Author Topic: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale  (Read 259651 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale
« on: March 08, 2009, 05:01:01 pm »

And surprise surprise...

please read the "warning" notice about a slight change in genre here, but yes, there is a new Greenlea Tale coming, and you have my nightmares to thank for it!

New Story Announcement

http://louisev.livejournal.com/288008.html

http://louisev.livejournal.com/288382.html  "The Persistence of Memory: Chapter 1"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 06:58:15 pm »
and... for those who need to get off the cliff just a tad:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/288667.html

but while I can assure everyone that Ellery is going to be okay, Ellery's words at the end of this chapter pretty much describe how things will be for the time being!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 07:01:42 pm »
This is MOST WONDROUS news!  ;D Can't wait to delve into the newest tale! Thank you Louise!!
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 07:25:33 pm »
This is MOST WONDROUS news!  ;D Can't wait to delve into the newest tale! Thank you Louise!!

whoo wee!  And here I thought people were getting bored with the "franchise"!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:50:16 pm »
whoo wee!  And here I thought people were getting bored with the "franchise"!

No way!  This is very exciting as well as intriguing. 

SPOILERS

First, thanks for getting us off the cliff - a tad. 

I found the first chapter so interesting in a number of ways.   Esteban seems to want to talk to Dr. Caulfield about his issues, but I'm betting he's in the minority on that count.  Also, the TAT (or at least the one picture we saw with the frowning man and the woman behind his shoulder) seems geared toward heterosexuals, which should make it very interesting when Dupree and Ellery get their turn ..... although it appears Ellery many not have his appointment for a while....

Holy Crap, Louise.  The second chapter was amazing!  Have you had an injury similar to Ellery's?  Because that stream of consciousness was so real!  I've never had a blunt force trauma to the head, but I have passed out and you described that feeling of forcing your way back into a conscious state so perfectly.  And I really appreciated that, even in that condition, Ellery was so very Ellery, worrying about Colson and Dupree  - and thinking Jes stop sayin okay, asshole.

.. it ain’t fuckin okay, an it won’t be okay for a long time ta come.

Oh my.  Looks like we have to fasten our seat belts.  Terrific start, Louise.  Thanks!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 09:21:00 pm »

Heheheh yeah if that card is used in Ellery's TAT it might reveal a whole different perspective.

I have had falls, yes.  I've never actually been clocked with a baseball bat!  But I have had serious physical trauma involving wickedly bad pain, yes, so I generally try, because I like to get these things right, to write about things that - if they aren't exactly something I have experienced, are in some way analogous or can be extrapolated.

And guess what!

Chapter 3!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/288907.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 01:13:36 pm »
And guess what!

Chapter 3!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/288907.html

SPOILERS

Wow.  Another heart-pounder.   Our star rookie has been through more than a lot of seasoned vets in the department. 

He thought he could hear the blood dripping from the upstairs breezeway.

This struck me as a particularly evocative sentence - when we're in these high stress situations, details like this (real or imagined) are always heightened.

And I see that Leslie is still with emergency dispatch!  :)  I remember how she stayed on the phone with Colson way back when .... I think when Sevigny was nosing around.  Which reminds me that there is still a Sevigny matter to be dealt with!  This is great, Louise.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 01:25:43 pm »
yep, good old Leslie is still there.  But the Sheriff is fully in control of his men here, and can't help but cut in.

Well I seem to have gotten some excited attention from everybody, I'm glad it's not causing a panic like the kidnapping plot did!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 01:40:17 pm »
yep, good old Leslie is still there.  But the Sheriff is fully in control of his men here, and can't help but cut in.

Well I seem to have gotten some excited attention from everybody, I'm glad it's not causing a panic like the kidnapping plot did!

Yes, there is never any doubt about who is the Sheriff of Greenlea County!

God, yes, I remember the frantic search for Colson, the relief when his call came in, and how Ellery rushed to his side.  Which also reminds me that Colson should be running into that hospital any time now! 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 02:05:33 pm »
Yes, there is never any doubt about who is the Sheriff of Greenlea County!

God, yes, I remember the frantic search for Colson, the relief when his call came in, and how Ellery rushed to his side.  Which also reminds me that Colson should be running into that hospital any time now! 

heheheheh... well, yes, but remember I promised a more stream-of-consciousness approach.  Things aren't necessarily going to happen in realtime in this story!    I am rather pleased at how the initial chapters turned out, though!  If I can get my head around what comes next I'll probably be writing another chapter today, but I may need to think about it a bit.