Author Topic: Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review  (Read 41762 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review
« on: June 20, 2006, 06:53:48 pm »
Ok I merged all my threads asking about movies into one....so I'm just gonna change the subject everytime I have a question and bump it to the top...
Any good?   Been a few years...and all I seem to remember is a particular Halle Berry and well....you know... :)

Any comments would be appreciated...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 12:50:57 am by The CHRIS »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: OT: Monster's Ball?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 07:00:53 pm »
Any good?   Been a few years...and all I seem to remember is a particular Halle Berry and well....you know... :)

Any comments would be appreciated...

I rented it a month or two ago. I had never seen it before but wanted to because this is the movie that caught McMurtry's eye for Heath to play Ennis.

Heath is only in it for about 20 minutes and his 20 minutes are very good although his exit is abrupt and shocking (I don't want to give anything away here for people who might not have seen it). I wasn't prepared for this and it was upsetting. The rest of the movie I didn't care for, myself, but there are plenty of critics who don't agree with me.

At the same time I rented this, I rented Monster (big surprise, they were right next to each other on the shelf). Another disturbing movie but I thought it was excellent. If someone handed me both DVDs and said pick one or the other, I'd choose Monster, but neither of them are walks in the garden...if ya know what I mean.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 07:27:06 pm »
Heath is only in it for about 20 minutes and his 20 minutes are very good although his exit is abrupt and shocking (I don't want to give anything away here for people who might not have seen it). I wasn't prepared for this and it was upsetting. The rest of the movie I didn't care for, myself, but there are plenty of critics who don't agree with me.

I hadn't been expecting it either; it was very shocking and I burst into tears.  Honestly.  A very heartbreaking moment...   :'(
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 09:12:25 pm »
Ok, now you guys are making me want to watch this movie again! Because I remember what happens, but I don't remember being all that moved by it... though I do remember being surprised by how good Heath was.  I had been a fan of his for a while, but it was always in that guilty oh man I like the guy from 10 Things I Hate About You kind of way.  I definitely see why they saw Ennis in this performance.  Maybe I'll have to rent it again...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 09:37:08 pm »
Cool!  Thanks everyone!!!

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 10:23:35 pm »
Ok, I just rented it... oh the power of suggestion... I also now really want a hot dog because I just watched a special on Oscar Mayer on the food network... see, this is what I do when I'm no longer in school  :-\
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 12:17:17 pm »
I was curious also, and rented Monster's Ball just to see Heath.

What's astonishing is the similarity to Ennis:  the accent is very similar, there is a parallel "vomiting" scene, and the father/son tension. There's even a line that's the same in BBM.

I would recommend watching the first part to see Heath's performance; I can understand why a director would peg him as a serious actor. It's a moving performance.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 01:41:22 pm »
 :) for the record, this was my first glimpse of Heath (never saw the Patriot, Lords of Dogtown, etc.) and I was very impressed.  Unfortunately the movie itself is so intense and grim that I have a really hard time watching it again.  But that said, Hallie definitely earned her Oscar and Heath was great in such a short role..................
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 10:48:40 am »
I suppose I'll watch it someday then...thanks all!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 11:01:46 am »
I suppose I'll watch it someday then...thanks all!

Given what's going on in your life, Chris, I am not sure I'd recommend this at this time. Go find something light, like "A Knight's Tale."
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!