Author Topic: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion  (Read 298823 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: A Love Born From Steel
« Reply #290 on: June 13, 2006, 12:47:55 pm »
Leslie whilst I chew my nails to the quick waiting for tomorows chapter, can I ask you... IF you had written Brokeback Mountain, would you have changed anything about it or would you have written it exactly the same, including the ending?

That's an interesting question and one that is a little bit difficult to answer. First, I don't think short story is my genre. I do not have the parsimony of words that is needed, I tend to like more exposition and characterization. Two, I am a sucker for happy endings so I am not sure I could have written Brokeback Mountain.

Brokeback Mountain is Brokeback Mountain. ALBFS is ALBFS. Yes, they share the same first 13 years but once they hit the fork in the road--BBM to the left, ALBFS to the right--they are totally different stories. People have asked me about Randall and Lashawn, but they don't exist. Jack never met them. Ennis never met Cassie. And Ennis didn't have to endure that horrible Thanksgiving dinner. That's the thing that makes me happiest of all.

Leslie
MaineWriter
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #291 on: June 13, 2006, 01:55:04 pm »
I just want you to know how much ALBFS means to me. The canonical BBM is great literature, a classical tragedy, powerful and needed catharsis for me, but it left me emotionally devastated. Your story is breath of fresh air, an alternative universe that simply was meant to be, and much needed therapy. So, I thank you from my heart!

I'm with you 100 percent that it's a wonderful thing that Ennis never had to endure that horrible Thanksgiving confrontation with Alma.

Peace,
Fred
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #292 on: June 13, 2006, 02:08:01 pm »
I just want you to know how much ALBFS means to me. The canonical BBM is great literature, a classical tragedy, powerful and needed catharsis for me, but it left me emotionally devastated. Your story is breath of fresh air, an alternative universe that simply was meant to be, and much needed therapy. So, I thank you from my heart!

I'm with you 100 percent that it's a wonderful thing that Ennis never had to endure that horrible Thanksgiving confrontation with Alma.

Peace,
Fred

Thank you, Fred.

Leslie
MaineWriter (lazylfarm on LJ)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #293 on: June 13, 2006, 06:34:00 pm »
Leslie,

Sorry, I have been slacking off on posting comments.  I am still following the story and read it when you post it.  The story between Hal and Pete is beautiful and sad.  For a moment I thought Ennis and Jack will ask Pete to stay. But on a second thought, that don’t feel right.  He had the opportunity and didn’t grab onto it.  Hal is gone, there is no point for him to stay.  Lazy L is Ennis and Jack’s home now.  As to Hal’s will, I like the direction you are going, glad that Ennis and Jack can finally put their angst to rest.  Tom is a good fellow to fully support Hal’s will.  I guess Ennis and Jack will repay Tom for all the expenses he occurred to bring the farm and the house back to life when they finalize the paper work.

You promised the scene where Ennis and Jack go to buy mattress, guess that one is coming up?  As always, thank you very much for all the trouble and hard work to provide us the reading pleasure.

Jenny

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #294 on: June 13, 2006, 07:30:35 pm »
Because others seem to have had the same confusion as Jenny, I will clarify:

Tom has not been spending his own money all summer for the house repairs and painting. Hal had charge accounts at  the stores in town (primarily the hardware store but the others too). Remember, this is 1976 and credit cards, especially Visa and MasterCard, were not as persvasive as they are today. It was common, especially in smaller, rural towns like Quanah, to have a credit account at the store where you just sign your name. Tom talked to all the managers (he said this in chapter 4) so Jack or Ennis could sign/charge and Tom got the bills...and paid with Hal's money (remember, Tom had the power of attorney). For the things that Jack and Ennis paid out of pocket (such as the curtains), Tom reimbursed them but again it was from Hal's money. Finally, the weekly salary they were being paid ($125/wk each) was also from Hal's account.

So...Jack and Ennis don't owe Tom any money, and Tom hasn't gone broke this summer fixing up his uncle's house.

Hope that helps,

Leslie

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: A Love Born From Steel: CHAPTER 19
« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2006, 01:28:51 am »
Tom had said he’d bring donuts—“I’ll make sure to have plenty of the sugared ones for Ennis,” he had said. Jack smiled at the memory of the day in May when they sat on the porch and talked about the plans for the summer. It seemed so long ago…

Oh Leslie....

My dreams really came true! Beautiful!

(Now tell me: which great grand uncle Nicholl moved to Texas and said "--the sun must be over the yardarm somewhere in the world.” Love it!)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 01:31:38 am by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #296 on: June 14, 2006, 02:07:35 am »
Thanks for the clarification, Leslie.  I am glad that you explained this, oterhwise I will be looking for that detail in the next chapter. :)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #297 on: June 14, 2006, 02:35:54 am »
She told me earlier--that it was Hal's money, not Tom's. So I sorta knew what was going to happen...sorta.
People are attacking me for the funny things I've been saying to marakeshsparrow---what a scream. I POSTED the damn story here to begin with...

"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: A Love Born From Steel: CHAPTER 19
« Reply #298 on: June 14, 2006, 05:21:54 am »

Oh Leslie....

My dreams really came true! Beautiful!

(Now tell me: which great grand uncle Nicholl moved to Texas and said "--the sun must be over the yardarm somewhere in the world.” Love it!)

Ha ha! I am so glad you noticed that...I love that expression and you are the first to comment on it!

Leslie
xoxoxo

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
A Love Born From Steel: CHAPTER 20
« Reply #299 on: June 14, 2006, 06:00:03 am »
Ladies and Gentlemen, the event you've been waiting for: our boys go mattress shopping.

Chapter 20 is up for your reading pleasure.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2853224/21/

As always, thanks. Consider posting a review, I appreciate the feedback. Enjoy!

Leslie