Author Topic: Summer Recipes  (Read 3402 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Summer Recipes
« on: June 22, 2006, 08:23:04 pm »
OK, folks. It's really hot where I am, and while trying to figure out what to do about dinner, the weather and temperature is always a factor. I'm thinking something light and cool. Any way, I'm trying a new recipe today, and I'm really liking it, so I thought I'd share it with you all. It's a White Grape Gazpacho. I've posted the original recipe below, but I altered it a bit. I replaced the white grape juice with a white wine instead. and instead of rice wine vinegar, I used balsamic. I also left out the walnut, but because I didn't feel like buying more than I was going to use.

For tonight, I'm combining this with a nice light, white toast with cream cheese and smoked salmon. yum.

Any way, all you fine folks wanna throw in your own ideas of great summer recipes to share with us all, just post away.

1 small cucumber, seeded and chopped (approximately 1 cup)
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped (approximately 1 cup)
1 cup chopped tomatillos (approximately 3 medium tomatillos)
1 pound seedless green grapes (approximately 3 cups)
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup white grape juice
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
6 large mint leaves
Kosher salt

Place half of the cucumbers, apples, and tomatillos into the bowl of a food processor. Add all of the grapes, walnuts, yogurt, grape juice, vinegar, and mint. Pulse 9 to 10 times. Combine with the remaining half of the cucumber, apple, and tomatillo. Season with salt, to taste. Chill for 2 hours in the refrigerator before serving. Serve as an appetizer or soup course.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Summer Recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 02:39:04 am »

Any way, all you fine folks wanna throw in your own ideas of great summer recipes to share with us all, just post away.

Starboardlight -

Wow, that really sounds good. I'll have to give it a try sometime soon.  :)

I have a few recipes too. I'll get them together and post them. :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 12:15:12 am »
One of my favorites for hot days

Chopped Salad with Vinaigrette

Dressing Ingredients: 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, fresh ground black pepper to taste, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon honey

Salad: 1 garlic clove, 1 head romaine lettuce, 1 head Chinese cabbage, 2 tomatoes 1 yellow bell pepper, 1 red bell pepper, 1 cup craisins, 1 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup feta cheese, 2 cups croutons

Directions: Whisk all ingredients for the dressing in a mixing bowl and refrigerate, covered, for 10 minutes. Gently crush garlic clove and rub inside a large salad bowl. Chop up lettuce and cut vegetables into bite-size pieces. Add to bowl. Toss the salad with dressing and croutons just before serving.

**also great if you get the sliced cold grilled chicken breast in the deli-case and toss a package in or 1/2 pound of pre-cooked shrimp.

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 12:50:57 am »
and my kids love this one, we make it for family gatherings and beach parties but it's easy to reduce and better the next day so left overs are no problem

Summer Spaghetti Salad
Makes about 16 servings.

Ingredients
1 - package thin spaghetti (16 ounces), break in half
3 - medium tomatoes, diced
3 - zucchinis, diced
1 - cucumber, diced
1 - green pepper, diced
1 - red pepper, diced
1-yellow pepper diced
8 - ounces of Italian salad dressing
2 - tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 8oz package for sliced dry salami, cut into half circles
1-1/2 - teaspoons sesame seeds
1-1/2 - teaspoons sunflower seeds
1/2 - teaspoon paprika
1/4 - teaspoon celery seed
1/8 - teaspoon garlic powder

diections 
Cook spaghetti according to package directions.  Drain and rinse in cold water.  

Place in a large bowl and add tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, Salami and peppers. 

Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl.  

Pour over salad and toss to coat.  

Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 12:52:55 am by vkm91941 »

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 01:03:50 am »
I made the White Grape Gazpacho tonight Nipth, delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 11:06:20 pm »
some really simple cool and refreshing deserts....

Strawberry Shortcake Truffle (just made up that name, not really sure what it's called for real...)

slice a bunch of strawberries and sugar them, let them sit and get juicy

chop up some pound cake

in a trifle dish, put a layer of chopped pound cake, then a layer of the sugared strawberries, then a layer of cool whip

repeat these layers until your heart's content!

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

Get some boxes of cheap ice cream sandwiches, in a rectangle cake pan, put a layer of icecream sandwiches across the bottom, spread with cool whip, drizzle hot fudge, then sprinkle peanuts.  Then do another layer of ice cream sandwiches, spread with cool whip, drizzle hot fudge, sprinkle peanuts... then freeze, super easy and very very tasty

‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 01:34:33 am »
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

Get some boxes of cheap ice cream sandwiches, in a rectangle cake pan, put a layer of icecream sandwiches across the bottom, spread with cool whip, drizzle hot fudge, then sprinkle peanuts.  Then do another layer of ice cream sandwiches, spread with cool whip, drizzle hot fudge, sprinkle peanuts... then freeze, super easy and very very tasty

Oh Wow! That sounds really good. I LOVE ice cream. I KNOW I'm going to be trying this one! This sounds like something good to serve on the Fourth of July when everyone is sitting outside watching the fireworks. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Midnight24

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Miss Princess
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 02:56:21 am »
some really simple cool and refreshing deserts....

Strawberry Shortcake Truffle (just made up that name, not really sure what it's called for real...)

slice a bunch of strawberries and sugar them, let them sit and get juicy

chop up some pound cake

in a trifle dish, put a layer of chopped pound cake, then a layer of the sugared strawberries, then a layer of cool whip

repeat these layers until your heart's content!

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

Wow, those sound really good!!! I'm not supposed to eat sweets, but I can't help it.  :laugh: Why must it be so good?
~*One kiss...and bam...you're mine*~
Total and Complete Jake Lover!!!

vkm91941

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 05:45:04 pm »
I make a trifle like that Mandy, gonna have to try the ice cream sandwich cake...I love ice cream sandwiches... hmmmm

my family also likes these when we're watching TV or a DVD on a warm summer night.......

Take 1 pint of heavy whipping cream, 8 oz of softened cream cheese and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed.  Then use as a dip for fresh strawberries, pineapple spears, mellon balls and grapes.  Delicious

or 1 container of cool whip mixed with 2 cups of  softened orange sherbet and chocolate shavings.  Return to freezer for 10 minutes....Then use as a dip for fresh strawberries, pineapple spears, mellon balls and grapes...yummy
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 05:48:41 pm by vkm91941 »