2008, 03:59:17 pm »
It's a very good story. I recommend it.

How are you doing with Chris & David, by the way?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2008, 04:13:27 pm »
It's a very good story. I recommend it.

How are you doing with Chris & David, by the way?

L

David and Chris, I really loved those stories. Are there any more?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2008, 04:39:50 pm »
David and Chris, I really loved those stories. Are there any more?

Yes, she has two more books coming out. Not quite sure of the schedule for publication, though. I'll post here when they are published.

L

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2008, 09:36:53 pm »
I just read right through Friday night and Saturday an ebook that I had a sample of and had to order immediately.

The Black Tower, by Louis Bayard

http://www.amazon.com/The-Black-Tower/dp/B001E70RPQ/ref=ed_oe_k

this is not a gay romance whatever, however it is remarkable in that it has some of the best-drawn male characters I have read in a story in recent years.  And a very intriguing mystery surrounding the fate of the Dauphin, the son of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, who was imprisoned in the Temple after the execution of the Bourbon monarchs.  Told from the point of view of a young medical student, Hector Carpentier, who is unwittingly dragged into a police investigation by the flamboyant and fabled police chief Vidocq, Bayard brings a sordid and terrible chapter of French history into stark reality.  I am now busily ordering Bayard's other novels which I'll link here when I'm done with them.  If you like mysteries and very vivid character portrayals, this is the author for you!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2008, 12:35:19 pm »
Anyone here get a Kindle or Sony ereader for Christmas? Inquiring minds want to know!

L

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2008, 04:34:11 pm »
No, I am still making do with just my ipod. The Black Tower sounds really good. I am finishing up Fete, by Daniel McVay, which Offline Chuck gave me to read. He is a voracious reader and has already given me three books to read. Fete is a fun book about the resort village of Beech Grove, in the California desert, where just about every other person seems to be gay.

I also received Bad Dirt from Annie Proulx from my family. This is her second collection of stories of Wyoming, Close Range being the first (it finishes up with Brokeback Mountain). However, I think I'll exchange it for Fine Just the Way it Is, her third collection of Wyoming stories, which I haven't read yet.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2008, 05:41:20 pm »
I have spent this week reading more of Louis Bayard.  The Black Tower was his third mystery story.  The first is "Mr. Timothy",set in 1860 London, featuring the now-grown Tiny Tim from "A Christmas Carol."  A very unusual and excellently done story - I liked this almost as much as "The Black Tower."  The second book I read was "The Pale Blue Eye", set in 1830's New York, at West Point, where a retired New York police constable is called in as a private consultant to a gruesome murder of a West Point cadet, and enlists the aid of Private Fourth Classman Edgar Allen Poe.  Of the three, this one was the least satisfying, but the portrayals of the male characters, as expected, were uniformly fascinating.

Interestingly enough, he is openly gay, partnered, with a son, and his previous novels were gay romantic comedies that have positive reviews, at least as far as Amazon is concerned.  Unfortunately, the gay romances do not appear to be in print or available by ebook. I'm still debating about whether to buy them as used paperbacks.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2008, 08:40:25 am »
Anyone here get a Kindle or Sony ereader for Christmas? Inquiring minds want to know!

L

:'(

I got a perfume called 'J'adore' by Dior. So at least I can sit by the computer reading the Mobipocket books you gave me and smell nice.  :)