Author Topic: What Kind of Music Do You Like?  (Read 37281 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
What Kind of Music Do You Like?
« on: July 02, 2006, 02:18:40 am »
Music individualizes us. Music speaks to us and tells others who we are and how we think and feel about ourselves and the world around us. Music is important. It speaks for us when we are at a loss of words. What kinds of music speaks for you?

I love Classical and Baroque music (I play the piano, cello and violin). I also love country music, classic rock and Big Band Jazz.

Actually I love to listen to everything! :)

What do you like to listen to?  :D

I also love Disco... yeah, i remember those days! :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 04:25:06 am by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: What Kind of Music Do You Like?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 07:15:47 am »
I guess because I was a teenager all thru the 60's...that is my favourite sound, I was in the middle of Beatlemania.

Love the bee bop sounds of the fifties, simple songs, great harmonies.And Elvis lives on no matter how old we are.

Also a fan of motown and country....the country ballads...not too keen on the okey from miskousky type songs, but the ballads tell some great stories.

Im a romantic, so I love any love songs from any era, as long as i can understnd the words and sing along....and there is nothing like a song to make you remember a person, place, time, event or lover.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 07:37:23 am »
Hi David- great question  :)

I'm pretty eclectic when it comes to musical tastes- I like most of the ones you have listed. But I selected
Classical (I also play the violin!),
Appalachian (anything with the hammered dulcimer is amazing),
Native American(Walela, Joanne Shenandoah, Sharon Burch),
Culture (Other),
and Other.

For Culture (Other) I would include Celtic music- of which I am  HUGE fan- traditional Celtic and modern. (Loreena McKennitt, The Brobdingnagian Bards, The Corries)
For "Other" I would say Folk music (e.g. Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris, Rufus Wainwright, etc.)
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 08:19:03 am »
I picked hard rock, classic rock, hip hop, soft rock, and club/disco.  Do you see a pattern emerging, here?  ;)

My oldest brother taught himself to play the guitar, then to read and write music.  When he was in his teens, he had a hard rock band he called "Goliath."  This was in the mid to late 70s, so they played lots of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Three Dog Night, and a little bit of concept rock like Yes, Jethro Tull, and ELP.  I grew up on that stuff, so naturally, that's the sound I gravitate towards.

If you had included punk, I'd have picked that over soft rock.  I do like some classical and some world and some jazz and even some country, but give me a driving back beat, and it doesn't matter much what the front sounds like - I'm in.
No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 09:50:03 pm »
I picked hard rock, classic rock, hip hop, soft rock, and club/disco.  Do you see a pattern emerging, here?  ;)

If you had included punk, I'd have picked that over soft rock.  I do like some classical and some world and some jazz and even some country, but give me a driving back beat, and it doesn't matter much what the front sounds like - I'm in.

Punk is in  the list now! It is under the "Other" catagory, so it looks kind of weird, but if  I did it any other way,  it would have messed up the votes. If I set this up correctly, you should be able to go back and change your vote if you want to! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 09:53:41 pm »
Hi David- great question  :)

I'm pretty eclectic when it comes to musical tastes- I like most of the ones you have listed. But I selected
Classical (I also play the violin!),
Appalachian (anything with the hammered dulcimer is amazing),
Native American(Walela, Joanne Shenandoah, Sharon Burch),
Culture (Other),
and Other.

For Culture (Other) I would include Celtic music- of which I am  HUGE fan- traditional Celtic and modern. (Loreena McKennitt, The Brobdingnagian Bards, The Corries)
For "Other" I would say Folk music (e.g. Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris, Rufus Wainwright, etc.)

Stephanie, you and I have very similar interests in music. It must be the violin, you think? :)

I guess because I was a teenager all thru the 60's...that is my favourite sound, I was in the middle of Beatlemania.

Love the bee bop sounds of the fifties, simple songs, great harmonies.And Elvis lives on no matter how old we are.

Also a fan of motown and country....the country ballads...not too keen on the okey from miskousky type songs, but the ballads tell some great stories.

Im a romantic, so I love any love songs from any era, as long as i can understnd the words and sing along....and there is nothing like a song to make you remember a person, place, time, event or lover.

katie - I love the Beatles too. I was very young when they were current. I gues current is a good word. I was  going to say popular, but they are still popular. But I do remember when many of their songs were new and ALWAYS playing on the radio. Elvis too!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 11:09:32 pm »
I fell in love with Scott Joplin while I was a young piano student. It's still some of my favorite music.

Others: jazz (I would have just lumped all the different ages and genres together; I played jazz piano for a long time, and I love all of it for different reasons), Appalachian/bluegrass, Baroque (probably my favorite era of European music). And then add folk, blues, Celtic, African... And I listed "Classic Rock," because that's what I'm most likely to sing along to in the car.

Five choices weren't enough for me!
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 11:52:22 pm »
I fell in love with Scott Joplin while I was a young piano student. It's still some of my favorite music.

Others: jazz (I would have just lumped all the different ages and genres together; I played jazz piano for a long time, and I love all of it for different reasons), Appalachian/bluegrass, Baroque (probably my favorite era of European music). And then add folk, blues, Celtic, African... And I listed "Classic Rock," because that's what I'm most likely to sing along to in the car.

Five choices weren't enough for me!

I too fell in love with Ragtime and Scott Joplin. I remember playing the Entertainer, The Pineapple Rag, The Palm Leaf Rag, and many others. They wer a lot of fun. To this day, I will still pull my Ragtime music out and play it every once in a while.

To be honest with you, 5 choices wasn't enough for me either. I would have included so many other kinds of music (I enjoy nearly everything). But I had to set the limit somewhere I guess. :)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 05:13:27 pm »
I'm a sucker for the classics....but also like the some of the newer stuff like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan...

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 08:10:38 pm »
Oh boy, do I LOVE to D.I.S.C.O - proper 70s stuff, and for similar reasons I also love Latino music - it's the rhythm, baby!

For my mellower moments I love Beethoven - he's my favourite classical composer.

I love a bit of classic rock, also (Yes, Hendrix, Led Zep etc) 'cos that was what my older sis was listening to so it was always on in the house.

Finally, I'd have loved to put hip-hop (only the late 70s & early 80s really rhythmic stuff that came out of the disco era, when mainstream hip-hop actually had something to say apart from 'yo, sit on my face bitch' - ugh!), but...

...I put 'other' because an honourable mention has to go to the New Romantics (Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet et all) who were around when I was in my early teens and just starting to go out to parties and pubs. One of those records comes on and it always makes me smile  :)

At the moment I'm listening to Elbow a lot...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 08:12:37 pm by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!