Author Topic: When I say Holland....  (Read 28311 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: When I say Holland....
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2006, 05:41:49 pm »
Oh my God! If he sat down in one of those shoes, he could probably sail back to America in it!  :)

Those pictures are great! :D

LOL!  Who needs to buy a plane ticket eh?  ;D  Just get one of those babies and off you go!  ;)

Interestingly enough, when I think of Holland, I don't think of:

OR       

:)

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2006, 06:43:37 pm »
Helen -

I envy you! That's wonderful you are going to go back again!  :D

Welcome To Bettermost by the way! I'm glad you are here!  :)
She's coming back to visit me again! And we will most definitely go out for poffertjes again  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2006, 06:45:00 pm »
David, thank you for those wonderful childhood memories. I love Sinterklaas! thank god, he's still coming round every year for my two daughters. (means I get to eat a lot of chocolate)

I have often wondered who enjoys the holidays more; the children or the adults!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2006, 06:50:22 pm »
She's coming back to visit me again! And we will most definitely go out for poffertjes again  :D

The two of you are friends? I mean, you actually know each other?

:D  Geweldig!   :D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2006, 07:09:22 pm »
The two of you are friends? I mean, you actually know each other?

:D  Geweldig!   :D
LOL  jij bent ook GEWELDIG David!
Yeah, we are really great friends and I had a wonderful time showing Helen around Holland  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2006, 07:12:14 pm »
This is such a GREAT place! Helen and I used to hang out on the DC BBM Forum. I'm just a newbie here but I love it  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2006, 07:23:40 pm »
Welkom in Bettermost Bigheart!

Aangenaam kennis te maken!  :D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2006, 07:26:16 pm »
Welkom in Bettermost Bigheart!

Aangenaam kennis te maken!  :D
Dank je wel David!
Ook heel prettig om met jou kennis te maken!  :D

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2006, 12:35:54 am »
Amber -

I have been to Holland, Michigan. I was happy to see a small part of the United States was so Dutch! :D

Do you remember the windmill? If I remember correctly, this windmill actually came from the Netherlands. They dismantled it in Holland, shipped it over to Michigan and rebuilt it! Pretty cool, huh? I think they nicknamed it "De Zwaan" which means swan in Dutch. It's a good name too!

While Holland, Michigan is not quite the Netherlands, it is very Dutch.

Yes, it is a tourist trap. But these tourists can, at  the very least get a glimpse of the Netherlands without ever crossing the Atlantic.

Did you notice the nearby towns around Holland Michigan also have Dutch names... names like Zeeland, Graafschap, Vriesland and Overisel? Did you open up their local telephone book and notice all the Dutch names listed in it? Nearly everyone who lives there is Dutch!  :)

Holland, Michigan may be a far cry from the Netherlands but don't sell yourself short Amber. At least you had a chance to taste thi wonderful Dutch culture. And that's not too bad considering this little slice of Holland is located smack dab in the American Midwest! :)

You are correct about the windmill.  The whole set up they have in that area is actually really cool.  If you are there at the right time of day they have people dancing in clogs and demonstrations on how clogs are made etc.  Interesting stuff.

Oddly, for as free thinking we associate the Holland overseas to be, the entire West side of Michigan is known for being overwhelmingly republican and uber conservative and often the reason that is given for that is the large number of Dutch that are in the area.  I dunno.  I think it's because there are a heck of a lot of rich people on that side of the state *lol* 

Anyways I digress - it's nice to know that I've seen a slice of what the actual Holland is like.  I always wondered how much they were fabricating and I'm glad to know that I actually learned something useful while I was there : )
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2006, 01:43:20 am »
Anyways I digress - it's nice to know that I've seen a slice of what the actual Holland is like.  I always wondered how much they were fabricating and I'm glad to know that I actually learned something useful while I was there : )

Amber- Like I said, Holland, Michigan is not the Netherlands. Keep your passport current. But yes, you did learn something while you were there. Holland is a wonderful city! :)