Author Topic: BetterMost is back in business!  (Read 5255 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
BetterMost is back in business!
« on: February 09, 2019, 12:23:01 pm »
Did you miss us? BetterMost is baaack! We look a bit different. . . this is our winter look, I guess! Many thanks to John Passianti for putting BetterMost back in the pink after a silly hacker attack.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: BetterMost is back in business!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 12:38:00 pm »
Did you miss us? BetterMost is baaack! We look a bit different. . . this is our winter look, I guess! Many thanks to John Passianti for putting BetterMost back in the pink after a silly hacker attack.

OMG!  :o

I wondered what happened.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:02:02 am »

OMG!  :o

I wondered what happened.

Hello to Phillip D./John P. and current BetterMostians--

As of earlier today, Saturday February 09 2019, I am aware that we suddenly no longer seem to have the ability to embed YouTube videos--and the (many!) existing videos I have previously posted here (mostly) in Culture Tent threads are dead.

FYI, I'll also mention that bots are automatically starting new spam threads throughout the site, which is troubling.   

I realize that we have had some sort of Alien Invasion Hacker Attack, and I am grateful that Bettermost has survived (if battered) and is back online. If it is not too much trouble, would it be possible to download the embed ability again?

Thank you!

John G.

We are pleased to introduce a new feature for residents.  You can now embed YouTube videos directly into your messages in the forums!  This lets you share content you've found on YouTube and let the user see it as a built-in player right in your message.  You just hit the play button and you can watch whatever your friends have found to share.

It's easy!  Just take a moment to review this short tutorial and you'll be ready to go!

1. Writing your message: When you post a message on BetterMost, you'll discover a brand new icon in the editor that looks like this:   At any point in your message you wish to embed your YouTube video, simply click the icon (it'll be just below the Italics symbol.)  When you do, something like this will appear:

Code: [Select]
[youtube=425,350][/youtube]
It's really just another bulletin board code you can use.  The numbers 425,350 just tell the system what size video player the content is customized for.  Don't change them.

2. Go and find the URL for the video you want to share.  When you visit any video on YouTube, to the right of the player you'll find code for the URL of the video.  It usually looks something like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD8oO2HIORc
You want to use the copy and paste feature in your web browser to transfer that URL into the BetterMost editor, fitting in-between the youtube and /youtube commands.  Here is an example:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD8oO2HIORc[/youtube]
Now you can either finish writing your message, or just preview it and then save it.  The software will automatically convert your link to work properly with the forum software.

I recommend embedding one video per message.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:20:34 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline John Passaniti

• Town Administration
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:51:54 am »
Without getting into the technical details, I was forced to remove all customizations that were made to BetterMost over the years. So what you're seeing is essentially a plain-vanilla version of BetterMost. All of the user content should have been preserved, but individual add-ons (such as allowing embedding of YouTube videos) have not been restored.

I will be going through and restoring the customizations when they make sense. Some previous features that were add-ons are now part of the forum software and don't need to be restored. Other add-ons may be no longer supported. In terms of priorities, add-ons that affected content (such as the ability to embed YouTube videos) will be given the highest priority. Other add-ons and other customizations that are cosmetic "look and feel" changes will be given lower priority. Please be patient.

I'll set up a separate post to indicate when changes are made.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 07:12:48 am »

Thank you very much, John, you are very kind!

:D

John G.

Without getting into the technical details, I was forced to remove all customizations that were made to BetterMost over the years. So what you're seeing is essentially a plain-vanilla version of BetterMost. All of the user content should have been preserved, but individual add-ons (such as allowing embedding of YouTube videos) have not been restored.

I will be going through and restoring the customizations when they make sense. Some previous features that were add-ons are now part of the forum software and don't need to be restored. Other add-ons may be no longer supported. In terms of priorities, add-ons that affected content (such as the ability to embed YouTube videos) will be given the highest priority. Other add-ons and other customizations that are cosmetic "look and feel" changes will be given lower priority. Please be patient.

I'll set up a separate post to indicate when changes are made.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 07:51:56 pm »

Welcome back everyone!!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!