Author Topic: Other notable Alberta productions  (Read 1833 times)

moremojo

Other notable Alberta productions
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:45:10 am »
Hey, gang--

I was wondering if we could compile a list of notable (and even not-so-notable) films and television productions, apart from Brokeback Mountain, that were lensed in the province of Alberta. I'm particularly interested in productions that highlight the beauty and/or special features of the province. I'm also curious about any animated productions that might have been created in an Alberta studio. Here are three titles of which I know:

Silver Streak (1976), directed by Arthur Hiller. It has been many years since I saw this comedy starring Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, but I remember finding it droll. I don't recall any particular feature of the province standing out in the film, and as far as I can remember, nothing in the story makes reference to Canada (remember, it's been quite a few years since my acquaintance with this movie, so forgive if I make errors).

The Reflecting Skin (1990), a psychological horror story directed by Philip Ridley and featuring Lindsay Duncan and Viggo Mortensen. The broad, sweeping grasslands of the province bestow a memorably bleak feel to this disturbing film. The look of the film reminded me of an Andrew Wyeth painting.

"Second City TV" (aka "SCTV" for short), television comedy series commencing in 1976. I was surprised to learn that this legendary series was taped in a studio in Edmonton. I knew that the troupe/show had its Canadian origins in Toronto, and always assumed that that was where taping took place as well.

Any other additions?

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:58:37 pm by moremojo »