Author Topic: David's "What Is It" For September (Part 4) ** ANSWER POSTED!! **  (Read 36599 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: David's "What Is It" For September (Part 4) ** ANSWER POSTED!! **
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2008, 05:09:05 am »
Actually, SOT used to be a common term in Oz, for a less than nice or less than clean person.
I haven't heard it in ages. Probably a pommie term that my relatives brought with them.   :-\

Yeah, I remember hearing it in English comedy tv shows......BUT IT IS NOT AN AUSSIE WORD.....(Jess)

The English Dictionary says it means "alcoholic".....for that, us Aussies say....piss head, or piss pot
Because we refer to alcohol as piss.....if someone is going out to drink they say  Im gonna get on the piss
And if they get drunk, we say he's pissed as a parrot
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Katie77

« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2008, 05:17:07 am »
sook!! I meant sooky!!

Well...well...well....I did not know that you use that term over there.

Many a time Ive been gonna call you a sook but I didn't know if you would know what it meant.

SOOK !!!!!!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2008, 05:19:50 am »

I would say that's a pretty accurate observation.Whatever I answer is the polar opposite to the correct one !!!
In England friends would ask me when I was taking my holiday, as that would be the 2 weeks when England would have glorious sunshine, and the south of France or Italy would have seasonally unusual, rain, snow, etc.
I would come home a whiter shade of pale, to be met by all these sun bronzed friends !!!

Isn't that what is referred to as Murphy's Law.....when something can go wrong, It will.......

injest

« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2008, 09:36:50 am »
Well...well...well....I did not know that you use that term over there.

Many a time Ive been gonna call you a sook but I didn't know if you would know what it meant.

SOOK !!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

we don't use it....a  little birdie told me!!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2008, 01:26:02 pm »
Isn't that what is referred to as Murphy's Law.....when something can go wrong, It will.......

It's Murphy's law in polite society, in my world it's sod's law!!!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2008, 09:48:03 pm »
Murphy's Law

- If anything can go wrong, it will

- If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong

- If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway

- If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which something can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop

- Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse

- If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something

- Nature always sides with the hidden flaw

- Mother nature is a bitch

Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics
Things get worse under pressure.

The Murphy Philosophy
Smile . . . tomorrow will be worse.

Quantization Revision of Murphy's Laws
Everything goes wrong all at once.

Murphy's Constant
Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value

Murphy's Law of Research
Enough research will tend to support whatever theory.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2008, 04:11:42 am »
Yep, thats Murphy's Law all right....

I recently told the story of a friend of mine from Sydney, happened to him two weekends ago, he was flying north for the weekend, and had put his dog in a dog kennel for safe minding.....

First of all, the plane was delayedthree times, leaving 3hours after the scheduled time. Then they got a phone call to say the dog had escaped from the kennels. So they flew home early which cost an extra $700 to change the flight. Then they didn't find the dog until the Monday morning after finding out,the dog had run across the track of a local greyhound meeting, and stopped the race, on the Saturday night.

And guess what my friends name is........Gary Murphy....... :laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2008, 08:46:09 pm »
Yep, thats Murphy's Law all right....

I recently told the story of a friend of mine from Sydney, happened to him two weekends ago, he was flying north for the weekend, and had put his dog in a dog kennel for safe minding.....

First of all, the plane was delayedthree times, leaving 3hours after the scheduled time. Then they got a phone call to say the dog had escaped from the kennels. So they flew home early which cost an extra $700 to change the flight. Then they didn't find the dog until the Monday morning after finding out,the dog had run across the track of a local greyhound meeting, and stopped the race, on the Saturday night.

And guess what my friends name is........Gary Murphy....... :laugh: :laugh:

Animals have a way of visiting Murphy's Law on us sometimes, don't they?

A few months ago Cody escaped his confines and I frantically went looking for him in my car. As I was driving around I failed to stop at the stop sign in front of the elementary school. Well, actually I didn't stop at all, I ran it, but not on purpose and there happened to be a policeman who witnessed me doing it. I was issued a ticket for $150.00. Traffic violation tickets are much more expensive when they occur near a school. Just after receiving the ticket I headed home for a few minutes and when I turned into the driveway Cody was there waiting for me, sitting in front of the garage door, a big smile on his face, tongue hanging out and wagging his tail. I didn't scold him, but I told him Santa probably wouldn't be visiting him this year.

Anyway, I paid the ticket and Santa DID come for Cody. I can't get mad at that dog. He's so cute. :)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2008, 09:33:37 pm »
Animals have a way of visiting Murphy's Law on us sometimes, don't they?

A few months ago Cody escaped his confines and I frantically went looking for him in my car. As I was driving around I failed to stop at the stop sign in front of the elementary school. Well, actually I didn't stop at all, I ran it, but not on purpose and there happened to be a policeman who witnessed me doing it. I was issued a ticket for $150.00. Traffic violation tickets are much more expensive when they occur near a school. Just after receiving the ticket I headed home for a few minutes and when I turned into the driveway Cody was there waiting for me, sitting in front of the garage door, a big smile on his face, tongue hanging out and wagging his tail. I didn't scold him, but I told him Santa probably wouldn't be visiting him this year.

Anyway, I paid the ticket and Santa DID come for Cody. I can't get mad at that dog. He's so cute. :)

I have no doubt, finding him (or having him waiting for you at home) was worth far more than the $150.

When it comes to animals, our families have always been suckers, and because of that have always been reaching into our wallets.

When we lived on our 25acre hobby farm, surrounded by 1000 acre sheep properties, my son was exploring on the property next door one time, and found a sheep caught in some wire. It had been there a few days and the birds had started pecking at one of his eyes. So my son untangled it, carried it down the hill and back to our house, which was quite a feat as it was fully grown and full of wool. He then put the sheep in the boot of the car and travelled 40miles into town to the vet, who did surgery, removing the eye and stitching it up, and gave us ointment to stave off infection. The vet was very conservative with his account and only charged us $200.

The sheep was probably only worth $30, and if the farmer had found it, he probably would have just put a bullet it him.

Well, he lived a happy life with us from then on, and ended up dying of old age, some five years later. Because he only had one eye we called him Cyclops.  He was qute accident prone, because a year or so after we had him, he got his horn caught in a fence, and lost that too. So he was one eyed and one horned, but we loved him.

I guess I should have this story over in Animals in our Lives, instead of here....but reading your story David, just made me remember this.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2008, 09:53:26 pm »
Aww! That sheep was so lucky to be adopted into your family. I love hearing stories like this! :D