Author Topic: The "I Love Joss Whedon" Thread  (Read 9302 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
The "I Love Joss Whedon" Thread
« on: November 06, 2008, 11:03:28 pm »
Hey there, Friends,

I've been toying with the idea of starting this thread for awhile now.  Before BBM I didn't know I had an obsessive personality, but now I know the truth.  After the dust settled from BBM (more or less) I really got into Joss Whedon.

I first learned about Joss through Suzanne Brockmann, who a lot of y'all know is one of my favorite writers (www.suzannebrockmann.com) because she's the first mainstream romance writer to bring a Happily-Ever-After to a gay character - and it hit the NYTimes best seller list too!

I read on Suzanne's bulletin board that she'd won a benefit auction to have dinner with Joss and then I read her account of the dinner...and I kept thinking 'Who's Joss Whedon?'  Because of my high regard for her, I decided to check him out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_Whedon

Well, about a year later, and I've seen (countless times!) all seven seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and five seasons of Angel and the one (sadly) season of Firefly and the movie Serenity.  And some episodes I am just compelled to watch over and over.

I think he's a genius.

Now I'm jonesing for more Joss.  His series Dollhouse is slated for 2009.  In the meanwhile, I'm considering checking out the Season 8 comics (and earlier comics).

I've also been reading some fanfiction - especially of the Xander/Giles/Spike/Wesley/Angel variety.  There's femslash out there too, but I haven't found much I like there for some reason.

So - I'm going to move some of my posts from my blog over here to this thread.  And I'm hoping Milli will contribute some of her fabulous artwork too!

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: The "I Love Joss Whedon" Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 02:37:25 am »
Here is a trailer I found on youtube for the upcoming Dollhouse.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDcEKo4V7fA[/youtube]

According to IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135300/) the cast of Dollhouse will include Eliza Dushku and Amy Acker.

Eliza played the role of Faith on BtVS (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and AtS (Angel, the Series) and Amy played the role of Fred on AtS.

I enjoy how Joss has a reputation for reusing members of his cast on his different projects.  It's like he's assembled a group of players, and he sorts through them for the talent he's seeking.  There are numerous examples - off the top of my head:

Amy Acker (AtS, Dollhouse)
Adam Baldwin (Firefly/Serenity, AtS)
Eliza Dushku (BtVS, AtS, Dollhouse)
Summer Glau (Firefly/Serenity, AtS)
Nathan Fillion ((Firefly/Serenity, BtVS)
Gina Torres (Firefly/Serenity, AtS)
Jonathan M. Woodward ((Firefly/Serenity, AtS, BtVS)

I doubt that's all.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 02:59:06 am »
I posted a similar youtube video in my blog of The Gentlemen, who I declared over Halloween to be the scariest villains ever.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Uk1KITymI[/youtube]

The Gentlemen were the 'monster of the week' in the episode "Hush" (Season 4, Episode 10) of BtVS.

For a fun ironic fact, "Hush" (written and directed by Joss) is the episode for which he was nominated for an Emmy for best original writing!  I believe there are 26 minutes with no dialogue whatsoever.

As a resource, there is a Buffy Wiki here:  http://buffy.wikia.com/wiki/Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_and_Angel

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 04:07:15 pm »
You mean you don't have Toystory in that collection  ::) Shame on you Lynne!!!

I started watching Angel fanatically when Spike joined, and I liked that and have seen other eps since but havn't gotten round to actually making a consious effort to watching all the other seasons apart from season 1 which my flatmate had - she was the one that got me in to Buffy

(... long story there but I moved into the flat and for 2 weeks at the start - I was on my own although shed moved her stuff in and since I'd just moveed to a new cisty and started a new job - my forst ever proper job! I spent my evenings slouched on the sifa.. watching all her videos wheich she's moved in - and she had all the seasons so far of bud=ffy and angel.. and so the obsession began....)

I also like how he likes an actor ans uses them lots - its cute that he has his little posse.

Also re seaosn 8 comics... my friend ... another friend.. buys them and apparently Dawn is now a giant in Ireland & Scotland!  :laugh:

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 09:54:49 pm »
You mean you don't have Toystory in that collection  ::) Shame on you Lynne!!!

You're right, Kelda!  I *loved* Toy Story - really smart dialogue there!  I saw it in the theatre, but I haven't bought a copy yet.  I need to.  I do own Speed, which Joss is said to have re-written, although he is uncredited.  I bought that one for Keanu and before I knew about Joss, so I can't really count it.   ::)

Also re seaosn 8 comics... my friend ... another friend.. buys them and apparently Dawn is now a giant in Ireland & Scotland!  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:  ::) ::) :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, boy...in some of the fanfic threads, I've seen people talk about their fic being *not* comic or ignoring comics.  There are a lot of really good stories out there that are post NFA ("Not Fade Away" - the final Angel episode).

