Author Topic: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion  (Read 298808 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion
« Reply #450 on: December 18, 2006, 09:56:01 pm »
One of the things I worked very hard to make realistic was the fact that Jack was clinically depressed. I am a nurse myself so I have dealt with more than a few depressed/suicidal patients in my career. I like to think that conveyed what Jack was feeling and perhaps, educated a few people in the process. I had one critic tell me that Jack would never contemplate suicide (I guess because of his optimistic, outgoing personality) but frankly, I don't think that being optimistic makes you immune.

Hi Leslie,

I think you definitely succeeded in a realistic portrayal of clinical depression.  I'm certainly no expert, but right from the first chapter I recognized that the amount of time Jack spent sleeping was a symptom.  I also don't believe that "optimistic" people are immune from depression.  In fact, I believe that a normally optimistic personality such as Jack may have been even more confounded when he found himself deep inside that black hole with no means by which to extricate himself - you can't just "happy think" your way out.

You're a nurse!  :)  How wonderful - my experience with nurses has been so overwhelmingly positive and uplifting.  My dad had a home health care nurse and, later, hospice nurses, and they all became so special to our family - truly angels of mercy, love and compassion.

On to Chapters 7 and 8 - which I found delightful (well, except for Roger Grindell).  I was so proud of how Ennis handled himself with Grindell - it was a defining moment and served to make J&E's relationship stronger. I know there are many Roger Grindells in the world, but that doesn't make it easier for me to understand them.

So happy they took pictures of each other!   :)  Is Ennis's wish for a picture of them kissing a bit of foreshadowing?  I sure hope so! ;)

The Interlude of Correspondence - another stroke of genius!  I have a special fondness for epistolary novels - and was really delighted to see this!  What a great way for us to gain important perspectives into the characters.  I was impressed with the realism and natural flow of the postcards and letters - and I was so glad to see Junior sharing some private thoughts with Ennis.  She is one smart girl.  I'm looking forward to their visit. 

Ennis shopping for curtains, considering paint samples, thinking about wallpaper -loved it!   :laugh:

Ennis helping Bobby with his fear of horses and giving riding lessons - perfect! 

Of course, I loved their time with Hal - what a sweet, special man.  I, too, am glad that Ennis has a friend.

I love how Tom found out about Ennis and Jack - you caught me off guard with that!   

"“He doesn’t think we’re fuckin’ queers, he thinks we’re fuckin’ hot.”

“Damn straight, cowboy,” said Ennis. “’Cause we are.”

I'll second that, Ennis - DAMN STRAIGHT!   ;D

Thanks  - Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #451 on: December 19, 2006, 03:08:12 am »
Hey Marie,

i've been reading your comments of the story for the last couple of days and you make me want to read A Love Born From Steel again. I've already read it twice and it's just wonderful to think about the boys of the Lazy L!

Yes, the friendship with Hall is so moving. He is just the kind of friend Ennis needs and it's wonderful to see how Ennis feels so comfortable sitting with Hal.

I like this story so much, i had it printed and bound. I liked reading it on paper even more.

Looking forward to more of your thoughts! thanks

Fabienne

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #452 on: December 19, 2006, 03:09:58 am »
wow, that picture is so big.
i tried resizing it but it didn't work. I need to take some lesssons....

ow, well never mind, it's a nice picture  ;D
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #453 on: December 19, 2006, 07:15:18 am »
It's not too big, Fabienne, I think it is just perfect!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #454 on: December 19, 2006, 02:36:12 pm »

Gosh, look how I've rambled!  Thanks for sharing this wonderful story!

Marie

I'm enjoying your ramblings too Marie, keep them coming!!
 :)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #455 on: December 19, 2006, 02:39:01 pm »
what the heck is an epistolary novel?  me [and ennis] wanna know..
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #456 on: December 19, 2006, 03:05:34 pm »
Hey Marie,

i've been reading your comments of the story for the last couple of days and you make me want to read A Love Born From Steel again. I've already read it twice and it's just wonderful to think about the boys of the Lazy L!

Yes, the friendship with Hall is so moving. He is just the kind of friend Ennis needs and it's wonderful to see how Ennis feels so comfortable sitting with Hal.

I like this story so much, i had it printed and bound. I liked reading it on paper even more.

Looking forward to more of your thoughts! thanks

Fabienne

Hi Fabienne - Thanks so much - I'm tickled that you've enjoyed my ramblings!  I can understand why you've read the story twice and want to read it again!  And what a great idea - having the book printed and bound - love the cover! 

Thanks  again - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #457 on: December 19, 2006, 03:12:33 pm »
I'm enjoying your ramblings too Marie, keep them coming!!
 :)

what the heck is an epistolary novel?  me [and ennis] wanna know..

Hi there notBastet!  - Thanks!  I'm sure I'll keep rambling - just wish I had more time to read the story - I'd like to keep reading straight through to the end!   :)

An epistolary novel?  LOL!  Just a fancy way of saying a book written in the form of letters or some other form of correspondence.  I remember the first book I ever read of that nature - it was called "Dear Mr. Henshaw" by Beverly Cleary and I was just a young one at the time.  I thought it was a really cool way of writing a book - and even though I'm not such a young one anymore, I still do! 

Thanks - Marie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #458 on: December 19, 2006, 03:50:10 pm »
Hi Fabienne - Thanks so much - I'm tickled that you've enjoyed my ramblings!  I can understand why you've read the story twice and want to read it again!  And what a great idea - having the book printed and bound - love the cover! 

Thanks  again - Marie

If you would like the word file and jpeg for the cover, so you can print your own, let me know. Send me a pm with your email and I'll get them right out to you.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #459 on: December 20, 2006, 02:17:08 pm »
If you would like the word file and jpeg for the cover, so you can print your own, let me know. Send me a pm with your email and I'll get them right out to you.

Leslie

Thanks, Leslie - I've pm'd you - (but it hasn't shown up in my outbox) so let me know if you don't get it!

Marie