Author Topic: Who Loves Fish?  (Read 120078 times)

mvansand76

Re: Who Loves Fish?
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2007, 08:24:48 am »
That is the best fertilizer you can use. My Mother did this same thing after returning from the fishmonger. If I remember correctly, she and Dad would sometimes compost some of the fish heads along with cow excrement. It sounds disgusting, and actually it was. But after they tilled it into the garden, we would end up with HUGE tomatoes; some as large as soft balls. All the fruits and vegetables were very large and healthy. Gosh, now I'm in the mood to plant a garden. Too bad there's so much snow outside right now.  :(

I know this sounds kind of weird, but I always thank the animal before I consume it. It gave its life so I could live. But I'm getting to be more and more like Melissa, I think. I'm beginning to eat much more vegetables and fruit, and less meat.

Sometimes I can't believe how much better I feel now that I eat almost no meat and more fruit and vegetables, I have lost almost 15 pounds and I feel so much more energized (is that the word). If I do end up eating meat, then I feel it immediately!

That sounds really interesting about the fish heads in the compost! Guess you can start that vegetable garden once the snow clears huh?

I tried to make Turkish pizzas last night, the topping (minced meat, you can use the tofu kind, red onions, spring onions, blanched tomatoes and parsley) I was able to make, but the base didn't come out the way it should. When it is done right, you can roll it up and dip it in mayo/yoghurt/chives/parsley sauce! Yummy!

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2007, 08:32:33 am »
I know this sounds kind of weird, but I always thank the animal before I consume it. It gave its life so I could live. But I'm getting to be more and more like Melissa, I think. I'm beginning to eat much more vegetables and fruit, and less meat.

I've found myself thinking harder and harder about where I spend my grocery money as the years have gone by. I can't remember the last time I bought meat - I usually only have it if someone else cooks it for me at a dinner party! The exception to this is bacon - I do love a good bacon sandwich  :P - but I buy good quality, organic bacon that is farmed locally. I also get all my fruit and veg from a local organic farmer who does a great box delivery scheme. The beauty of this is that you only eat produce when it's in season and this makes your diet more varied and forces you to become more adventurous as a cook (e.g. What the hell am I going to do with this marrow??). A friend of mine who is an excellent vegetarian cook is always getting phone calls from me asking how the hell to cook a particular vegetable! It feels good to know that at least some of your money is supporting local famers rather than supermarket corporations.

I absolutely could not give up fish though!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 06:01:21 pm by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2007, 05:49:35 pm »
What's a marrow?? Saucy, tuna would be very good in a fish taco, as is marlin. I like striped bass, and cod is surprisingly good too. I also love catfish, although it is a bit crumbly. And for all you vegetarians, tofu is great in fish tacos!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2007, 06:09:13 pm »
What's a marrow?? Saucy, tuna would be very good in a fish taco, as is marlin. I like striped bass, and cod is surprisingly good too. I also love catfish, although it is a bit crumbly. And for all you vegetarians, tofu is great in fish tacos!

I like the sound of marlin and catfish but haven't tried either as i've no proper fishmonger nearby and have to rely on the bloody supermarket!

FYI, this is a marrow - it's from the same vegetable family as pumpkins and courgettes/zucchinis. Very tasty when cooked in the right way (i.e. when my veggie cook friend does it! :P)

The marrow's on the left...

Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2007, 06:02:51 pm »
It's funny what I can find down in the basement if I look hard enough.  :)

Remember this great poll by Lee (Front-Ranger)? We all had a lot of fun with this poll last year. I thought I would ressurect it because we now have some new members who might have not seen it yet.

So here it is again: Lee's infamous "Who Loves Fish" poll!

Enjoy!!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2007, 06:07:02 pm »
I like the sound of marlin and catfish but haven't tried either as i've no proper fishmonger nearby and have to rely on the bloody supermarket!

FYI, this is a marrow - it's from the same vegetable family as pumpkins and courgettes/zucchinis. Very tasty when cooked in the right way (i.e. when my veggie cook friend does it! :P)

The marrow's on the left...

Nicky! Please come back to us!!!

We miss you and your awesome sense of humor around here!!!  :'(

:-*  :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2007, 08:05:30 pm »
I second that!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2007, 10:01:24 pm »
I am not really new here anymore, (at least I don't think I am) but I have never seen this before.

I figured I would jump in.

The only food that was a living animal that I love is smoked salmon, or lox from where I come from.  I love it.  But I decided that if I was to be a real vegatarian it is sort of hypocritical to keep on eating that while I don't eat any other meat or fish, so I haven't had any in around ten years.  It wouldn't be right to the poor salmon.  But I it was my absolute favorite for a long time.  Don't care much for any other fish, so I don't really miss eating them.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2007, 04:50:22 pm »
I am not really new here anymore, (at least I don't think I am) but I have never seen this before.

I figured I would jump in.

The only food that was a living animal that I love is smoked salmon, or lox from where I come from.  I love it.  But I decided that if I was to be a real vegatarian it is sort of hypocritical to keep on eating that while I don't eat any other meat or fish, so I haven't had any in around ten years.  It wouldn't be right to the poor salmon.  But I it was my absolute favorite for a long time.  Don't care much for any other fish, so I don't really miss eating them.

I'm mostly a vegatarian too Marleen. I do sometimes fry up a batch of chicken for friends and family... or a hamburger. I'm not a big fan of fish though. I do like shrimp and lobster tails! But I don't like any animals with fins!  :P

And no, you're not a newbie anymore Marleen! You're a veteran Bettermostian now!  :D

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2007, 05:30:38 pm »
Thanks David, for making it official. ;D