Author Topic: HOARDING.....what kind of things do we keep  (Read 21463 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
HOARDING.....what kind of things do we keep
« on: July 16, 2008, 08:10:44 pm »
I am not sure if this subject has been discussed on here before, but recently I have watched a couple of TV shows showing the extent to how people hoard things.  Some people definately have a phsycological problem with hoarding, and are so extreme that they cant even live in their homes, because it is over run with stuff they have collected. Others just keep things because of sentimental value, just like Jack did, with Ennis's shirt.

I think it would be interesting to find out here, just what people keep, what they would never throw out, and why they do.

Also, if anyone has ever discovered something that someone else has kept, and realize the signficance of why it was kept, again, like how Ennis felt when he found Jack's shirt.

I look forward to hearing your stories.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

Re: HOARDING.....what kind of things do we keep
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:17:55 pm »
well.... My husband hoards string.

when we clean out the tool rooms and tack rooms I throw them away and he goes thru the trash sacks and gets them all back out. I mean, seriously, what can you do with an eight inch length of frayed thread??

Offline Katie77

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 08:19:13 pm »
I guess I should be the first to admit it..............

MY NAME IS SUE..........AND  I AM A HOARDER.......

Not in the extreme sense but I do have a box of things that have gone into every house removal that I have made over the years.

In that box, are photos, and cards........Cards I received when Bob and I got engaged (1968), wedding cards (1969), Baby cards (1971 and 1974), mothers day cards, anniversary cards, birthday cards, cards my hubby and I exchanged when he was away in the navy before we married.

I might not open that box for 12 months, but every time I do I take a trip down memory lane.

I often wonder what my kids will do with that box, when they find it after Im gone.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:21:44 pm »
well.... My husband hoards string.

when we clean out the tool rooms and tack rooms I throw them away and he goes thru the trash sacks and gets them all back out. I mean, seriously, what can you do with an eight inch length of frayed thread??

Thats funny Jess....yeah, I think men are probably worse than us women.  God knows what they have hidden away in their sheds and tool rooms. Oh and men who live on the land, are worse than anyone.

Now I bet your hubby could give you at least ten good uses for that 8" of frayed thread.

injest

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 08:23:24 pm »
Thats funny Jess....yeah, I think men are probably worse than us women.  God knows what they have hidden away in their sheds and tool rooms. Oh and men who live on the land, are worse than anyone.

Now I bet your hubby could give you at least ten good uses for that 8" of frayed thread.

I think HIS idea of a 'good use' would not be the same as mine!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:28:34 pm »
Hahahaaa.....I can see this is going to bring out some really funny stories......

Have you seen the shows on TV, Jess, about compulsive hoarders......i saw one the other day, where there was so much rubbish in the house that the husband had collected, that he and his wife bought a trailer to park beside the house to live in........NOW........the trailer is getting full of stuff and they are running out of room in that.

Talk about an understanding wife........she deserves a medal. (which no doubt her hubby has plenty of somewhere in his collection)

Oh, and just on a serious note, I am not laughing at the particular mental illness associated with these extreme cases, it is no laughing matter, and the "illness" is just as devastating as any other illness....but it is quite an eye opener and amazing just how it affects someone and to what extremes they get to.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 08:30:25 pm »
coupons, old radios, flower pots

injest

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 08:36:51 pm »
Hahahaaa.....I can see this is going to bring out some really funny stories......

Have you seen the shows on TV, Jess, about compulsive hoarders......i saw one the other day, where there was so much rubbish in the house that the husband had collected, that he and his wife bought a trailer to park beside the house to live in........NOW........the trailer is getting full of stuff and they are running out of room in that.

Talk about an understanding wife........she deserves a medal. (which no doubt her hubby has plenty of somewhere in his collection)

Oh, and just on a serious note, I am not laughing at the particular mental illness associated with these extreme cases, it is no laughing matter, and the "illness" is just as devastating as any other illness....but it is quite an eye opener and amazing just how it affects someone and to what extremes they get to.

no, mental illness is nothing to laugh at but people's little idiosyncries are! My husband is not mentally ill....just string addicted!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Katie77

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:53:42 pm »
We may laugh, I guess at these hubbys who save string, but I wonder what those hubbys would think if they saw all the stuff us girls have stashed away, just about things to do with our beloved Brokeback Mountain......(now tell the truth, we all have them) ::) ::)

I have fan fic stories I have printed out and bound with covers, an enormous collection of printed fan art, curtesy of Lucise's thread, not to mention the postcards that Brokies have sent me and little trinkets like cowboy hats on chains and little tents hanging on string. Not to mention 3 copies of the short story, and 2 copies of the dvd.

Now those things I will never throw out.....

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 08:56:42 pm »
My hoarding is so sad. I keep all the slippers you get at hotels.I never wear them and must have about 50 plus pairs.They fill a whole drawer in a big chest.

I also keep those paper umbrellas you get in cocktail drinks.
I have several hundred plus free match packets from round the world.
The rest I think is common, first lock of hair, first tooth,ultrasound scan photos,from when I was pregnant,I have even kept the one from the baby I miscarried.
First everything from the kids.
One of the saddest things when we moved here, was the only carton that went missing from shipping was all the kids homemade Xmas tree decorations.I cried for ages our 1st xmas here when I realised they had gone.