Author Topic: Stores Closing...use your gift cards now!  (Read 10890 times)

karen1129

Re: Stores Closing...use your gift cards now!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 06:55:56 pm »
It's very sad to see this happen. Roughly a quarter of the stores inside our malls around here have either already closed up or are going out of business. Of the remaining three quarters of the mall stores, probably half of them are on very shaky ground. Many of the stores at the strip mall/shopping centers are closing as well. Many stores are also closing in the downtown shopping district. It's very scary. :(

It really is David.

All the people that worked at these stores are now without jobs.

:'(

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 07:54:57 pm »
I have mixed feelings about it. Now all those mall workers have no jobs, no shitty mall jobs that is. And our homes won't be so filled with all that stuff that we have to rent storage units to put it in. And 14 year old girls in China won't have factory jobs to make all that stuff, so they'll have to go to school instead. Hmmm, maybe it isn't so bad after all!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 08:27:55 pm »

I have mixed feelings about it. Now all those mall workers have no jobs, no shitty mall jobs that is. And our homes won't be so filled with all that stuff that we have to rent storage units to put it in. And 14 year old girls in China won't have factory jobs to make all that stuff, so they'll have to go to school instead. Hmmm, maybe it isn't so bad after all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Gifts

Simple Gifts
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Simple Gifts" is an 1848 Shaker song by Elder Joseph Brackett.

It has endured many inaccurate descriptions. Though often classified as an anonymous Shaker hymn or as a work song, it is better classified as a "Dance Song" or a "Quick Dance." (That is apparent with such lines of the song as "turn, turn will be our delight" and "turning, turning we come round right". These are dance instructions.)

The lyrics

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right.

I'm conflicted myself. Sometimes I'd just like to stop all the "stuff" and become "simple." But then what happens when the economy really crashes?

And I really love my iPhone...  ::)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 08:30:49 pm »

A shitty job is better than no job at all, Lee. Now as far as the 14 year olds working in factories, I couldn't agree with you more.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 11:34:44 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Gifts

Simple Gifts
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Simple Gifts" is an 1848 Shaker song by Elder Joseph Brackett.

It has endured many inaccurate descriptions. Though often classified as an anonymous Shaker hymn or as a work song, it is better classified as a "Dance Song" or a "Quick Dance." (That is apparent with such lines of the song as "turn, turn will be our delight" and "turning, turning we come round right". These are dance instructions.)

Which is why I found it peculiar that "Simple Gifts" is in the Episcopal hymnal. It's a religious dance song.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 11:39:08 pm »
A shitty job is better than no job at all, Lee. Now as far as the 14 year olds working in factories, I couldn't agree with you more.
Oh, I'm not so sure. I was just reading a story, "Strange Stones" in the latest edition of The New Yorker, where a Peace Corps volunteer was teaching in China, and his students argued that littering is good, because without it, all the people who toil to clean up the roads would lose their jobs. It's logic like that that distract us from the important matters.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 12:00:02 am »
It's very sad to see this happen. Roughly a quarter of the stores inside our malls around here have either already closed up or are going out of business. Of the remaining three quarters of the mall stores, probably half of them are on very shaky ground. Many of the stores at the strip mall/shopping centers are closing as well. Many stores are also closing in the downtown shopping district. It's very scary. :(

It is the same here.All the malls are half empty, with more shops closed than open.It is getting quite scary. I never thought I would see Starbucks or the Disney store close. It seems like America is slowly shutting down.I don't quite know how to word it, but it is scary.We know so many people here  who are in foreclosure.We are only just hanging on and every day is another battle.

Even along the roads more and more businesses are closing.Each day I go into the shop it seems there is another one which has all the windows boarded up. I have to try and not let the kids see how scared I am. I keep thinking, we just have to hang on until June when I can take part of one of my pensions.
The last time I went into Macy's there was not a single person in there, not one!!
It does not seem much better in England.My sister in law has a beauty therapy business and one week before Xmas she had not one client in the whole week.That  in a very wealthy part of London as well.
I really do think this is going to be a very long, hard recovery,(I hope I am wrong) and personally, I would not do the Presidents job (not that I can) if it was offered to me on a gold platter with an 8 figure salary. !!!

He will I guess, either be remembered  as the one who saved the American economy, or sunk it. Let's hope it is the former.I certainly do not envy him.

The odd thing is, one of the closest, small strip malls to where we live, had a Panera breadshop open.They sell bread and sandwiches at ludicrous prices, yet it is always busy, so some people still have money. $7 for a loaf, you have to be kidding me.
If we could get the finance, fat chance, I would love to lease one of the numerous empty shops there as a butchers. Our meat is so good that some people come 30 miles for it.Not enough I am afraid, I just think if we could sell that quality of meat, in Sarasota, but at Bradenton prices we would do very nicely.In the meantime it is try to build up the internet, delivery side of things.

Ah well, faint heart and all that !!!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 12:15:26 am »

Which is why I found it peculiar that "Simple Gifts" is in the Episcopal hymnal. It's a religious dance song.

You might like this, Jeff.

Simple Gifts                                                                       (3:44)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwH6-QmvM5c&feature=related[/youtube]

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 12:22:09 am »

It's probably in every hymnal.  A nearly perfect song, IMO.

Nice to see you, Jeff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 12:22:45 am »

Simple Gifts                                                                       (3:44)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwH6-QmvM5c&feature=related[/youtube]

I quibble with the changes this guy made to the tune.