Author Topic: Time to Delete Old Private Messages  (Read 24307 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Time to Delete Old Private Messages
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 08:26:31 pm »
I did it.  I took the Prune Messages approach, but it was still painful.  And yes, I know they're saved in my email, but s--t--i--l--l !!!

::)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 08:42:31 pm »
I came across a wonderful gem as I was "pruning" my pms.  This one I kept, but would like to share it with you all!

What a great picture! Thanks for sharing!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 08:13:06 pm »
Hello Phillip.

I can talk from experinece about this  issue.

We had severe issues on the Dave Cullen forum with this matter.  Forum loading time began to slow, and we even had a few crashes as well.

We soon discovered that excessive PMs were the problem.  We found one member who had over 8,000 PMs saved!

:o

Once people began to get rid of older messages, the forum's problems stopped.

8,000?  That's like my Gmail inbox!  I had upwards of 1,500 myself.  I'm down to 800 or so.  I am trying to purge a few dozen a day.  I honestly read every last one of them, but sometimes a lot of my PM's are comments and input, which I don't always have an instant answer for, but usually those things get implemented down the road, so the input is absolutely honored and appreciated. 

We've never really had any technical issues because of the number of PM's, beyond just keeping everything backed up.  I suspect the DC issues may have had to do with the hosting company used and how much memory was allocated to SMF, which can be a memory piggy at times.  DC is also larger than we are, so the specs of the server and the resources provided by the hosting company can also make a difference.  What John and I have learned is that the best way to host an SMF forum is to place it on its own server, or use one of the virtual server technologies that are out there, which allocate "slices" of resources which are guaranteed to be exclusively available to the forum and no other customer.  That way you don't run into a problem with oversold hosting companies or servers that, over time, simply have issues with memory leaks or other problems that require rebooting.

With SMF, the biggest reasons for crashes or slow responsiveness comes from:

1) the hosting company
 2) installed modifications (mods) to the SMF basic software which are not well written.

Most crashes happen because of the hosting company.  We used to go down about once a month until we finally ditched an older company and switched.  We've been up for several hundred days with no problems ever since.  And third party software mods can also be an issue.

Should DC wish to explore switching hosting companies down the road, you can PM me and I'll share our experiences and recommendations.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 08:16:06 pm »
I am not yet able to delete some of the more heartfelt pms.  Bettermost friends are some of the greatest you will find.  :)

You are in no way being asked to remove anything you really want to keep here.  We don't have disk space or resource issues.  I just like to remind people to practice good housekeeping whenever possible.  If you want to keep it here, that's fine.

We've also been testing BetterMost e-mail accounts.  I have been wishing and waiting for a mod that can integrate them directly with the forum software.  They would give everyone an e-mail address of [email protected] and let them have as much e-mail as they like - it uses Gmail technology and the messages are stored by them.

I haven't pushed these because they don't integrate with the forum the way I want.  I don't like having disconnected pieces that don't fit well together. 
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 04:32:09 am »
Remember, you can click to make all your PMs go to your email address.  After spending quite a while going back and deleting one by one, I finally pruned em all.  It feels good.  That was about a month ago.  Now I'm trying to keep them deleted after I respond to them.