Author Topic: thanks largely to two gay cowboys on the big screen . . .  (Read 6439 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: thanks largely to two gay cowboys on the big screen . . .
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 03:28:58 pm »
I never cared a bit about Oscars until this year, but I'm down with the champagne and Brokeback Mountain plan.  Wee could compose a group letter to the Academy.  We'll have to remember to mark the calendar when the date is known.

It might take some moral support, though, because if Jake or Heath or their work happen to be nominated again, I would still be tempted to watch.  But it would only be to see them, because the rest of it holds no credence with me, of course.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 04:36:46 am »
I've always been a huge fan of the Oscars.  They get it wrong as much as right, but I've found that all of the big critics favorites usually get nominated for screenplay at least.  So it's a good way to choose your rentals.

I'm gonna have one some day.  Don't know if it'll be for acting or songwriting or what, but something.

Like a dog that destroys your furniture, they ticked me off but I still love them.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 05:18:24 am »
No matter what happens between now and next March [ snip] on Oscar night 2007, at some point, we will all get our own bottles of champagne (or refreshments of our choice), check in here, and provide each other moral support.

The ratings for the Oscars broadcast have been plummeting so much each year anyway that it would hardly be noticable...

Good plan! One year is a long time in fandom terms, and much may have happened till then, I know from prior experience - but I *will not* watch the Oscars again.  Nor speculate about the winners and what not up-front. Even if Heath or Jake or Michelle or Anne are up for new Oscars.  Or even if I (what seems strangely improbable at this juncture) fall head over heals in love with another film that gets a slate of nominations.  I'd feel like such a hypocrite. Can't have it both ways. My opinion on the Oscars was set in stone for good and all when Jack Nicholson opened that envelope. That's what the AMPAS achieved - not only did they belittle the best film of the year, or rather of MANY years; - they also took away the future thrill of having a film or performance you really love win the Oscar. If the Oscar sells itself so cheaply, where's the thrill and joy in seeing someone win it? They reduced that golden statue to a future indifferent shrug.

So I'm in on the plan. Once the Oscars roll around again, it's certainly a good time to celebrate BBM. :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 09:38:02 am »
Good plan! One year is a long time in fandom terms, and much may have happened till then, I know from prior experience - but I *will not* watch the Oscars again.  Nor speculate about the winners and what not up-front. Even if Heath or Jake or Michelle or Anne are up for new Oscars.  Or even if I (what seems strangely improbable at this juncture) fall head over heals in love with another film that gets a slate of nominations.  I'd feel like such a hypocrite. Can't have it both ways. My opinion on the Oscars was set in stone for good and all when Jack Nicholson opened that envelope. That's what the AMPAS achieved - not only did they belittle the best film of the year, or rather of MANY years; - they also took away the future thrill of having a film or performance you really love win the Oscar. If the Oscar sells itself so cheaply, where's the thrill and joy in seeing someone win it? They reduced that golden statue to a future indifferent shrug.

Yep.  They lost every last bit of credibility they had with me that night.  I'm like you, Mikaela - an all or nothing kinda gal.  I can't have it both ways, either.  I know it sounds silly to some (OK, many), but they broke my heart that night.  I can never go back.  Kirk, honey, I'll joyfully watch you win your Golden Globe and your BAFTA (and your Tony and Grammy, too), but someone will have to call me about your Oscar, 'cause I won't be watching that shite again.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 09:39:55 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

moremojo

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 12:00:18 pm »
Never mind the Oscars--I can't even bring myself to watch any of the films that won over Brokeback! My sister borrowed a DVD copy of Capote to watch when our father was visiting us, and I told them that I just couldn't expose myself to it right now, with all my hurt feelings over the snub the Academy gave Heath, for what is indisputably one of the greatest movie performances ever. Same goes for Syriana and Crash--though I've heard good things about both (and also very negative things about the latter), while my sister was thrilled to see George Clooney's win for Syriana, saying it really was an outstanding performance. But so was Jake's in BBM--so beautiful and unforgettable. Brokeback deserved every award for which it was nominated, and its loss in some categories exposes the frequent mediocrity of the Academy's standards.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 12:07:08 pm »
and its loss in some categories exposes the frequent mediocrity of the Academy's standards.

The Academy has standards?

;)
No more beans!