Author Topic: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?  (Read 116557 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2021, 08:10:09 am »
Some people seem to start putting them up here before Thanksgiving.  I refuse to do that.  I want to acknowledge and celebrate Thanksgiving, so I refuse to do anything Christmas related until it passes.

We don't have Thanksgiving, but I'm totally with you re acknowledging it properly.
Even after Thanksgiving would be too early over here. We start with an Advent wreath on the first Sunday of Advent of course, but other than that, no Christmas decoration. No, not totally true: Advent calendars for the children from Dec 1st thru Dec 24th are hanging on the walls.

Most people start decorating for Christmas around 3rd Advent, roundabout one or two weeks before Christmas.
I take out my Christmas dinnerware as soon as Advent starts however. It's so beautiful (IMO) and I have only a couple of weeks each year to use it. :laugh:

The tree is something else entirely. Traditionally, it is only put up on Dec 24th by the parents, the gifts put under it and then the room gets locked. On Christmas Eve, after church and a festive (long) dinner, the children see the decorated tree for the first time.
But we usually put the tree up one week before Christmas Eve.

I also think I'm Christmased out this year.  Normally I feel like I didn't do a lot of Christmas related stuff.  This year, however, I did.  I decorated the day after Thanksgiving, then that weekend did a drive through Christmas light event, and then because I worked from home, I saw a ton of the Hallmark Christmas movies, plus the usual shopping and wrapping and Christmas music.

I think I was ready for a break.

;D :laugh: