Author Topic: How Will You Celebrate Halloween This Year?  (Read 18410 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: How Will You Celebrate Halloween This Year?
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 08:07:46 am »

Halloween isn't really celebrated in Australia. However, I've noticed in the past couple of years that a small group of neighbourhood children, all very young (under 10yo), have been dressing-up and going door-to-door. It appears to be very low-key and all over by nightfall, because of their young age. I'm in a high-rise apartment building with security access intercom downstairs, so they don't target my building. The children appear to be having fun, albeit somewhat embarrassed and reluctant to knock on stranger's doors (I look down upon it all happening from my vantage point above), but the accompanying adults look to be anything but enraptured. They look like guards on a prison death march. I've never heard of adult Halloween celebrations here in Oz. No-one decorates their homes. Halloween parties are unheard of. If I were to wear a Halloween costume to work (a hospital), I would be locked-up in the on-campus psych ward for sure. "Kerry's finally cracked," they'd say, "I told you it'd happen one day!"  :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 08:20:11 am »
Kerry, those trick or treating kids may have been started by my friend.

lmao!

a number of years ago, one of my friends held dual citizenship, for US and Austrailia.

On her first Halloween there, she invited her friends to her flat for a Halloween party.  She explained the custom to them, and they all came in costume and she decorated the house, but with US decorations, as she could find none over there.

Well, she made them all go out trick or treating, and the people whos doors they knocked on had no idea what was going on!

Ava told me that when they got back, they had collected note pads, plastic fruit, cigarettes and various other things from people who had no candy around.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 08:57:10 am »
Well, she made them all go out trick or treating, and the people whos doors they knocked on had no idea what was going on!

Ava told me that when they got back, they had collected note pads, plastic fruit, cigarettes and various other things from people who had no candy around.

:laugh:

What, no Foster's?  :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 09:44:49 am »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 10:11:07 am »
Kerry, those trick or treating kids may have been started by my friend.

lmao!

a number of years ago, one of my friends held dual citizenship, for US and Austrailia.

On her first Halloween there, she invited her friends to her flat for a Halloween party.  She explained the custom to them, and they all came in costume and she decorated the house, but with US decorations, as she could find none over there.

:laugh: I'm surprised they didn't get black-eyes and dog bites!   :o   ;)   :laugh:

You've made me think, Chuck. A couple of years ago, a new family moved into a house across the street from me. I live very close to Sydney's Little Italy and they look to be a young Italio-Australian family with three little girls. The father appears to be the ring-leader of this new Halloween custom and the participants meet-up at their house. Certainly, it seemed to start at about the same time they moved in. And he is the only adult who appears to enjoy the door-to-door exercise. He's like a big kid. He dressed-up as a wizard last year and really gets into the fun with the kids. As opposed to the other adults who look to be dreading every moment. I've only observed this all from high above and have never heard his voice. Now I'm wondering if he's not Italio-Australian at all. Maybe he's Italio-American and has brought this new custom to Australia with him.  :D

P.S., What does "Imao!" mean?  ???
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 10:18:30 am »
P.S., What does "Imao!" mean?  ???

Kerry, 

That's an "L." It's "LMAO," meaning "Laughing my ass off."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 10:36:42 am »
Kerry, 

That's an "L." It's "LMAO," meaning "Laughing my ass off."  ;D

Thank you kindly.  :)  I've seen it used a couple of times and wondered what it meant.  :-\  I remember when I first arrived here at BetterMost and was very new to all this, Jess (injest) used the expression ROTFL. I had to ask her what it meant.  ::)  Now I use it myself!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 11:26:12 am »
Thank you kindly.  :)  I've seen it used a couple of times and wondered what it meant.  :-\  I remember when I first arrived here at BetterMost and was very new to all this, Jess (injest) used the expression ROTFL. I had to ask her what it meant.  ::)  Now I use it myself!  :D

Of course, there is also ROTFLMAO, which is "rolling on the floor laughing my ass off."  ;D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 04:34:27 pm »
Anyone else going to dress up?

I'm thinking I take my black combat boots, black jeans, and leather jacket.  Add a bunch of gothic jewelry, use makeup to pale my face, and add dark circles to the eyes, and a pair of black feather wings, and go as a demon/fallen angel.

I told Rich (LoneLeeB3) about it, and his reply was I was "too sweet" to pull that off.

Now I want to do it even more.

Now, that's  funny!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 04:48:33 pm »
I voted 'other'.

We don't really celebrate Halloween over here. To us, it's more of a commercial thing that came over from the US, like Valentine's day. The shops are nicely decorated and our local bakery now has chocolates witches on sale, so I'm not complaining.  ;D

In my village there is a tradition of a 'witches walk' through the woods on the last Saturday before November 1st. I think it's the 30th time it's been organised this year.
20 groups of about 30 people go on a  2h30min walk in the woods after dark with a guide. No lights are allowed. And along this walk you'll meet all sorts of weird and scary creatures and stories are told about the underworld where the witches live. There are even witches on horseback galloping through the woods in the pitch dark. Very scary and impressing. Although I had to laugh last year when my oldest daughter actually recognised one of the horses from the stables where we go riding! LOL

My husband will be a guide again this year. It's his third year and he'll be dressed as a monk.  ::) It's a fun way to spend a Saturday evening. I'm hoping for good weather.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'