Author Topic: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion  (Read 298853 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: A Love Born From Steel: Ongoing Discussion
« Reply #430 on: August 30, 2006, 10:33:14 am »

Everyone - Happy Belated Mimosa Day!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion
« Reply #431 on: September 26, 2006, 11:54:09 pm »
I feel the need to post here today to make a couple of important points...I have become an avid fan fiction reader, thanks largely due to Leslie's A Love Born From Steel and then later on, to other recommendations she's passed my way.  I don't contribute a whole lot to the threads because, until there are 36-hour days, it's just not possible. ;)

Point #1:
I had the pleasure of meeting Leslie in person this weekend at the Brokie get-together in New England.  She is as wonderful as we all knew!!  If you haven't yet had the opportunity, the next time Leslie goes somewhere, red-line it all the way.  It was a terrific experience.  I once said in chat to Leslie that 'I want to be like you when I grow up.'  I can now say with 100% certainty my instincts were dead-on.  Of course, the ironies are that we're close enough in age, and I doubt anyone is planning to actually grow up anytime soon.  :D

Point #2:
Leslie was generous enough to provide us NE attendees with bound copies of A Love Born From Steel.  So, Sunday night I read it again (3rd time).  Yes, Leslie, thanks again for ANOTHER sleepless night.  This would be payback for me 'encouraging' you have one more wine/spritzer Saturday night ;) (or was it 2 more? or 3??)  :laugh:

Seriously, when I read fanfic, I'm usually reading it on-line, in small segments, a chapter a week or however frequently the author updates.  And I'm reading more than one author at a time.  It made an enormous difference to read A Love Born From Steel as a complete work from cover to cover.  I'm not saying it was not a terrific read before - because obviously it is!  However, the complete read in one attentive single session truly makes evident the overall construction of the story, the tight plotting, and what a terrific work of art the entire piece is.

So, the moral of the story is - for fanfics you *LOVE*, if you do not already do this, print paper copies and save them and read them in their entirety without distraction.  It truly makes a difference.  In this way, the author's talent shines brightly through in a way that reading at your monitor in periodic installments just doesn't permit.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #432 on: September 27, 2006, 06:03:45 am »
Oh, Lynne, thank you...my cheeks are red.

I was very pleased with the way the bound version turned out...all 350 pages of it! It had a beautiful cover with art done by Lucise and was spiral bound. I have a copy and like you, Lynne, I find my self re-reading big chunks of it. Sometimes I say to myself in amazement, "I wrote this?" LOL

I am considering having another printing done, if enough people are interested. Cost would be $25 for printing, plus $5 for mailing ($30 total). If you would like a copy, send me a PM. I'll keep folks posted on the progress.

Thanks,

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #433 on: October 14, 2006, 07:12:16 am »
look what i got made today!  :)  :)

yes, it's going to be a wonderful weekend!  ;)

thank you Leslie!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #434 on: October 14, 2006, 08:12:42 am »
Wow! Isn't that a beautiful thing?

Fabienne is in Belgium and we figured the shipping might cost more than the printing, so I sent her the word file and cover art so she could print and bind it herself. If others would like me to do that, send me a pm with your email and I'll get it right out.

I am still collecting orders to have another printing done locally...so far I have two. I'll probably take it to Staples when I have five requests so if you are interested, send me a PM.

Thanks,

Leslie
MaineWriter
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Marge_Innavera

Re: A Love Born From Steel: all threads now merged here
« Reply #435 on: October 14, 2006, 02:07:50 pm »
David, you have come up with the farm house of my imagination.  Great!  Now can you paint it "prarie rose"?

Don't know if the color is officially called "prairie rose", but it sounds like a very dark rose color that's popular in parts of the Midwest for rehabbed frame houses.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #436 on: November 22, 2006, 06:50:49 pm »
To all my friends and readers,

I have posted a Thanksgiving thank you, because you are all special people and mean so much to me.

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/26460.html

Thank you for being there for me.

Leslie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #437 on: November 23, 2006, 02:50:03 pm »
To all my friends and readers,

I have posted a Thanksgiving thank you, because you are all special people and mean so much to me.

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/26460.html

Thank you for being there for me.

Leslie

thank you for being here for your readers leslie!  :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:10:07 am by belbbmfan »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #438 on: December 14, 2006, 10:41:20 am »
I am so excited!

Marge_Innavera wrote a great article about "Tom of Finland" in The Daily Sheet at davecullen.com:

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=18557.msg635353#msg635353

She mentions A Love Born From Steel and how Jack and Ennis discovered Hal's old collection of Physique Pictoral magazines. The article has pictures, too!

For anyone who wants to read that particular chapter, the link is here:

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/5121.html

Enjoy!

Leslie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #439 on: December 14, 2006, 11:12:12 am »
thanks for posting that link Leslie. I hadn't seen any of those Tom of Finland pictures, so i didn't really know what Jack and Ennis discovered.