Author Topic: HOARDING.....what kind of things do we keep  (Read 21425 times)

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: HOARDING.....what kind of things do we keep
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2008, 08:32:17 am »
Okay I know I am off track but speaking of old commercials..well kind of. My second favourite restaurant is called the Fish n Chip Shop, its like a step back to the 70's, its got formica tables (trust ya know what I mean), patterned orange wall paper, ducks on the wall (please tell me you've seen Hilda Ogden's house from Coronation Street), all the decor from 60's and 70's basically. But what really adds to the "ambience" is the huge old brown box type tv's running black and white commercials from the 60's and 70's. Oh the memories... ;D

injest

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2008, 08:48:26 am »
Okay I know I am off track but speaking of old commercials..well kind of. My second favourite restaurant is called the Fish n Chip Shop, its like a step back to the 70's, its got formica tables (trust ya know what I mean), patterned orange wall paper, ducks on the wall (please tell me you've seen Hilda Ogden's house from Coronation Street), all the decor from 60's and 70's basically. But what really adds to the "ambience" is the huge old brown box type tv's running black and white commercials from the 60's and 70's. Oh the memories... ;D

oh man! that sounds like a cool place! the TV would be worth a trip!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2008, 10:23:00 am »
At times, I have rare books !

Do you too ?

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2008, 02:12:39 pm »
My fam has never hoarded much of anything.  We do keep family heirlooms, genealogy charts, and such, but not just "stuff."
Okay, I realize that for me, what is stuff might be treasure to another.    A friend of mine is a compulsive hoarder, much like the ones you've seen on Oprah or Dr. Phil.  She has been doing it for years and it's gotten so bad I won't even go into her house anymore.  Stuff she can't get rid of:  newspapers, empty bottles, bags, plastic containers, rubber bands, twist ties, corks, plastic utensils, magazines, hotel toiletries, and more. 

She knows she has a problem and says she will get help, but there's the rub:  she hoards her money too.  She makes quite a good salary and has no dependents, but you'd think she was a pauper.  She won't spend for a therapist, or for 1 800 Got Junk to pick up stuff, or even to fix anything in the house until the situation is desperate. 
It's a sad thing.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2008, 02:21:50 pm »
I have a piece of used wrapping paper that my Granny saved to re use in the 1950s, I also have her kitchen sink.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2008, 02:50:41 pm »
That sounds wonderful shakestheground ! I admire you for that !

Offline Artiste

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2008, 02:51:25 pm »
My father has past away, so I keep his hammer !

Offline Artiste

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 08:08:32 pm »
And what about elastic bands, did someone mentioned them ?

But when it comes to using them, they break easily being now old!

Ha! Ha!  Any tricks to conserve them better maybe ?

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2008, 06:52:06 pm »
Now, mainly books.
And emails (I need to clean out some of my email inboxes).

I find that as I get older, I care less for clutter.. so I have forced myself to get rid of a whole lot of stuff.
That said, there are items in my basement right now that I could do without.  :)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2008, 07:02:36 pm »
Now, mainly books.
And emails (I need to clean out some of my email inboxes).

I find that as I get older, I care less for clutter.. so I have forced myself to get rid of a whole lot of stuff.
That said, there are items in my basement right now that I could do without.  :)

Oh yes.....my email......I dont think to clean out the inbox until I get a message from my server that my mailbox is nearly full....and then, all I do, is delete them, and they end up in my "deleted email box"....I always think, I might need that email for something....what?...I dont know....Maybe thats why my computer runs so slow, all the stuff I have collected and dont want to throw out........I have created my own cyber box of, "cant throw that out" stuff.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection