Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 247974 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #470 on: May 09, 2012, 12:52:20 am »

http://zeenews.india.com/news/net-news/doodle-honour-for-howard-tutankhamun-carter_774172.html

Doodle honour for
Howard ‘Tutankhamun’ Carter

Zeenews Bureau
Last Updated: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 09:45

Mountain View, California: After the much appreciated Doodle honouring zip inventor Gideon Sundback, Google is now celebrating the 138th birthday of famous English archaeologist and Egyptologist Howard Carter.

Carter, who gained fame as the discoverer of “Tomb of Tutankhamun”, was honoured by Google by a portrayal of the Tomb of Tutankhamen at the centre of its homepage.

The boy king ‘Tutankhamun’ is undoubtedly the most famous of Egyptian pharaohs. He died in his teens and remained a mystery for over 3300 years until Carter and George Herbert discovered his tomb in the ‘Valley of the Kings’ in 1922.

Tutankhamun's mummy still rests in his tomb and is on display since the last four years. Howard Carter was born in London, England on May 09, 1874. His father, Samuel Carter was a skilled artist and trained his son to follow in his footsteps

After the discovery of “Tomb of Tutankhamun”, Carter gained fame as an expert on Egypt and its treasures. Many films have also been made on the life and adventures of Howard Carter. He died in London on March 2, 1939, at the age of 64 of cancer and lies in rest at the Putney Vale Cemetery in London.

On his gravestone is written: “May your spirit live, May you spend millions of years, you who love Thebes, Sitting with your face to the north wind, your eyes beholding happiness “and “O night, spread thy wings over me as the imperishable stars”.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #471 on: May 10, 2012, 09:22:14 am »

I am such an Egyptophile, I am an absolute geek when it comes to this.  We went and took our children to
see the exhibit when it was in Los Angeles in the In the early 70s.  It was such a wonderful thing to see, speciall for such a lover as I am, of all things ancient Egyptian. 
   Going to Egypt and seeing the sites there in person was on my bucket list for many many years.  The difference is that now days, beyond my health issues, it is almost taking you life in you hand to go there. 
It truly does scare me, after all the killings, kidnappings, and general unrest in that country.  Ah well
I still enjoy seeing the Tut material, and to use it like this is really cool.

Beautiful mind

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #472 on: May 13, 2012, 12:30:50 am »

Mother's Day 2012
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #473 on: May 13, 2012, 05:56:46 am »
So Mothers Day is May for Canada and America? In the UK its March.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #474 on: May 13, 2012, 11:38:57 am »
Here's the full animation:

[youtube=425,350]S29ac3gNVAs&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #475 on: May 13, 2012, 03:04:16 pm »
^^^^^^^^^

Cute!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #476 on: May 18, 2012, 12:09:38 am »

From PCMag:

Wisconsin Second-Grader Wins 2012 'Doodle 4 Google' Contest

By Mark Hachman
May 17, 2012 03:19pm EST

Wisconsin second-grader Dylan Hoffman won Google's latest "Doodle 4 Google" national contest, and will enjoy a $30,00 college scholarship, Google said Thursday.

Hoffman's doodle, "Pirate Times," will be featured on the U.S. Google homepage tomorrow, May 18. It depicts a pirate resting on an island, surrounded by a parrot and treasure, and is in response to the Google's theme: "If I could travel in time I'd visit.."

Hoffman, age 7, also won $50,000 in technology for his school, the Prairie School in Racine, Wisc., a free Chromebook, as well as the honor of being selected for the front of a special edition of the Crayola 64-crayon box.

Four finalists were also chosen from the 114,000 submissions: Talia Mastalski, Grade 5, East Pike Elementary School, Indiana, Penn., for her doodle "Traveling to me"; Herman Wang, Grade 6, Suzanne Middle School, West Covina, Calif., for his doodle "Retro City"; Susan Olvera, Grade 8, SOAR Alternative School, Lafayette, In., for her doodle "Traveling Back to the Future"; and Cynthia Cheng, Grade 11, Edison High School, Edison, NJ, for her doodle "A World of Adventure".

All of the winning doodles will be on display at the New York Public Library from May 18 until July 19, while the state finalists' artwork will be on display within their home states.

Last year, Google had 107,000 entries for the contest, which was themed "What I'd like to do someday." California second grader Matteo Lopez won the grand prize with a doodle that depicted a trip into space, walking on the moon.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #477 on: May 18, 2012, 01:21:00 pm »

That is so adorable, and so summer's beginning friendly.. I just love it.

Beautiful mind

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #478 on: May 23, 2012, 12:31:21 am »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgZL0iVU7SA[/youtube]
Robert Moog's 78th Birthday

If you were a little less productive at work the day Google had that cool Les Paul Doodle on its homepage — you know, the one that let you record your own guitar riffs — be prepared to lose even more time today.

In celebration of Robert Moog, the musical innovator who would have turned 78 today, Google has dedicated today’s Doodle to the inventor of the electronic Moog Synthesizer.

“The new Doodle really came out of the love for what Bob Moog did by creating the Moog digitizer,” Ryan Germick, Google’s chief doodler (his real title!), told ABC News.

And the tribute comes in the form of a cool Internet musical instrument on Google’s homepage today. As with the Les Paul Doodle, you’ll want to have the volume on your computer turned up. When you click the mini-synthesizer’s keys you’ll hear the sweet sounds of electronic tones. Even sweeter, you can tweak the oscillators and modulation.

“This is our most technically ambitious Doodle yet,” Germick said. The chief software engineer of the Moog Doodle, Joey Hurst, even designed it so you can use your  keyboard and the number row to play the keys. You can record, play back, and share songs with a link or on Google+.

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #479 on: May 23, 2012, 12:38:52 am »
Stangely enough, about 6 hours ago, I went for a walk while listening to my i-pod and the Minotaur, by Dick Hyman was one of the songs that came on (it's from mid-1969). It dawned on me at the time that it would have been interesting to have had my students try and identify the instrument(s) heard on this recording. Don't think any of them would have said a moog organ (though I suspect they would have been able to identify it as an organ sound).

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25IiJ5JgBtM[/youtube]