Author Topic: What Do You Think This Thing Is?  (Read 9195 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
What Do You Think This Thing Is?
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:32:58 am »
What ever it is, it sure is disgusting looking. I really have no idea what it could be. Maybe it is an undiscovered animal? Some sort of sea animal maybe?

From AOL:

Just What Is the 'Montauk Monster'?

Could it be a devil dog? The mythical chupacabra? Perhaps it's just an unfortunate pug, raccoon or turtle. A photo of a strange creature lying dead on a Montauk, N.Y., beach, fuels Web-wide speculation and amusement. "It looked like nothing I'd ever seen before," Ryan O'Shea, one of the witnesses, told Newsday. "It looked like it died angry."

From Newsday:

Quick. Grab something. It's time to slay the Montauk Monster.

That was the idea at the beginning of the day, when we set a colleague, Robert Wargas, out on his monster mystery hunt.

The results? We'll get to that later. But first, let's dish out some reality.

A. Something really did wash up in Montauk, one sunny day, two weeks ago.

B. More than four people saw it.

C. More than one person photographed it.

The surf was rough, flipping the thing, over and over, and over again.

Jenna Hewitt, of Montauk, and three friends crept up to examine one side. And Hewitt snapped the camera shot heard 'round the world.

But here's the rub.

Her group was the second on the scene that afternoon.

The first was a quartet of sun-worshipers from western Suffolk and New York City.

"It looked like nothing I'd ever seen before," said Ryan O'Shea, of Brooklyn. "It looked like it died angry."

They were so puzzled by what they saw, they left and came right back, with more friends.

The second time around, Christina Pampalone, of East Northport, borrowed O'Shea's camera. She aimed and kept on firing.

The result is lots of -- ew -- gross photos of a carcass that looks more domestic than exotic, a bloated dog, not the Hound from Hell.

It shows ears. A big swatch of fur. And its proportions appear to be less distorted -- making the head appear to be a suitable complement to the body.

"I was telling people, all day (Wednesday), that I had better photos," Pampalone said.

"Everybody I showed her pictures to said it looks like a dead dog," O'Shea said.

"But looking at the claws, and at the teeth in the front, it looked like it could be something else, something vicious."

It was relatively small, roughly 21/2 to 3 feet long, he said.

"I kept thinking, 'Boy, I hope its mother isn't around,'" O'Shea said.

This might be a good time to pause for a chew of monster mash. I was skeptical -- and yes, photographers and graphic artists, I did get your e-mails disputing my shadow theory -- until O'Shea and Pampalone made me a believer.

Not in monsters, mind you.

But in the fact that the ocean, from time to time, coughs up some nasty stuff.

So is it a dog? (Many readers suggested, and worried, that it might be their lost pet. Others were adamant that whatever it was, it should get a decent burial.)

Or, as some of our more imaginative readers suggested Thursday, a skinned ram?

Whale fetus?

Possum? Otter? (Based on the new photos, I think I'm liking the otter. For now.)

I sent Pampalone's digital photos -- unlike Hewitt, she had no problem with sending Newsday the originals -- to the good folks at Plum Island, but had heard nothing back about the new photos by deadline.

Perhaps that's because officials were busy answering inquiries from CNN and other media chasing the Montauk Monster. (For the record, officials said they have nothing to do with it and couldn't identify it, based on Hewitt's photo.)

Hewitt told Newsday she was talking to CNN, too.

She also told our man Wargas -- who had started his workday high on the hope of seeing, and no doubt, smelling, the beast's remains -- that the carcass had been moved from the backyard of her friend to another location.

Damn.

But wait.

Joann Dileardo saw it at the end of Roe Avenue in Patchogue, a few weeks ago. "I didn't know what that thing was," she said. "It looked like a pig."

Another reader, Pat, e-mailed that the ladies in his office saw it on an East Quogue beach -- back in April.

Elizabeth Barbeiri said her family saw it about a mile east of Gurney's Inn in Montauk, July 14. And Ryan Kelso, via iPhone, said he spotted it -- alive! -- in the Montauk dunes. "It looked about the size of an average fox, gray in color, eyes like a mole, hairless and was breathing quite heavily," he wrote, "needless to say we were freaked out by this discovery and fled the area quickly."

Lavey Fater saw a surfer bring one to shore, near Ditch Plains.

"It was hairless and gross," Fater reported. "... The surfer said he had no idea what it was, but that he threw it in the dunes because he didn't want to be surfing next to it."

Keith found something last week in Greenport; Chris found one a month ago at Jones Beach east of Field 6. ("The one I saw had a longer snout or beak or whatever you want to call it.") Sean said he buried one, 3 feet deep, in South Jamesport.

Somehow, I'm thinking, the Montauk Monster won't stay buried, long.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: What Do You Think This Thing Is?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 02:45:25 am »
Turtle without a shell.
(haven't read the article, just voted)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 05:08:52 am »
Having read the article, I have second thoughts. It says the creature has teeth, so I had another look at the picture, and it really looks like there are teeth. But turtles don't have teeth :-\
And ears ???

Ok, I want to change my vote. Can you edit the poll, David?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 08:57:30 am »

How weird. It looks like a skinned cat. Or rather, what I presume a skinned cat might look like. Only problem with that theory is that it appears to have a beak! A beak with teeth!  :o   :P   :-\   

I voted for "No idea."   ???
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 02:43:55 pm »
Having read the article, I have second thoughts. It says the creature has teeth, so I had another look at the picture, and it really looks like there are teeth. But turtles don't have teeth :-\
And ears ???

Ok, I want to change my vote. Can you edit the poll, David?

I've fixed the poll Chrissi. You should be able to change it now. You'll need to remove your vote and then recast it. :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 03:45:38 pm »
I think that it's a dog ! Someone unfortunately took all it's hair off it, unfortunately and brutalised it... that seems so to me.

Pray I do that this does not happen again !

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 04:16:03 pm »
I've fixed the poll Chrissi. You should be able to change it now. You'll need to remove your vote and then recast it. :D

Thanks David. I now voted for a dog. That hind leg we see lokes like a dog's leg, and the lower jaw with its teeth also. Of course the seems-to-be beak and missing hair doesn't fit- but that's why we're having this poll, isn't it?

I'm really curious about that one.

injest

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 10:32:35 am »
skinned cat.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 11:28:53 am »
I think it looks like a turtle without its shell....

Not that ive ever seen a turtle without its shell, or ever heard of one.

And if it is, I hope it was born that way, and not de-shelled by some fisherman.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 08:01:39 pm »
this case has been cracked - it is a labrador retriever that was in the ocean for months.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”