Author Topic: Would You Rather....? A Fun New Game by Jess!  (Read 76365 times)

injest

Re: Would You Rather....? A Fun New Game by Jess!
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2009, 10:53:25 am »
MY first reaction (and the one I would do) is save the innocent person but thinking about it...isn't it better for one to die to save more? the needs of the many?

but I think the guilt would be too much....I couldn't do it..

and you have no way of knowing really that you have saved the many; the serial killer could die of a heart attack or get hit by a bus or something before he committed another crime.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2009, 02:57:39 pm »
That is the most terrible dilemma. Is the sacrifice of one life, justified by the saving of more.
 The other problem is, age would paly a role for me. If the death was that of an elderly, person in poor health,I would go with the loss of one for the greater good. If it was a child I would swing in the opposite direction.

It is a very clever question, but for me impossible to answer. I am going to abstain from this one !

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2009, 01:29:14 am »
I've thought about it and thought about it, and I don't have an answer.

I think if I had to choose, I would probably save the individual and try to catch the serial killer later. Why? Because I figure if I saw the killer, I probably got a pretty good look at him. Later, I could go through the police files on the Internet and find his mug shot. If he (or she) is a serial killer, they have probably been arrested before for petty crimes. And their finger prints are probably on file too. Once I find the killers picture, I can find out the name and the address. Then after all of that, I can hopefully catch him or her. I would work very fast and hope I nap the killer before they have a chance to hurt anyone else.

In the meantime a life has been saved.

Also, I tend to react to what is in front of me. If I see a suffering person, my mind would be trained on helping that person and nothing else. I can't stand to see anyone suffer. The possibility of a serial killer killing someone at a later time would be very abstract to me. The person in front of me would be very real and my instincts would force me to help that person.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2009, 01:31:57 am »
I've thought about it and thought about it, and I don't have an answer.

I think if I had to choose, I would probably save the individual and try to catch the serial killer later. Why? Because I figure if I saw the killer, I probably got a pretty good look at him. Later, I could go through the police files on the Internet and find his mug shot. If he (or she) is a serial killer, they have probably been arrested before for petty crimes. And their finger prints are probably on file too. Once I find the killers picture, I can find out the name and the address. Then after all of that, I can hopefully catch him or her. I would work very fast and hope I nap the killer before they have a chance to hurt anyone else.

In the meantime a life has been saved.

very logical!!