Author Topic: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion  (Read 298955 times)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: A Love Born From Steel
« Reply #360 on: June 18, 2006, 05:39:22 am »
thanks for the story Leslie, I always like a happy ending.  Just one issue I have with it.... why on earth would Jack and Ennis accept money from Lureen for boarding Bobby's horse?  I would have thought that Jack, as Bobby's parent, would board the horse for his son as a matter of course, without being recompensed for it.  Never mind that they did not need the money after all....

Other than that I loved the story....

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #361 on: June 18, 2006, 06:18:47 am »
thanks for the story Leslie, I always like a happy ending.  Just one issue I have with it.... why on earth would Jack and Ennis accept money from Lureen for boarding Bobby's horse?  I would have thought that Jack, as Bobby's parent, would board the horse for his son as a matter of course, without being recompensed for it.  Never mind that they did not need the money after all....

Other than that I loved the story....

J

Jack tried to refuse but Lureen insisted. She wanted it to be a business deal. Jack ended up putting the money in a special savings account and gave it to Bobby when he went to college. Bobby used the money to pay for all his books both in undergrad and vet school.

Leslie
MaineWriter
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #362 on: June 18, 2006, 07:16:27 am »
Jack tried to refuse but Lureen insisted. She wanted it to be a business deal. Jack ended up putting the money in a special savings account and gave it to Bobby when he went to college. Bobby used the money to pay for all his books both in undergrad and vet school.

Leslie
MaineWriter

oh....  shame on me if I missed it in the story Leslie, sorry about that, my mistake...
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #363 on: June 18, 2006, 07:29:30 am »
oh....  shame on me if I missed it in the story Leslie, sorry about that, my mistake...

Actually, it's not in the story, but that's what happened.  :)

Leslie
MaineWriter
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: A Love Born From Steel: Epilogue 2006
« Reply #364 on: June 18, 2006, 07:55:15 am »
I think, as an author, there is no greater honor than to have your own words quoted back to you. Thank you, John, for this tribute. And, wondrously, you have selected some of my most favorite lines out of the 123,000+ words I churned out over the past three months. But, here's another one of my favorites:

He picked up Jack’s hands and looked closely in Jack’s eyes, “What I’ve learned this summer, Jack, is t’believe in myself. I ain’t ever believed in myself before and I ain’t ever got ahead before. But havin’ you lovin’ me has made me realize that I can do things—if we want to own a farm, or a ranch, or somethin’ else, we will.” He stopped, and gave Jack a smile.

Jack smiled back. “Ennis, when did ya get so fuckin’ smart?” he asked.

“I ain’t smart, Jack. I just got a powerful love from a good man that’s guidin’ me,” he said. “And that’s why I ain’t gonna let that asshole Norm Crocker try to tell me it’s wrong. There was a time when I would’ve believed him, but those days are over. Now I know that lovin’ you—bein’ with you—is where I’m meant to be. If that asshole banker wants to live in his narrow minded little world, fuck him, I say. It’s his problem, not mine.”

Leslie
MaineWriter
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 03:14:36 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #365 on: June 18, 2006, 12:43:56 pm »
 :-*

xxxxxxx
John
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #366 on: June 18, 2006, 06:52:20 pm »
Leslie,

You go, Girlfriend!  ;)

Love ya much!

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #367 on: June 23, 2006, 07:15:10 am »
I was challenged to write a drabble--short piece, less than 250 words, in response to a prompt. For this one, the prompt was "forgetfulness." Scene: Jack and Ennis at the Lazy L, down by the river on one of their skinny dipping afternoons. Enjoy!

-----------------------

Jack and Ennis were lying on a blanket, listening to the sound of the river, the horses softly nickering where they stood, their reins looped over the branch of the tree.

“Hey, Mr. Memory,” said Ennis softly.

Jack smiled at him. “What old memory do you want me to dredge up today?” he said.

“I was just thinkin’,” said Ennis. “Remember that fishin’ trip—not sure when, mebbe five years ago—when we found that big grassy meadow, spent the whole day lyin’ in the sun, screwin’ on that blanket of mossy grass?”

“Sorta like we do here, ain’t it, cowboy?” said Jack, as he gave Ennis’s cock a little tug.