I need to figure out how comics work and what to buy exactly...  ???

Won't they all come out in a hardback collection at some point?

Ah, Spike...yes, wasn't it fun when he showed up on Angel in Season 5?  Those cheekbones (and lips, and eyes, and...) slay me.  ;)  Nevermind that he's such a smartass.  Who knew snarkiness could be attractive?

My favorite funniest moment from that season related to Spike has to be when he finally becomes corporeal again and drags poor Harmony off to some random guy's office.

:D

Although "Smile Time" and the Puppet!Angel/Spike interaction is a close second!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 10:15:22 pm »
You're right, Kelda!  I *loved* Toy Story - really smart dialogue there!  I saw it in the theatre, but I haven't bought a copy yet.  I need to.  I do own Speed, which Joss is said to have re-written, although he is uncredited.  I bought that one for Keanu and before I knew about Joss, so I can't really count it.   ::)

:laugh: :laugh:  ::) ::) :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, boy...in some of the fanfic threads, I've seen people talk about their fic being *not* comic or ignoring comics.  There are a lot of really good stories out there that are post NFA ("Not Fade Away" - the final Angel episode).

I need to figure out how comics work and what to buy exactly...  ???

Won't they all come out in a hardback collection at some point?

Ah, Spike...yes, wasn't it fun when he showed up on Angel in Season 5?  Those cheekbones (and lips, and eyes, and...) slay me.  ;)  Nevermind that he's such a smartass.  Who knew snarkiness could be attractive?

My favorite funniest moment from that season related to Spike has to be when he finally becomes corporeal again and drags poor Harmony off to some random guy's office.

:D

Although "Smile Time" and the Puppet!Angel/Spike interaction is a close second!

ok, gambling that "Toy Story" is the movie from Disney (boy will I be embarrassed if it isnt'!)

but the phrase that STILL makes me laugh out loud is

"Tuesday night's Plastic Corrosion Awareness meeting was a great success"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 10:16:09 pm »
And while I'm waxing poetic about those cheekbones, here's a clip of James Marsters and Sarah Michelle Gellar from the musical episode "Once More With Feeling" (S6.7) where Spike sings Rest In Peace.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSpKjuzR0n0[/youtube]

I know that James Marsters plays guitar and has released bluesy CDs.  I couldn't find any of his original work on youtube that I thought was worthy, though.

(And if that 'willing slave' line doesn't make you want to fall to your own knees, I don't know what will!)  ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:22:07 pm »
ok, gambling that "Toy Story" is the movie from Disney (boy will I be embarrassed if it isnt'!)

but the phrase that STILL makes me laugh out loud is

"Tuesday night's Plastic Corrosion Awareness meeting was a great success"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey there, Jess!  Yes, Toy Story is the animated Pixar film - I'm attaching the poster.

From Wiki:

The film was nominated for three Academy Awards, two to Randy Newman for Best Music, Original Song, for "You've Got a Friend in Me", and Best Music, Original Musical or Comedy Score. It was also nominated for Best Writing, Screenplay Written for the Screen for the work by Joel Cohen, Pete Docter, John Lasseter, Joe Ranft, Alec Sokolow, Andrew Stanton, and Joss Whedon.

In IMDb, Joss is listed first of the 'screenwriters' - not sure how these collaborations really work - but the above list is alphabetical.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 10:25:15 pm »
I remember when it came out, I was very happy with it. It was SOOO nice to have a kids movie that I could enjoy with the little ones.

Proof you can be hilarious without being raunchy...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 05:10:16 am »

Tonight I remembered that checking out Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (recommended to me by Mr. Meno several months ago) had slipped to the bottom of my to-do pile.  Apparently, this is what Joss and family were up to during the writer's strike earlier this year.

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog features Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion, and Felicia Day, along with cameos from Whedonverse writer/producer veterans like David Fury, Marti Noxon, and Drew Goddard.

From this link, you can get to the three-act event, which is approximately 45 minutes in length.  It's tricky but you have the ability to view full-screen, pause, etc...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/28343/dr-horribles-sing-along-blog

This is the link with the details and interviews and other fun things:

http://www.drhorrible.com/

Some of my initial reactions include "I'm seeing shades of Andrew and the Evil Trio" and "I like the lyrics; they remind me of Once More With Feeling," and laughing at selected lines.  But then I was startled by the ending!

I also think NPH did a phenomenal job, especially in Act III.

But I really need to watch it again and let it settle, I think, before I say too much about it.

Has anyone else seen Dr. Horrible?  (Elle - send Mr. Meno over here to put his four cents worth in  ;))

**Note that Mr. Meno gets four cents instead of two because he actually owns a Dr. Horrible T-shirt!  ::) ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."