Author Topic: How are you spending the summer solstice?  (Read 314789 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: How are you spending the summer solstice?
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2014, 10:38:57 pm »
I must confess that I have a problem with people who hate the summer solstice. Would you dislike a rosebud, because it will eventually become a flower, and then grow old and die? How about a baby, who will eventually grow up and become an adult, and then grow old, etc.? I say, let us welcome the solstice that marks the beginning of summer, and throw off our cloaks of doubt and sorrow, dance and enjoy the carefree days as we were meant to do!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2014, 12:42:52 am »
I must confess that I have a problem with people who hate the summer solstice. Would you dislike a rosebud, because it will eventually become a flower, and then grow old and die? How about a baby, who will eventually grow up and become an adult, and then grow old, etc.? I say, let us welcome the solstice that marks the beginning of summer, and throw off our cloaks of doubt and sorrow, dance and enjoy the carefree days as we were meant to do!

Nope, not me. For me it doesn't mark the beginning of summer; it has been summer, weather-wise, for a good while now, and it's like this most years.
For me it marks the beginning of the end of the long days, and I dislike that immensely. It's a reminder that a part of the better days in a year is already behind us. Not like a rose bud, but like the first rose in a bouquet that begins to wither long before the others. It's still a nice bouquet to enjoy, but I don't like that one rose.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2014, 09:11:51 am »
For me it marks the beginning of the end of the long days.

I try not to think about that.  :(

Especially since I will probably not get to do any traveling this fall, my favorite season (September doesn't count as fall for me), but that's a topic for another thread, or my blog.

Meanwhile, I'm sort of planning that tomorrow night I will have a dinner of steak, baked potato, and brussels sprouts, watch an episode or two of Wagon Train on DVD, and then go out and get drunk as I usually do.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2014, 10:26:28 am »
Everyone, I have reset this poll, so you need to vote again. Also, you can vote for more than one thing. Please vote!!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2014, 12:37:55 pm »
Stuck in this fucking goddamn office, probably still listening to the same stupid OCD woman talking about her fucking chickens.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2014, 02:18:18 pm »
Okay, I voted Doing something new and Other.

Something new is not entirely correct, but comes closest. My hubby's company is throwing a big, fat WM-Party (Soccer World Championship-Party) tomorrow and we're going. There's gonna be games and entertainment, coffee+cake, later dinner and after that public viewing of the Germany soccer match.
We've been to such events before, but they are rare, so I count it as almost new. They always have so, so many different kinds of food, normally as booths from different countries. I love trying foreign stuff, so this is right up my alley. You can have a typical Argentinian snack followed by something Hungarian, then a specialty from Switzerland and end up with a Japanese dessert for example. Yum!

The "Other" part is my usual ignoring of the solstice. ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2014, 06:19:43 pm »
Yay, Chrissi! Boo, Truman...that's a GDBOAUS!!  >:(

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2014, 10:23:30 am »
I think this is the first time I have seen the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere. In recent years I have travelled up here in either your Spring or Fall. I am only later this year becasue I was told Glacier National Park is not fully open until late June.
I have missed the Mid-winter carnival which is great fun in Dunedin. I read the fireworks were cancelled due to high winds. However the lantern parade went ahead.
I cannot post pictures from the paper when I do not have a mouse. If you are really interested
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/306692/city-lights-midwinter-carnival

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2014, 03:55:12 pm »
I celebrated Midsummer's night yesterday with friends the usual Swedish way. It's one of the biggest holidays of the year here.

Pickled herring, new potatoes, chives, hard boilied eggs, sour cream. Yum!  And for desert strawberries.

And schnapps!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2014, 04:57:29 pm »
I celebrated Midsummer's night yesterday with friends the usual Swedish way. It's one of the biggest holidays of the year here.

Pickled herring, new potatoes, chives, hard boilied eggs, sour cream. Yum!  And for desert strawberries.

And schnapps!
That looks good. Never tried pickled herring but would like to do so nor schnapps but think I would give that a miss.
I forgot to add that midsummer down in the southern hemisphere gets lost being a few days before Christmas.