Author Topic: In the Land of the Lotus Eaters: New Greenlea Tale  (Read 164006 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: In the Land of the Lotus Eaters: New Greenlea Tale
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2008, 09:30:04 pm »
SPOILERS

SPOILER

Well, Paula sure managed to keep a cool head with that Thyssen character. He was insulting her a as a woman AND as a professional lawyer and she still kept it as civil as possible. Go Paula!

I agree, Fabienne.  She handled the situation beautifully.  "Insufferable blowhard"  is the nicest thing I could say about him.  >:(   I'm glad Wes was so appreciative and I hope Ellery and Colson express their own appreciation when they return (although I hope that's not sooner than planned!).  Thanks, Louise!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2008, 04:05:43 pm »
At last at last...

Chapter 25:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/282306.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2008, 04:39:24 pm »
'A colson shower'?   :laugh:   Love it!

And 'I've got to go see a man about a horse'? I love Oblivious Colson.  :laugh:

And, oh my, Ellery is being a bad boy, and it seems like it's working.  ;D Although I think Ellery was using 'let's make Colson a bit jealous' as a distraction from the intruder case. And Colson went for it. Good for him them.

Great banter between them Louise. Thanks.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2008, 05:35:08 pm »
well I'm sure glad somebody's reading still!  I have been slow about producing those chapters of late, unlike the Old Louise (TM).

Interestingly enough, I have been taking a look at the discussions going on in other parts of the fandom about the now wholesale trend toward stories featuring Dom/Sub relationships between Jack and Ennis, which at the time I wrote the first chapters that bring my dominant Ennis (now Colson) into the open plot, there was a terrible hue and cry about how out of character and disrespectful the entire concept of a dominant Ennis was to the fandom, which is part of what fueled that infamous era in fandom history known as the "Laramie Wars."  Now, of course - dom/sub alternate-universe fanfics are all the rage, but the debate still goes on about the "type of character" that would be likely to be a submissive.

Now, I never intended to make the relationship between Colson and Ellery to be a full-blown BDSM roleplaying lifestyle type relationship.  For one thing, that was never the point of their relationship.  However, I did incorporate into Ellery's character, as a dominant, even arrogant, controlling personality the submissive streak that manifests in his sexual tastes, which I believe provides an interesting contrast and makes him a more interesting character, as well as the source of some comedy relief, such as Colson leaving Ellery tied to the bed when he answers the door.  There is also no real secret about what triggered off the submissive side in Ellery - his early experience of falling in love with the boorish Bruce Eagleton, Jr, which imprinted him with a taste for submitting to a demanding sexual dominant.

However, I think it is fair to say that outside the bedroom (and even sometimes IN the bedroom) there is nothing passive or submissive about Ellery the rest of the time, and in fact his role in the relationship in general is one of assuming the upper hand more often than not.  What do the rest of you think?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2008, 01:48:07 pm »
However, I think it is fair to say that outside the bedroom (and even sometimes IN the bedroom) there is nothing passive or submissive about Ellery the rest of the time, and in fact his role in the relationship in general is one of assuming the upper hand more often than not.  What do the rest of you think?

I think I agree completely!  :)  I've never understood why many people believe that the "submissive streak that manifests itself in sexual tastes" as you so eloquently put it, is a sign of "weakness" in a person.   :-\   That's never made any sense to me.  And I also don't believe you can necessarily tell what kind of sexual tastes a person has just by viewing their public persona.

Now, as for Chapter 25....

SPOILERS

Yeah, I liked the "Colson shower" line, too!  And Ellery is incorrigible, isn't he?   :laugh:  This was a great example of Ellery "assuming the upper hand" in classic Ellery style!  Great stuff, Louise.  Thanks!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2008, 12:58:03 pm »
Ellery is being his incorrigible best, considering he has a limited amount of crime to deal with.  But what crime he DOES have, he is certainly taking over the investigation now! 

And I'm glad he is perceived as just as ornery and pushy as I portray him, because that is the whole point of Ellery's personality!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »
Ellery manages to get Colson to take another chance...!

Chapter 26:  http://louisev.livejournal.com/282450.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »
Ellery manages to get Colson to take another chance...!

Chapter 26:  http://louisev.livejournal.com/282450.html

SPOILERS

Win the trifecta?   :laugh: :laugh:  Oh, that's classic!   And, yes, the paso finos - I'd almost forgotten the purpose of their trip (or, at least, Wes's purpose for their trip  ;) ) !

I have to admit that I'm looking forward to Ellery meeting with the detective.  We'll be seeing some more "classic" Ellery, I'm sure!  Thanks, Louise!

Marie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2008, 09:02:37 pm »
another chapter!  Jeremy has something on his mind.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/282795.html