Author Topic: Now It's Too Darned Hot...  (Read 13284 times)

vkm91941

Re: Now It's Too Darned Hot...
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 11:45:52 pm »
105 and 43% humidity on my patio today.  7th day in a row where we had temps climbing close or into the triple digits.  It never use to get that hot here and certainly never that humid.   It's almost 9 pm PDT and it's stil 84 and humidity is up at 48%

Offline GG

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 12:17:26 pm »
two words:  Global warming
meow!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 02:32:27 pm »
My husband and I are energy nazis, so no air conditioning, just fans.  Some consequences: I spend extra time at air-conditioned work -- a good thing; we keep the chocolate in the fridge -- a neutral thing; we ice the cats' necks -- a fun thing; our sex life is, uh, less frisky -- a bad thing.

As energy nazis we're happy in the summer because:
- no hot water needed for showers
- de-humidifier bucket fills twice a day in the basement but is recycled into the happy tomato plants
- we eat lots of salad because of its cool crispness and voila, no cooking

Giancarlo

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 02:50:14 pm »
90F is mild. LOL. It was like 110-115F here in the San Fernando Valley during the weekend.

Not to fear, I hear there is a front coming in from Canada through the central US that ought to bring some relief.

Global warming? Not really. There hasn't been a hurricane or tropical storm yet in the gulf.. which is kinda odd..

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 03:28:15 pm »
We love the summer!!! ;D

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:32:17 pm by Pipedream »

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 03:54:05 pm »
Americans try to cope with oppressive heat By NAHAL TOOSI, Associated Press Writer

Temperatures in the 90s gripped parts of the country on Monday, prompting heat advisories, altered routines and calls for electricity conservation.

On the streets of New York, where the National Weather Service issued a heat advisory for the day, a spot in the shade competed with a parking slot as the most valuable commodity. Men and women made their way under narrow awnings, lounged under trees and took breaks under the large umbrellas of hot dog stands.

But the heat was on.

"It feels oppressive and sticky," said Laura Shaffer, a 30-year-old from Manhattan.

She wasn't walking in the shade. But then again, she was sipping a Diet Coke on her way to work.

In Cleveland, 22 outdoor pools that are normally closed on Mondays and Tuesdays were being opened as Monday marked the second 90-degree day of the year. Temperatures throughout Ohio are expected to hover around 90 the rest of the week.

Tony Godel, working on a remodeling project at a hotel in downtown Cleveland, was already sweating through his brown Corona Extra T-shirt by 10 a.m. He planned to drink a lot of water to cope.

"You get used to it after a while," Godel said. "You know what you're getting into. You're paid to deal with it."

With the hot weather expected to continue, calls also went out for electricity conservation.

Record or not, people were making adjustments: Sunglasses, T-shirts, miniskirts and sunscreen. Iced coffee instead of the heated brew. At least one man carried a towel to wipe his brow.

Shaffer, who studies how corporations deal with environmental issues, decided to buy her lunch at a fast-food restaurant before heading into work so she didn't have to come back outside.

"I think that it's a precursor of what we could be experiencing on a daily basis if we don't do something about global warming," she said near Pennsylvania Station.

But she didn't skimp on the spices for her rice and tomato burrito.

"They actually help keep you cool," she said.

___

Associated Press Writer JoAnn Loviglio in Philadelphia contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:55:44 pm by YaadPyar »
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 04:03:42 pm »
Thanks for posting that Celeste!

Yes, the humidity is really bad too.

Here in Indiana, people are sticking their tongues in the air to quench their thirst.

Oh God, that was really bad.   ::)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 04:05:28 pm »
We love the summer!!! ;D

Oh. Those two little children are so cute.

They remind me of a Hummel figurine!   :)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 06:34:41 pm »
It is over 35°C here, probably the mid 90's Farenheit, or closer to 100, and I am loving it. It is rare in Brittany, known to be the French equivalent of Scotland for the UK !  I just hope it lasts. Even as I am writing (0.30 a.m), it is still 28°C outside (80's?). Would sleep outside if we didn't have the frogs (haha) jumping around.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2006, 06:37:32 pm »
It is over 35°C here, probably the mid 90's Farenheit, or closer to 100, and I am loving it. It is rare in Brittany, known to be the French equivalent of Scotland for the UK !  I just hope it lasts. Even as I am writing (0.30 a.m), it is still 28°C outside (80's?). Would sleep outside if we didn't have the frogs (haha) jumping around.

I'll be more than happy to  send you some of this hot Indiana weather if you want some.   ;)