Author Topic: The BetterMost Can Club  (Read 56999 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The BetterMost Can Club
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 07:40:10 pm »
Karen, someone has to have some sense and hire you with all your experience.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 08:07:05 pm »
This sure isn't where I hoped or expected to be at my age....but........... :-\

You'll come out of this just fine. You can't keep an "old war horse" down--that's how they got to be old war horses!  ;D  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2009, 03:29:30 pm »
Places everybody...Let's do a rousing rendition of "I'm Not Dead Yet!!"

ROBIN (spoken):
Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!

LANCE (spoken):
Here's one.

DAD (spoken):
I'm not dead!

ROBIN (spoken):
Here, he says he's not dead!

LANCE (spoken):
Yes he is.

DAD (spoken):
I feel happy. I feel happy.
(sung)
I am not dead yet
I can dance and I can sing
I am not dead yet
I can do the Highland Fling

I am not dead yet
No need to go to bed
No need to call the doctor
Cause I'm not yet dead.

BODIES:
He is not yet dead
That's what the geezer said
No, he's not yet dead
That man is off his head

He is not yet dead
So put him back in bed
Keep him off the cart because he's not yet dead.

Well now he's dead
You whacked him on the head
Sure, now he's dead
It makes me just see red
You are such a brute
To murder that old coot
You homicidal bastard, now he's really dead
Who is the knave who put him in his grave
And who needs to manage his anger?

LANCE:
My name is Lancelot
I'm big, and strong, and hot.
Occasionally I do
Some things that I should not.

ROBIN:
I want to be a knight
But I don't like to fight
I'm rather scared I may
Just simply run away

LANCE:
I'll be right with you
Robin, through and through and through
So stick with me
And I'll show you what to do

ROBIN:
We'll remain good chums
You can teach me how to dance

ROBIN & LANCE:
We're going to enlist

ROBIN
I'm Robin

LANCE
And I'm Lance

CHORUS:
Oh we're off to war
Because we're not yet dead
We will all enlist
As the Knights that Arthur led.

DAD:
I am coming too
My name will be Sir Fred
I'll be your musician
Cos I'm not yet dead

CHORUS:
Oh we're not yet dead
To Camelot we go
To enlist instead
To try and earn some dough
And so although
We should have stayed in bed
We're going off to war
Because we're not yet dead

FRED:
I am coming, too
My name will be Sir Fred
I'll be your musician
'Cause I'm not yet dead

LANCE:
To kill
I will
It gives me such a thrill

ROBIN:
To sing
And dance
And keep an eye on Lance

ALL:
We're going off to war
We'll have girlfriends by the score

DAD:
We'll be shot by Michael Moore!

ALL: Because we're not yet dead.

[Thanks to [email protected] for lyrics]
[Thanks to [email protected] for corrections]
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 04:47:45 am »
Today will be my last day at my job. And I'm DRUNK right now. haha. :laugh:

But whatever. I couldn't give a shit about it anymore. :P

Hey Lee! I'm Not Dead Yet!! So, Let's all get our asses UP and think about a better tomorrow! :D

It will happne. There's always tomorrow, right? :)

Tomorrow WILL be a better day! :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 04:57:23 am »
aww, David honwy - enjoy your last day as much as you can.

xx
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2009, 02:46:15 pm »
Oh !! :'(

I am just so sad reading through this topic. My REALLY HEARTFELT sympathy goes out to all of you. I feel so guilty moaning about all my stuff now.

I do have a job, so I guess I cannot be a member. I have however lost $900,000 in one day, and swapped from employer to employee. Now the lady who was my employee is my manageress and tells me when I can have a break.

I spent most of my 1st day scrubbing shelves and contending with the sideways looks and laughs from people I had sacked.

I have to work with the guy who was behind the armed robbery(gun to husbands head) of the store and know he is earning triple what I am.

I  see I am lucky, compared to others here. If we ever manage to get another business , with what small amount of money is left. Then I would gladly employ any Bettermostians.

You have all, in so many ways given me hope when I though it had all gone.

