Author Topic: BBM is 3 Years Old This Month. How Are You Doing, Friends?  (Read 18568 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: BBM is 3 Years Old This Month. How Are You Doing, Friends?
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2008, 02:14:58 pm »
Beautifully stated, Celeste.  I'm very glad you saw "Brokeback Mountain" and became a friend of mine.  And I'm even more glad that you've been led to make changes that are life-embracing and good.  All the very best to you in your journey, bud!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2008, 12:51:29 am »
Ahhhhhhhh - the memories!  I'm so glad too!

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2008, 01:13:26 am »
Ahhhhhhhh - the memories!  I'm so glad too!

Beautiful pic of Beautiful Brokies, only one of whom I've met.  You other three are on my "So want to meet you someday" list.

What's on the teapot?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2008, 03:17:21 am »

Beautiful pic of Beautiful Brokies, only one of whom I've met.  You other three are on my "So want to meet you someday" list.

What's on the teapot?

It's one of them new-fangled thingies that keep the tea from drippin' when you pour it.  A piece of foam, some elastic and a pretty birdie.  8)

Great picture, Celeste!  That was such a fun day.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2008, 04:00:10 am »
Lovely posts everyone. I love hearing about people's experiences like this.

It's difficult for me to tell what impact BBM has had on me. In August 2005 I went 300 miles away from home to my first year of college, where I didn't know a single person. It took me a few months to sort of get used to college life and find some real friends. I saw BBM when I was home for Christmas break of that first year. I have, of course, changed quite a bit in the past three years, but I honestly couldn't tell you how much of that was BBM and how much was just going through college and all the experiences that come with it. I know that I would be different if it I had never seen this movie, I just don't know exactly how.

To answer the question in the title of this thread, I am doing extremely well. I am going to Peru at the end of January to attend a "young adult" conference about water issues as sort of a fact-finding mission for the organization that is sending me. My brother, who lives in Louisiana (so I don't get to see him much), is also going. I'm also getting ready to graduate in May, which obviously means that more significant changes are coming soon. This past semester was really difficult and kept me very busy so I haven't been around here much lately, but I love knowing that I can still come back and people still remember me and welcome me back as if no time has passed. I feel like some of you have gone through college with me in a way, and that really means a lot to me.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2008, 04:13:26 am »

I feel like some of you have gone through college with me in a way, and that really means a lot to me.

Court!  :)

I feel like we have too.  Three effin years!  I'm so proud of you, and I'm sure a water conference in Peru will be extremely sobering.  Did I mention I'm so proud of you?

Love,

Elle

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2008, 04:21:16 am »

Court!  :)

I feel like we have too.  Three effin years!  I'm so proud of you, and I'm sure a water conference in Peru will be extremely sobering.  Did I mention I'm so proud of you?

Love,

Elle

What Elle said!  You're graduating already?  Time does fly.  Early congratulations, Courtney!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2008, 04:56:06 am »
I love knowing that I can still come back and people still remember me and welcome me back as if no time has passed. I feel like some of you have gone through college with me in a way, and that really means a lot to me.

That is so sweet!! Thanks, Courtney, dear!!  :-*
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2008, 06:58:23 pm »
Lovely posts everyone. I love hearing about people's experiences like this.

It's difficult for me to tell what impact BBM has had on me. In August 2005 I went 300 miles away from home to my first year of college, where I didn't know a single person. It took me a few months to sort of get used to college life and find some real friends. I saw BBM when I was home for Christmas break of that first year. I have, of course, changed quite a bit in the past three years, but I honestly couldn't tell you how much of that was BBM and how much was just going through college and all the experiences that come with it. I know that I would be different if it I had never seen this movie, I just don't know exactly how.

To answer the question in the title of this thread, I am doing extremely well. I am going to Peru at the end of January to attend a "young adult" conference about water issues as sort of a fact-finding mission for the organization that is sending me. My brother, who lives in Louisiana (so I don't get to see him much), is also going. I'm also getting ready to graduate in May, which obviously means that more significant changes are coming soon. This past semester was really difficult and kept me very busy so I haven't been around here much lately, but I love knowing that I can still come back and people still remember me and welcome me back as if no time has passed. I feel like some of you have gone through college with me in a way, and that really means a lot to me.

Good luck in Peru, and  :-*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2008, 06:59:47 pm »
Thanks for pointing me to this thread, Meryl.  I watched BBM again on Christmas Eve, exactly 3 years to the day from my first, life-changing viewing.  And I laughed through so much of it, 'cause every line, every scene reminded me of some cartoon or quip or scene that we had made into our own.  The thread on IMdB (can't remember the name) that made everything so funny!

And I was amazed too that the movie was so impeccable upon viewing so much later.  Every word, every shot, every minute tight and meaningful, exposing each character more deeply and forwarding the story powerfully and effortlessly.

In the scene where Ennis is running off to another fishing trip with Jack, and Alma's sitting smoking at the kitchen table, wrestling with her feelings...the look in her eyes after he runs out the door having almost forgotten his creel case, is so powerful, so telling, such a quiet and pviotal moment. 

BBM changed my life, but I could also say I saw it at a moment where I wanted my life to change.  There was change in the air, looming on the horizon, and BBM pointed the way for me to see that the change required was in the silent internal spaces in my soul.

I'm not Ennis, and I'm definitely not Jack, but I could see my own limitations in each, and knew I did not want to stay stuck by those limitations, that I didn't want to end up either figuratively dead or stuck in a dead-end place.  BBM helped me see how much I wanted to embrace life on my own terms.

And the re-viewing recently was a complete affirmation of all of that.  I am not the same, I am not living the same life, and I know BBM showed me the cracks in the foundation of a life I had built but couldn't sustain. 

I knew something had fundamentally shifted inside of me, and over the past 3 years, I have embraced that original pull to change and given it room to grow inside of me.  It's still in process, no doubt, but now I can watch the movie, and appreciate the story and it's powerful sorrow without feeling that I'm condemned to living my life the same way.

Thanks so much to each one for the wonderful friendship that I found here.  Certainly some craziness and some drama, but mostly wonderful friendship!

And thankyou for your wonderful friendship.  :-*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/