Author Topic: Batman: (Erotic) Fine Art: DC censors graphic novel showing Batman's penis  (Read 72992 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Batman: (Erotic) Fine Art
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 11:47:53 am »

By the way, Jeff, look!

Eleanor/Batman:

"I even made poor Louis take me on Crusade. How's that for blasphemy.
I dressed my maids as Amazons and rode bare-breasted halfway to Damascus.
Louis had a seizure and I damn near died of windburn... but the troops were dazzled."

I had been looking (ahem) at the images; I didn't even notice the hilariously transgressive captions until you mentioned TLIW--

Looks as though Mr. Chamberlain is another Kate In Winter fan, no??

Thanks so much for your sharp eye!

:laugh:
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 12:09:56 pm »
By the way, Jeff, look!

Eleanor/Batman:

"I even made poor Louis take me on Crusade. How's that for blasphemy.
I dressed my maids as Amazons and rode bare-breasted halfway to Damascus.
Louis had a seizure and I damn near died of windburn... but the troops were dazzled."

I had been looking (ahem) at the images; I didn't even notice the hilariously transgressive captions until you mentioned TLIW--

Looks as though Mr. Chamberlain is another Kate In Winter fan, no??

Thanks so much for your sharp eye!

:laugh:

Isn't it funny? I remember noticing the "troops were dazzled" line and thinking it made no sense in the context of the Batman cartoons. I completely missed the LIW connection there.  :laugh:

Somehow I wil have to share these with my friend "Lord Lorcan." He's an old theater hand, and at the Pennsic War SCA medieval reenactment/recreation in August 2007 he produced and directed a one-night stage performance of TLIW. His Eleanor was no Kate Hepburn, of course, but the lady is a New York professional, and she acquitted herself very well. The real miracle of that show, however, was Henry. The gentleman who was supposed to play Henry, who had worked on the part for months, at the last minute was not able to attend the event. As a replacement Lorcan recruited the gentleman who had played MacDuff in his production of Macbeth two years previously. He had to play Acts I and II with book in hand, but with less than a week to prepare he had Act III by heart. Now, there was a trooper for you!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 02:37:15 pm »
Isn't it funny? I remember noticing the "troops were dazzled" line and thinking it made no sense in the context of the Batman cartoons. I completely missed the LIW connection there.  :laugh:

Somehow I wil have to share these with my friend "Lord Lorcan." He's an old theater hand, and at the Pennsic War SCA medieval reenactment/recreation in August 2007 he produced and directed a one-night stage performance of TLIW. His Eleanor was no Kate Hepburn, of course, but the lady is a New York professional, and she acquitted herself very well. The real miracle of that show, however, was Henry. The gentleman who was supposed to play Henry, who had worked on the part for months, at the last minute was not able to attend the event. As a replacement Lorcan recruited the gentleman who had played MacDuff in his production of Macbeth two years previously. He had to play Acts I and II with book in hand, but with less than a week to prepare he had Act III by heart. Now, there was a trooper for you!

I love stories like that (re Lord Lorcan)--I wonder if young actors still have the same stage ethic--

Hmmm--I'm studying the heiroglyphics in this Chamberlain/Batman piece below--damn, I can't quite make it out, but now I think the 'dialogue' must be from TLIW--

By the way, don't miss the 'naughty' pieces in the series--they're a hoot!
http://www.artnet.com/artist/424157172/mark-chamberlain.html

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 12:00:16 am »
Merci jmmgallagher !

So the Comics Co. ? wants to stop the creator Chamberlain and/or the Gallery owner ??

Where is freedom ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 09:42:26 am »

That's the Corporate Mentality at work, of course...
The article is now three years old, so I don't know how the case went.
(I must say--the prices for the pieces (starting at $200) were extremely affordable. Wonder what they might go for now--if DC Comics actually did take them. Pretty extreme, if so--)

http://www.nyblade.com/2005/9-2/viewpoint/actionalert/dc.cfm

Holy copyright, Batman!
DC Comics wants to halt homoerotic depictions of caped crusaders

By Bo Shell
Friday, September 02, 2005

DC Comics, the publishing giant behind many superhero titles, has put legal pressure on a New York City art dealer and Web site for exhibiting watercolors depicting Batman and Robin in semi-nude, nude and homoerotic poses.

The publishing company sent cease-and-desist letters earlier this month to Kathleen Cullen Fine Art in Chelsea and the owners of Artnet.com for displaying the watercolors by artist Mark Chamberlain. The images include a shirtless Batman and Robin, the dynamic duo embracing and kissing, and the two characters wearing only their capes, masks and gloves.

“I’ve spent the last two weeks of my life consulting lawyers,” Katheen Cullen, owner of Kathleen Cullen Fine Art, told Artnet Magazine in a recent interview.

Cullen said New York-based DC Comics asked her to “hand over all unsold work and invoices for the sold work,” which had been purchased at prices starting at $200.

DC Comics did not respond to repeated requests for comment. Cullen and Chamberlain also could not be reached for comment.

Walter Robinson, the editor of Artnet, said the company also received a letter from DC Comics.

“You know how these copyright things work,” Robinson said. “They rattle their sabers at you, then if you don’t comply they have to decide whether to make a civil action, and a civil action is expensive and complicated with an uncertain outcome and frequently it’s just the saber-rattling move.”

Artnet, a 15-year-old company that recorded $7 million in revenue last year, publishes a magazine and hosts Web sites for several art galleries and an illustrated auction database of fine art values.

“It’s not really my department, but we’re inclined not to give in,” Robinson said. “I think it’s pretty safe under the parody exception of the copyright law.”

U.S. copyright law gives holders exclusive rights to reproduce the copyrighted work, but includes exceptions for fair use. Factors in determining fair use include whether the use is commercial, nonprofit or educational; the nature of the copyrighted work; how much the work at issue compares to the copyrighted work; and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

“Not all parody is going to be privilege under the copyright law,” said Jamie Silverberg, a copyright attorney. “I think the idea behind parody is that in certain cases of parody, … where the work is transformed, the underlying copyright is transformed within a new piece. I think it entails the notion that there is not an infringement on the copyright because you are not relying on the qualities of the original piece.”

Silverberg, the litigation director at the Intellectual Property Group in Washington, D.C., added that he could not rule out a trademark violation in this case.

Many copyright cases end in settlement before litigation and a small percentage make it to federal courts, which have exclusive jurisdiction over such cases, he said.

Patrick Fillion, the British Columbia-based creator of several erotic gay comics, said reproduction of his work by fans is often the highest form of flattery, but selling it for profit is cause for concern.

“The way I see it is that the artist should be entitled to depict fan art,” Fillion said. “I don’t think he should be selling them to make a profit. There are trademark laws and copyright laws that are in place for a reason.”

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 10:06:29 am »
Merci jmmgallagher !

Your post details well, may I say!

I remember an American artist who had created and told me personnaly, I think it was Mickey Mouse he had drawn, but in his own way, and he won his court case when that huge Walt Disney (I think such Studios now foreign owned) went after him !

So, I would imagine that Artist Chamberlain and/or that art gallery won too??

Can you find out... please.

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 07:51:54 pm »
Jmmgallagher, any more such beautiful art ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 07:37:17 pm »
More please.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 12:31:41 am »

Ok!

Here are some Batman images I took in Manhattan's NoHo area in early October with my trusty iPhone!

(I haven't the foggiest, though, how Larry King got in there--that's Art for you!)

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 12:34:52 am »
Wow ! Wow! Wow !

Merci !

More please !