Author Topic: How Will You Celebrate Halloween This Year?  (Read 18532 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: How Will You Celebrate Halloween This Year?
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »
Since my friends and I will be going to Young Frankenstein on Saturday, we are thinking of dressing up as Frankenstein, the Monster, and Inga or the fiance on Friday at a costume party.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 05:15:24 pm »
I voted 'other'.

We don't really celebrate Halloween over here. To us, it's more of a commercial thing that came over from the US, like Valentine's day. The shops are nicely decorated and our local bakery now has chocolates witches on sale, so I'm not complaining.  ;D

In my village there is a tradition of a 'witches walk' through the woods on the last Saturday before November 1st. I think it's the 30th time it's been organised this year.
20 groups of about 30 people go on a  2h30min walk in the woods after dark with a guide. No lights are allowed. And along this walk you'll meet all sorts of weird and scary creatures and stories are told about the underworld where the witches live. There are even witches on horseback galloping through the woods in the pitch dark. Very scary and impressing. Although I had to laugh last year when my oldest daughter actually recognised one of the horses from the stables where we go riding! LOL

My husband will be a guide again this year. It's his third year and he'll be dressed as a monk.  ::) It's a fun way to spend a Saturday evening. I'm hoping for good weather.

Oh, the Witches Walk sounds like FUN! And spooky! I'd love it! :D

Do they celebrate St. Maarten's Day in Belgium Fabienne?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 06:15:18 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 06:19:24 pm »
I'd like to watch a scary movie and go out latter.  But I've seen most scary movies. Don't care the for gore fest film of the 1980's thru present day.   I think Rosemary's Baby is one of my favorites horror pictures though not terribly scary.  The orginal version of The Haunting was also quite good.  I've seen all the Hammer Films. An American Werewolf in London I've seen way too many times.

Anyone have any suggestions.   ???

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 06:25:38 pm »
I voted 'other'.

We don't really celebrate Halloween over here. To us, it's more of a commercial thing that came over from the US, like Valentine's day. The shops are nicely decorated and our local bakery now has chocolates witches on sale, so I'm not complaining.  ;D

In my village there is a tradition of a 'witches walk' through the woods on the last Saturday before November 1st. I think it's the 30th time it's been organised this year.
20 groups of about 30 people go on a  2h30min walk in the woods after dark with a guide. No lights are allowed. And along this walk you'll meet all sorts of weird and scary creatures and stories are told about the underworld where the witches live. There are even witches on horseback galloping through the woods in the pitch dark. Very scary and impressing. Although I had to laugh last year when my oldest daughter actually recognised one of the horses from the stables where we go riding! LOL

My husband will be a guide again this year. It's his third year and he'll be dressed as a monk.  ::) It's a fun way to spend a Saturday evening. I'm hoping for good weather.

I had read that Halloween was starting to catch on in Sweden, but that ppl were becoming concerned about the Americanization of their culture and so it was dying out. Was this ever the case in Belgium?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 09:26:28 pm »

You know I love you, Chuckie, even as a dark angel.   8)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 09:36:36 pm »
You know I love you, Chuckie, even as a dark angel.   8)

;D    :-*

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 10:01:06 pm »
Anyone have any suggestions.   ???

I'm partial to the "romantic" Dracula, with Frank Langella. Used to watch that every Halloween.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 10:20:24 pm »

Oh, what a great idea - sounds like a lot of fun!

Hopefully, if the weather cooperates, we'll bring the fire pit out front and set up our jack-o-lanterns and hand out candy to the kiddies. 

There are also lots of drinks stops for the grown ups.One guy has a band in his driveway and pizza and drinks. Another family always have a Budweiser stand, draught Bud. There sre so many margharita stops I could be drunk by the bottom of my road !!!

Wow - a band in the driveway!  Cool.  I haven't seen anyone do that yet, but we have lots of drink stops, too.  For those of us who aren't taking trick or treaters out anymore, we kind of just visit with neighbors and share drinks.  Of course, this all depends on the weather.  We've had everything from snow to 70 degrees on Halloween night!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 10:56:09 pm »
I'd like to watch a scary movie and go out latter.  But I've seen most scary movies. Don't care the for gore fest film of the 1980's thru present day.   I think Rosemary's Baby is one of my favorites horror pictures though not terribly scary.  The orginal version of The Haunting was also quite good.  I've seen all the Hammer Films. An American Werewolf in London I've seen way too many times.

Anyone have any suggestions.   ???

The Shining

Interview With The Vampire

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992 I think) or any of the old B&W Dracula, Wolfman or Mummy movies! :)

The Strangers is coming out on DVD this month which I plan to buy and watch on Halloween.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.