Author Topic: Political Fun! Obamas Offered a Bald Pup! What Should They Do?  (Read 27037 times)

Online CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Political Fun! Obamas Offered a Bald Pup! What Should They Do?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 10:37:05 pm »
They'll learn to love a cat.

Remember the Clinton cat, Socks?   ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

injest

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 10:45:42 pm »

and they have shots these days for allergies..

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 11:10:47 pm »

Cats tend to cause more problem with allergies than dogs do.

Those hairless cresteds are used as health dogs.  They are like a living hot water bottle..But they are very odd looking
There are plenty of dogs that are non allergic.  Bedlington Terriers for one.  Bischon Friese another.  There are lots to choose from.  Getting a dog from a shelter is liable to be a allergy causing dog.

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 11:20:21 pm »

Notice the cat lover ignores the allergy question. ...  ::)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 11:24:10 pm »
I agree, Kerry.  A standard poodle is great for those with allergies. They are very intelligent and very graceful.  A neighbor of mine has a pair, one black and one white and they are so cute together.  And, no, they don't have stupid haircuts.  They look something like this:

Aww, I like these guys!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 11:50:01 pm »
I hope they go with the best of all worlds.  I can't believe there isn't a shelter in this country that is housing a goldendoodle or labradoodle (or some other hypoallergenic hybrid) that isn't falling all over themselves trying to get the Obamas to adopt their dog.

I think it's really important that they adopt a dog from a shelter.  What a great message that would send to the country (sorry, professional breeders, but let's be real): It's a far more nobler thing to better the life of a creature that is already here than to bring a new one into the world that is unwanted from the get-go.
No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 03:13:53 am »
Amen to that, Jess.
NO POODLES. The President of the United States cannpot be seen with a poodle. Once in  awhile, the one man out of the family of 3 women has to put his foot down. NO POODLES. Sorry poodle lovers.

Im warimg up to my greyhound idea more and more, but I got to say, that Peruvian hairless looks kinda cool. kind of like the evil dog in Ghostbusters. Or how about a whole bunch of weine rdogs.

NO POODLES.

The big problem here though is one of the girls is allergic to most breeds of dogs. So the Obama family really don't have a wide range of breeds to choose from. I remember Barack Obama mentioning a Goldendoodle. They are cute. Take a look at my avatar, and try to imagine him with curly poodle hair. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 03:19:33 am »
Goldendoodle puppy:

Adult Goldendoodle:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 09:44:30 am »
Amen to that, Jess.
NO POODLES. The President of the United States cannpot be seen with a poodle. Once in  awhile, the one man out of the family of 3 women has to put his foot down. NO POODLES. Sorry poodle lovers.

Im warimg up to my greyhound idea more and more, but I got to say, that Peruvian hairless looks kinda cool. kind of like the evil dog in Ghostbusters. Or how about a whole bunch of weine rdogs.

NO POODLES.

Fiddlesticks! Did you take a look at those pics of standard poodles? Nothing the matter with them!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 10:36:32 am »

First, sorry I posted a duplicate picture, y'all -- somehow Shasta's post slipped by me.

It would be great if the Obamas adopted from a shelter. The only problem might be that they apparently have to make sure the dog produces a minimum of dander and in a mixed breed, you can't always be sure what the genes will produce and according to his remark, they apparently intend to get a puppy.

A good compromise in that regard would be to seek out a runt or "pet quality" puppy from a breeder.  These are animals with normal health and temperament but who don't conform enough to show standards for the breeder to use.  That can be a rescue adoption too.