Author Topic: Disturbing Carjacking Scheme! **Please Take a Moment to Read This**  (Read 6406 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Disturbing Carjacking Scheme! **Please Take a Moment to Read This**
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 07:53:48 am »
It turns out that the very first incident I posted is an urban legend. One of the members here (thank you Chuck!) alerted me to it and pointed me to Snopes. Sure enough, there it was! Which is good I guess, but I feel a bit of a fool now. I'm surprised my neighborhood crime watch would fall for something like this, and apparently the IMPD did too! :-\

David, please don't feel foolish.

Those "urban legends" are started by people looking for attention, and to fool people.

You posted this in an effort to protect people, and to help.  That's not something to feel foolish about.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 11:38:16 am »
For a second I misread IMPD for IMDB and thought huh? What does IMDB have to do with car-jacking? :laugh:

BTW, in Germany people don't lock their cars when driving. In contrast, we're all taught to never lock it when driving, in case you have an accident and are unconscious, help can get to you easier and faster.
I was astonished to learn that in the US some cars lock automatically when you start driving.

my car does that - you can turn the function off though.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 12:09:53 am »
David, you should never feel silly for trying to help and advse people.In England, car jackers will deliberately run into the back of your car.The driver of the damaged car immediately gets out to inspect the damage and exchange insurance details.The car jackers move off with your car.

The police advise never to get out of your car, when in an accident, just stay put. Who knows waht craziness will be next, particularly in this economy.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 01:45:04 am »
Aww, thank you Fiona and Chuck. :-*

I was talking about this topic on a different forum yesterday. I pointed out - and they agreed with me - that it really wouldn't take much for some of these urban legends to come true. Just think about it. Lots of people hear these urban legends and it wouldn't be much of a stretch to assume some people might actually try some of them. Many of them are simple and probably easy to perpetrate. Sticking a piece of paper on the back window of a car for example, and then waiting until the owner arrives, climbs in the car, notices the paper and gets back out to pull it off. The car owner is probably not paying attention to his or her surroundings and therefore it would be a perfect opportunity to jump him or her and steal the car.

It just seems to me that probably some of these legends will come true sooner or later. Anyway, I've often wondered about it. So, it's probably a good idea to keep our eyes open, notice our surroundings and hopefully nothing bad will happen to any of us. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 01:51:18 am »
David, you should never feel silly for trying to help and advse people.In England, car jackers will deliberately run into the back of your car.The driver of the damaged car immediately gets out to inspect the damage and exchange insurance details.The car jackers move off with your car.

The police advise never to get out of your car, when in an accident, just stay put. Who knows waht craziness will be next, particularly in this economy.

That's why I don't like it when somebody starts tailgating me. That happens a lot around here. They get right up on the tail of the car and it makes me VERY nervous. I've often been tempted to slam on my brakes and let them ram into the back of me just to teach them a lesson. But I haven't done it....yet. I have full coverage. I could always tell the police I saw a squirrel run across the road. No, I doubt I ever would do it, but I often think about it.

I had not heard about that scheme Fiona. Thanks for telling us about it. If it can happen over there, it can happen here too. It's probably just a matter of time. :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 11:45:17 am »
David I am amazed but delighted that this particular form of car jacking is not common here. It was all over the news In England at least 4 years ago.

There are so many scams there it beggars belief. One scheme actually involved a lady in the next road to us. Most of the houses had electronic gates, but this lady as well as myself, would get out the car before the gates shut. I never did that again. The woman was half way out her car when she was jumped and attacked, the thief held her at knife point and took her Rolex and purse.

I was terrified after that and would sit in my locked car until the gates were shut, even then I felt uneasy. In London there was a spate of incidents in which wealthy folk even some celebs, had their Rolex's snatched at traffic lights.

I find the world an ever increasingly scary place. The ingenuity of thieves knows no bounds. When I was in practice, I had fitted a man with contact lenses. I told him he could either sit in the waiting room for 20-30 mins, while they settled or go for a walk around. You've guessed it, he never came back. He was not a new contact lens wearer,he just needed replacement lenses.The address he had given us was fictitious.

For sheer desperation though you can't beat our store here. I even found an empty tin of ham the other day. The thief had pulled the ring tab on top, pulled out the ham and then left. !!!

I increasingly find the only places where good folk still exist, are here at Bettermost and with family and friends. I suspect as the recession continues that the situation will only deteriorate further, but I am having a bit of a glass half empty day.

I do however think, even if they are Urban myths, it is our duty to make as many people aware as possible. As you said, it is a small step from urban myth to fact.

I now always park away from other cars. I lock my door immediately apon getting into my car and constantly check round watching for anything. There was a couple of incidents in Florida where women were kidnapped and then raped and killed. The 2 incidents I know of, both took place in shopping mall carparks.

I think we all have to be vigilant these days.