I am so proud to call myself a Brokie and resident of Bettermost. I hope you all find even temporary employment soon. I think unfortunately, no one is safe these days.

My poor brother, who lives in Japan is now going through his second recession.He lived through the lost decade of the 90's, clawed his way back, just negotiated a pension and long term contract, then bingo, both vanish.

I will keep all of you in my thoughts, and on Monday when I am scrubbing again or shelf stacking the store I used to own.I will thank my lucky stars that I at least have a job.

Massive hugs to all of you and you really will be in my thoughts.
I will scrub away thinking, you (previous employees) may think you have broken me, but you have not, because I have something none of you will ever have. The privilege to live, at least part time in Bettermost.A town where people actually give a damn and by virtue of that, a place deep inside that none of you will ever break. !!!

I don't know what else to say. Maybe simply, shit happens to good people.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2009, 05:30:19 pm »
I've just noticed this thread cause I see Fiona posted on it, and I always like to know what she's thinking.  Saves us time and long-distance charges yapping about it once I've told her I already know, then she doesn't have to go into as much detail.

I've only had a job a total of 4 months in the last 3-1/2 years, actually.  Got canned from the last one on 7/21/08, but I didn't mind at all because I hated it.  Also cause my mom was dying, and I was happy to have my days free to spend with her at the nursing home and hospital where she lived out her last months.  Since then, I've been lucky enough to get a bit of the initial inheritance, while my brother and I work to clean out our family home and 60 years' worth of packratedness.  It will be a 2-year chore, at least, before we can put it on the market, and by that time, hopefully the economy will have swung around a bit, and we can make a good sale.  Till then, unless an unbelievable offer comes in via friends or networking, I'll remain unemployed.  Like a few of the other ladies here, I am on my own, but again I'm lucky in that I was always paid well in my 17 years in aerospace purchasing, and I live quite frugally, so I managed to save and invest a good deal to support myself.  Paid off house and car many years ago, so my only bills are utilities, groceries, insurance, and a never-ending supply of vodka:)

Sorry and best of luck to all others who don't have it as lucky as I, during these horrible times.  Maybe people can post what careers they had or want to have in future, just in case some of the rest of us know of openings outside our own personal line of experience?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline optom3

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2009, 05:45:04 pm »
Good idea about trying to do some networking here. You never know what can be just round the corner. Things can change in the blinking of an eye.
 Our local liquor store has been in steep decline since the departure of Mandy !!!!  I am only joking, or am I. Still as I can no longer get free beer via the store, I can maybe help his business by trying to take over where Mandy left off.

That is if I have enough years left !!!!

It is very very scary how quick change comes.Thursday I was asking Miss X to help clean up a bit. Friday she was telling me to. !!!

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2009, 08:24:51 pm »
Geez, girl, don't even go there.  At your 100 lbs (if that) and my 160, and my genetic disposition for the hard stuff (liquor and wine) instead of the soft stuff (beer), you couldn't compete in a bazillion years.  My local neighborhood liquor store owner greets me with a big hug and a chat each time I go in.  I've probably solely kept that place in business over the last year since they opened.  I do believe that I apologized to your local liquor owner when I left, and gave him ample warning that he'd have to pick up for my lost sales somewhere else, do some extra advertising or something, cause I wouldn't be back in Florida for a while.  If he goes under, it's not down to me:)
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2009, 02:07:25 pm »
You're always welcome at the BetterMost Can Club, David, Mandy, and Fiona!! I've been extremely busy ever since the ax fell on me which helps a lot. I'm just now getting back into the swing of things after a visit from my dear friend Vermont Sunset. I've established a new daily routine which I like a lot. After getting my son off to school, I meet friends and network, spend some time computing at a coffee shop, or run errands. I then go back home and hit the gym for a good workout. Today I cycled seven miles, burning 300 calories at an average of 15 mph so far. Now it's time to do some more computing while I have my first meal of the day. It's over 70 degrees in Denver today, so I'm planning to go for a long walk with my dog later on!

I'm making it a point to avoid wallowing, TV, and alcohol, all energy suckers. So far, it's working!
"chewing gum and duct tape"