“Yeah, but that day…” Ennis let his voice drift off. “That day got me through many a cold winter day, I hafta say Jack. Remembering the sun, how warm it was. One of the few fuckin’ fishin’ trips we ever had when we weren’t in the fuckin’ freezin’ cold.”

“Let’s forget the bad parts, En. Let’s only remember the good parts.”

“Which bad parts, Jack?” said Ennis. “Were there bad parts?”

“Every time we fuckin’ said good bye,” replied Jack, “was a bad part. Lookin’ in yer eyes and knowin’ I wouldn’t see ‘em for four, five, six months…that was a fuckin’ bad part.”

Ennis pulled Jack in close, looking in his eyes. “Ain’t got no more o’those, cowboy,” he said. “No more bad parts, no more good byes. You can forget all that shit right now.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #368 on: June 23, 2006, 07:16:08 am »
I was challenged to write a drabble--short piece, less than 250 words, in response to a prompt. For this one, the prompt was "forgetfulness." Scene: Jack and Ennis at the Lazy L, down by the river on one of their skinny dipping afternoons. Enjoy!

-----------------------

Jack and Ennis were lying on a blanket, listening to the sound of the river, the horses softly nickering where they stood, their reins looped over the branch of the tree.

“Hey, Mr. Memory,” said Ennis softly.

Jack smiled at him. “What old memory do you want me to dredge up today?” he said.

“I was just thinkin’,” said Ennis. “Remember that fishin’ trip—not sure when, mebbe five years ago—when we found that big grassy meadow, spent the whole day lyin’ in the sun, screwin’ on that blanket of mossy grass?”

“Sorta like we do here, ain’t it, cowboy?” said Jack, as he gave Ennis’s cock a little tug.

“Yeah, but that day…” Ennis let his voice drift off. “That day got me through many a cold winter day, I hafta say Jack. Remembering the sun, how warm it was. One of the few fuckin’ fishin’ trips we ever had when we weren’t in the fuckin’ freezin’ cold.”

“Let’s forget the bad parts, En. Let’s only remember the good parts.”

“Which bad parts, Jack?” said Ennis. “Were there bad parts?”

“Every time we fuckin’ said good bye,” replied Jack, “was a bad part. Lookin’ in yer eyes and knowin’ I wouldn’t see ‘em for four, five, six months…that was a fuckin’ bad part.”

Ennis pulled Jack in close, looking in his eyes. “Ain’t got no more o’those, cowboy,” he said. “No more bad parts, no more good byes. You can forget all that shit right now.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #369 on: June 23, 2006, 07:18:42 am »
A second drabble--the prompt, "going to the post office." Okay, so this isn't the post office, but it has to do with the mail. Still Jack and Ennis at the Lazy L. 242 words.
----------------------------------

Ennis came into the kitchen, the mail in his hand. “You got a post card, Jack,” he said.

Jack wiped his hands on a towel, taking the card from Ennis. “Me?” he said. “Who’s writin’ me?” But before Ennis could answer, Jack was reading the card.

July 28, 1976
Dear Uncle Jack:

Thank you again for a wonderful visit. I had so much fun at the Lazy L and it was great to get to know you. It was great to see my daddy so happy, too. I miss you, Uncle Jack, and can’t wait for our next visit.

Love,
Junior

He looked at Ennis, smiling. “That’s sweet, huh?” he said. “A thank you note.”

Ennis nodded. “Nice polite girl, that Junior,” he said. “Knows her manners.”

Jack looked at him. “She had t’get it from somebody,” he said.

“Whaddya mean?” asked Ennis.

“Yer always sayin’ you were a lousy husband and mediocre father. The lousy husband part I can see, but I’m not so sure I agree with the mediocre father. Ain’t nothin’ mediocre ‘bout the fatherin’ job ya did while Junior and Jenny were visitin’.”

Ennis thought about that for a minute, then looked at Jack. “Understandin’ love is makin’ a difference,” he said. “Lovin’ you is makin’ me a better father t’them.” He pulled Jack in  for a kiss. “I love you, cowboy,” he said, softly.

“And I love you too,” said Jack, his words lost in Ennis’s lips.