Author Topic: What is your Favorite Cheese?  (Read 19006 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: What is your Favorite Cheese?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 09:06:15 am »

looove cheese but cheese HATES me!  >:(

Alas, I'm lactose intolerant, so I have to stay away from cheese.  :'(

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 09:54:58 am »
If it weren't for cheese, I'd be a lot thinner!  I love it all, but voted for sharp cheddar.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 12:42:18 pm »
Muenster and Brie, the guests scarf 'em up at my doo dahs! If I serve cheddar, or provolone, people just nibble a little.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 01:01:07 pm »
Muenster and Brie, the guests scarf 'em up at my doo dahs! If I serve cheddar, or provolone, people just nibble a little.

I understand completely. Provolone is kinda bland.

That's something that is certainly missing in Italian cuisine, good cheese. Taleggio and Parmigiano are the one good Italian cheese we could get in the supermarket in Italy. I don't think of mozzarella as a kind of cheese I would serve for a meal. I like it in the classic 'caprese' salad with tomatoes and basil, but other than that, I think of it as a 'cooking' cheese.

Although I love Stilton, my preference goes to French or our own cheeses, like saint nectaire, camenbert, maroilles,.. hmmmm.

I have no idea what sharp cheddar is.  ???
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 01:20:19 pm »
I couldn't possibly choose just one - I really like all those listed (with the exception of Limburger, which I've never tasted). It depends on what I'm eating or cooking or what mood I'm in.  I could live on chunks of cheese and a good crusty bread.

Having said that, probably my favorite is mozzerella when it's on a pizza. Although my favorite pizza is just the crust and lots of tomato sauce! :)

Ironically, David, even though I love cheese, I don't like too much cheese on my pizza, so I can understand this!   Although I love all kinds of pizza with all kinds of toppings, my favorite is probably Pizza Margherita, a very thin crust with a fresh tomato topping, and just a tiny bit of mozzarella.    I also like a thin pizza crust spread with a pesto topping.    And now I've made myself very hungry!  :laugh:

I have no idea what sharp cheddar is.  ???

It's just a very strongly flavored cheddar, Fabienne.  I prefer it over mild cheddar, simply because I like that it has kind of a "bite" to it.  In fact, I prefer stronger flavored cheeses over the milder ones (such as a mild provolone, which can be bland).    Have you ever tried Pecorino Romano - that's an Italian cheese that I like.  It also has quite a "bite" to it, though!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 01:35:04 pm »
I couldn't possibly choose just one - I really like all those listed (with the exception of Limburger, which I've never tasted). It depends on what I'm eating or cooking or what mood I'm in.  I could live on chunks of cheese and a good crusty bread.

Amen!

It's just a very strongly flavored cheddar, Fabienne.  I prefer it over mild cheddar, simply because I like that it has kind of a "bite" to it.  In fact, I prefer stronger flavored cheeses over the milder ones (such as a mild provolone, which can be bland).    Have you ever tried Pecorino Romano - that's an Italian cheese that I like.  It also has quite a "bite" to it, though!

Marie

We were in Pecorino country in Italy. We visited Pienza, which claimed to be the pecorino capital of the world (and thinking about the huge number of cheese shops selling nothing but pecorino, i think they were right LOL). I'm not a big fan of a sheep's cheese like pecorino. There seems to be 'depth' lacking in the taste, or maybe I haven't discovered the right pecorino for me.

And I've googled 'limburger cheese'. I didn't know what that was either. You know 'Limburg' is a province in Belgium, so I'm wondering about the connection?
According to wikipedia there's a Belgian limburger cheese too, Herve cheese. We refer to is as 'stinking cheese' LOL. I've never eaten it, maybe I should try it someday. I like strong cheeses.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 02:00:31 pm »
Amen!

We were in Pecorino country in Italy. We visited Pienza, which claimed to be the pecorino capital of the world (and thinking about the huge number of cheese shops selling nothing but pecorino, i think they were right LOL).

Ah, well, if you were in the pecorino capital, I imagine you got a chance to taste the best - so, yeah, it's probably just not to your taste.  I actually don't know a lot of people who do like it - most prefer parmigiano-reggiano.

We refer to is as 'stinking cheese' LOL. I've never eaten it, maybe I should try it someday. I like strong cheeses.

LOL!  That's the only thing I've ever heard about Limburger, too.  But I should probably try it b/c I also like strong cheeses. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 04:03:37 pm »
I checked "Swiss" but would have checked several more if there were options, including Chedder and Gouda. I like most cheeses other than the "blue" varieties like Stilton, Roquefort or Gorgonzola.  You'd have to hold a gun to my head to get me to eat anything with visible mold.

But you didn't have Velveeta on the list!   ;)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 04:06:56 pm »
Although I love Stilton, my preference goes to French or our own cheeses, like saint nectaire, camenbert, maroilles,.. hmmmm.

I just Googled nectaire at http://www.cheese-france.com/cheese/saint_nectaire.htm  and it sounds delicious!  Does it taste anything similar to gouda?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 04:35:11 pm »
I just Googled nectaire at http://www.cheese-france.com/cheese/saint_nectaire.htm  and it sounds delicious!  Does it taste anything similar to gouda?

Not really. It's a lot tastier, in fact. I think the richness of the taste has to do with the fact that this is a farm cheese, and the taste is influence by the food the cows are given.

It's not a strong taste, but really rich and nutty. The taste also varies during the season. It's delicious.