Author Topic: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale  (Read 259660 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale
« Reply #320 on: June 13, 2009, 01:12:40 pm »
Yep, there was a bit of a no-showing last night...as you know I have a bit of an allergy when it comes to happily-ever-afters.  After all, the only happy couple that is a really happy couple in that story without bumps or diversions, is Edna and Wes.  Mel and Bunny (good god!) Esteban's marriage is probably on the rocks, Colson and Ellery fight regularly, Jeremy and Nick even moreso, and even the otherwise-idyllic partnership of Pookie and Simon has seen trouble in paradise.  Not to mention the on-again off-again fortunes of Jeeves, Lance, Sergio, Clyde and Jerry from the Red Stallion.  So will a Happily Ever After firm up for Henry and Paula?  Weeelllll, not so fast, amiga!

I guess this is why I don't think my work is suitable for the "romance" genre, cause I just don't see a lot of happily ever afters in my characters' lives.

No, you defintely do not write "romances," Louise!  :laugh: 

But, gosh, poor Paula.  Happily Ever After may not be in the cards for her and Henry, but maybe a little Happily For A Little While So She Can Get Her Mind Off of the Charming But Definitely Unavailable Chief Deputy?   But, then again, angst-free couplings are not only unrealistic - they're flat-out boring!  And boring is another thing that you definitely do not write! 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #321 on: June 13, 2009, 01:24:55 pm »
No, you defintely do not write "romances," Louise!  :laugh: 

But, gosh, poor Paula.  Happily Ever After may not be in the cards for her and Henry, but maybe a little Happily For A Little While So She Can Get Her Mind Off of the Charming But Definitely Unavailable Chief Deputy?   But, then again, angst-free couplings are not only unrealistic - they're flat-out boring!  And boring is another thing that you definitely do not write! 

well, not genre romances in any case!  I've been still trying to define where to put the Greenlea Tales in terms of genre, and I'm not sure it fits anywhere in the romance area.  Maybe GLBT fiction, without the strictures on "romance."  Who knows!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #322 on: June 13, 2009, 10:50:14 pm »
and a little retro here to fill in the blanks!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/312105.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #323 on: June 14, 2009, 07:04:44 pm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #324 on: June 14, 2009, 09:22:32 pm »
Oh, boy - two chapters to read  :)

SPOILERS

Well, holy moly, Louise!  Ouch, ouch, ouch.   I once had just a couple drops of boiling water fall onto my hand and it was excruciating, so I don't even want to think of poor Paula's pain!  At least she was able to hold it together until 911 got there, and even though she let Kelly know what happend, she must be frantic!  Really good talk between Paula and Kelly, though. 

And, yet again, we see how very valuable Wesley is, not only to the sheriff's department and to the county, but to his colleagues and friends as well.  He doesn't miss a trick, knows how to delegate, and brooks no nonsense with anyone.   I know Jeremy's concern is genuine, but he needs to learn to rein in his White Knight Syndrome a bit.  Wes's hunch is right that it would be awkward for Jeremy to show up along with Henry.  And, frankly, if Nick found out I can't say I'd blame him for being peeved.

But, man oh man, they could all use a break from drama.  Thanks, Louise!

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #325 on: June 14, 2009, 09:36:59 pm »
I take it that twist in the plot was a surprise!

muah hahahahah.  Something in me just loves doing that.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #326 on: June 15, 2009, 09:37:33 pm »
And onward to the main subject

Chapter 96:  http://louisev.livejournal.com/312577.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #327 on: June 16, 2009, 09:52:05 am »
And onward to the main subject

Chapter 96:  http://louisev.livejournal.com/312577.html

SPOILERS

Colson wandered to the window, pushed aside the curtain and looked out toward the water feeder. There were two red hummingbirds there now, and he ached to return to his comfortable seat on the patio, or go out to try to find a camera that would allow him to zoom in on the tiny creatures as they fluttered like tiny windmills, holding themselves perfectly still as they sipped with sharp bills at the flower-shaped water troughs.

Oh, that's lovely! From the first moment Colson spotted those birds in Ellery's yard, I have always loved watching the relationship he's developed with them and how that allows him not just an escape valve from his worries, but also let's him tap into his inherent connection with nature.  Thanks, Louise!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #328 on: June 16, 2009, 02:22:08 pm »
SPOILERS

Colson wandered to the window, pushed aside the curtain and looked out toward the water feeder. There were two red hummingbirds there now, and he ached to return to his comfortable seat on the patio, or go out to try to find a camera that would allow him to zoom in on the tiny creatures as they fluttered like tiny windmills, holding themselves perfectly still as they sipped with sharp bills at the flower-shaped water troughs.

Oh, that's lovely! From the first moment Colson spotted those birds in Ellery's yard, I have always loved watching the relationship he's developed with them and how that allows him not just an escape valve from his worries, but also let's him tap into his inherent connection with nature.  Thanks, Louise!

Colson's going to be developing some new hobbies with his man in a sickbed!!

As you might imagine, I have some experience in watching hummingbirds - I especially love the red ones that flutter around those water feeders!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #329 on: June 16, 2009, 10:38:05 pm »
and now, back to Memorial !  Chapter 97

http://louisev.livejournal.com/312876.html