Author Topic: How are you spending the summer solstice?  (Read 314794 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: How are you spending the summer solstice?
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2015, 12:43:15 pm »
Thank you so much for those uplifting words, Chuck!   ::)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2015, 02:32:41 pm »
anytime!  ;)  :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2015, 02:45:18 pm »
 ;)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2015, 06:29:25 pm »
Once again, I'm being a contrarian. I love nights...cozy winter nights, ice clear fall evenings, misty spring nights, and especially the "black sacred night" of summer, as Louis Armstrong called it in Wonderful World. I am not a big fan of being woken by a glow in the East and birds chirping when it's not even 5 o'clock in the morning! So, I'm happy to see and celebrate the Solstice. Yippee!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2015, 12:04:46 am »
Here in the Rocky Mountains, the festivities are just starting!!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2015, 02:45:54 pm »
I went to the Mid winter festival in Dunedin last night. Unfortunately the procession started a bit late so I could not stay for the fireworks as my bus only runs once per hour and I did not fancy sitting around in the cold waiting for the next one. Sunset was 5pm and sunrise will be 8.21am this morning. Last night was fine but snow is forecast for tonight. However there was  big dump of snow inland a few days ago but we got nothing.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2015, 06:11:48 pm »
Once again, I'm being a contrarian. I love nights...cozy winter nights, ice clear fall evenings, misty spring nights, and especially the "black sacred night" of summer, as Louis Armstrong called it in Wonderful World. I am not a big fan of being woken by a glow in the East and birds chirping when it's not even 5 o'clock in the morning! So, I'm happy to see and celebrate the Solstice. Yippee!

Yeah, nights are cool, aren't they?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2015, 06:17:37 pm »
I went to the Mid winter festival in Dunedin last night. Unfortunately the procession started a bit late so I could not stay for the fireworks as my bus only runs once per hour and I did not fancy sitting around in the cold waiting for the next one. Sunset was 5pm and sunrise will be 8.21am this morning. Last night was fine but snow is forecast for tonight. However there was  big dump of snow inland a few days ago but we got nothing.

Oh yeah,  I keep forgetting you guys are into winter.  Glad you had a good night.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2015, 09:32:26 am »
Happy St.-Jean-Baptiste Day!

I understand that once upon a time, it was thought that today was the summer solstice. Apparently when Julius Caesar's astrologers/astronomers revised the old Roman calendar, to create what we now call the Julian Calendar, they weren't as smart as Caesar thought they were, and they miscalculated the dates of the solstices and the equinoxes. This is why early Christianity decided to celebrate the birth of John the Baptist on this date; the Church thought it was opposing a Christian celebration to the old pagan solstice celebration.

Caesar's guys should have visited Stonehenge. Apparently the builders of Stonehenge got it right.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2015, 10:07:43 am »
I don't have any problem with the summer solstice or this time being called midsummer (or midsommer). But I do have a problem with people talking about "late summer" now. Heavens, June isn't even over yet!