Author Topic: Canada's elections - October 14  (Read 25373 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Canada's elections - October 14
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 12:11:22 pm »
I hadn't bothered to read up on it. Should I?

Probably not. lol.

Here's a little excerpt that is amusing...

The prime minister admits it's unusual for him to drag a family member into the ugly political fray, but bizarre times call for desperate measures as the party tumbles dangerously into the low 30s in percentage of voter support.

"We're getting this criticism that somehow I don't understand the stock market or understand what people are feeling about the stock market," he told reporters. "I use my mother as an obvious example because she is the person closest to me most worried about the stock market these days. Believe me, I get quicker updates from her on the stock market than from the department of finance."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 12:12:17 pm »
Michel Rivard has produced a wonderful video using 'La complainte du phoque en Alaska' (I trust you're familliar with the legendary song?)

Haha.. Thanks for that laugh, Roland.  ;D

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 11:02:21 pm »
Last night, (Conservative leader) Harper ridiculed Liberal leader Dion.

I was offended to the extreme by this seemingly bigited interpretation of events. I might be wrong. Maybe Dion didn't answer the question, or was unable to focus and give an appropriate answer because he didn't have one (as is being claimed by Harper today), but

The fact that Dion (a francophone) asked 3 times for clarification as to the meaning of the question during an english interview, and then gave an unsatisfactory answer (according to pundits), is no reason to deduct, as he did last night in an impromptu scrum (Harper delayed his planned flight to present this 'evidence') that Dion was unqualified to become Prime Minister.

Seems to me, Harper's attack was more about Dion's less than stellar aquaintance with english.

This entire 'affair' is more a reflection of Harper's moral fiber

Harper is coming off as a racist with this attack. Not a quality I'm looking for in a leader of my country.

(Seems to me Harper's taking on more than just the failed policies of the Republicans. He's also using their disgusting tactics.)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 11:33:18 pm »
Friday night.

Only 3 days left before Tuesday's election (Monday's our Thanksgiving).

Wonder how the markets will behave on Tuesday ... seeing as our Stock Market's gonna be closed on holiday Monday, following a week where the TSE (Toronto Stock Exchange) tanked 16%.

3 days to election day ... and where do you think the leaders of all parties are going to be shaking hands, kissing babies and making speaches during these next 3 days? Toronto, of course.

There are 23 ridings in the city of Toronto and around 15 more in the 'Greater Toronto Area'. Ontario's hasn't really voted Conservative - not until the last elections - and even then, not one Tory seat inside the city limits. Since Harper's now expected to get fewer seats in Quebec than in 2005, his only hope is to improve his numbers in Ontario.

My prediction? Harper is going to have a smaller minority than last time. But he'll still have more seats than any of the other parties.
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 12:58:18 pm »
Last night, (Conservative leader) Harper ridiculed Liberal leader Dion.

I know...He called an 'emergency' press conference, got reporters to watch the interview and then gave them his 'reaction' to it.
It was a rather cheap tactic. 
Most people I've talked to see it as simply that.
I think Harper is scrambling to discredit Dion because he is aware of Dion's potential over his struggling campaign.
It was low.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 11:39:52 am »

Well, Tuesday is here at last.
I am heading to the polls after work today.

Happy Voting!  8)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 02:06:47 pm »
Did mine about 3 hours ago ....

Passed on the faux liberal in my riding and drew an X in the NDP box.

The other two candidates are of no consequence in these parts.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 07:21:02 pm »
Done as well.

Say, Roland, do you get the election results before we do?  (what with the time difference and all...)  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 07:23:17 pm »
I checked on the CBC website just as I posted my last comment:

Some voters to get results earlier than others due to Elections Act

Last Updated: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 | 4:14 PM ET

While Newfoundlanders will be able to view the results of their local elections at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, it will be three hours before residents of British Columbia and the Yukon will have access to those results, thanks to the Canada Elections Act.

The discrepancy in the timing of the release of election results is due to Section 329 of the act, which prevents the transmission of election results in one electoral district where polls have closed to another electoral district where the polls are still open.

Polls in Newfoundland close at 7 p.m. ET, whereas those in the Yukon and British Columbia close at 10 p.m. ET.

"Elections Canada wishes to make sure the voter who has not yet cast their ballot is not influenced by a voter who has already cast their ballot," Grace Lake, spokesperson for Elections Canada in Toronto, told CBCnews.ca on Tuesday.

It was partly due to these regulations that Elections Canada has started polling at different times across the country, she said.

CBCnews.ca begins coverage of the election results at 10 p.m. ET.

Regional CBC-TV broadcasts, meanwhile, will begin coverage of election results 30 minutes before local polls close.

CBC Newsworld will have live coverage of the election results starting at 9 p.m. ET.

British Columbia and the Yukon will experience a blackout between 6:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. PT in compliance with the Canada Elections Act.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/story/2008/10/14/broadcast-regs.html

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 07:57:24 pm »
The polls here were open between 9:30 am and 9:30 pm.

I thought that would mean  the polls would be open at dif'rent times in dif'rent regions (ie, 10:30 in the maritimes, 8:30 in the prairies 7:30 in Alberta and 6:30 in BC) in order to have all polls open & close simultaneously. In this day of instant information off the net, I doubt people who's polls stay open later are not able to find out the results from other regions before theirs close, T.V. airwaves blackouts or not.

Didn't polls use to close at 8:00 pm?