Author Topic: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale  (Read 259659 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale
« Reply #390 on: July 06, 2009, 10:23:51 pm »
and now, back to the next-to-the-busiest place in Tourmaline right now!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/317015.html  Chapter 113!

SPOILERS

“So from a gestalt perspective, both Sergeant Dupree and Paula are involved with Chief Cantrell, to the point of participating in his crisis. That is one way to look at it.”

Yes, that certainly is one way to look at it!  And I wonder what Henry would think if he knew that Sergeant Dupree and Paula were not only involved with Chief Cantrell - but had also been kinda, sorta involved with each other - albeit briefly and disastrously!

Interesting stuff, Louise!  As Joe said - "Thanks for the psychology lesson!”
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #391 on: July 06, 2009, 10:31:22 pm »

I wanted to get a little more deep into Henry's psychology to show that he does know his stuff, and is definitely dedicated to the new revelations of Frederick Perls' "gestalt" approach, which was one of the latest and greatest approaches in psychology and psychiatry, along with "rational-emotive"  therapy, which is the dominant form of psychological counseling in America today.  Just as a side-note, I took a minor in psychology in college and did a great deal of reading on rational-emotive therapy and Gestalt psychology, and found the "crackpot" ideas of Perls to be refreshing and even comical in some ways, and have always wanted to write about someone trying to apply the teachings of Perls in a clinical setting.

In fact... this gives me a very interesting idea for a follow-up story about Henry trying to establish a practice as a Gestalt psychologist, and to build his clientele, offers discount rates.  Just imagine who would be looking to line up for counseling with the good Doctor!

bwah hahahaha I'm chuckling already thinking about it.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #392 on: July 07, 2009, 11:13:57 am »

I wanted to get a little more deep into Henry's psychology to show that he does know his stuff, and is definitely dedicated to the new revelations of Frederick Perls' "gestalt" approach, which was one of the latest and greatest approaches in psychology and psychiatry, along with "rational-emotive"  therapy, which is the dominant form of psychological counseling in America today.  Just as a side-note, I took a minor in psychology in college and did a great deal of reading on rational-emotive therapy and Gestalt psychology, and found the "crackpot" ideas of Perls to be refreshing and even comical in some ways, and have always wanted to write about someone trying to apply the teachings of Perls in a clinical setting.

In fact... this gives me a very interesting idea for a follow-up story about Henry trying to establish a practice as a Gestalt psychologist, and to build his clientele, offers discount rates.  Just imagine who would be looking to line up for counseling with the good Doctor!

What a great idea! That story would really be a hoot! I can hardly wait to start reading it.

Yes, I'm reading this story, and enjoying it immensely. I think your stream of consciousness unfolding is a great device.

I'm truly addicted to your writing.   :)

Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #393 on: July 07, 2009, 11:52:53 am »

What a great idea! That story would really be a hoot! I can hardly wait to start reading it.

Yes, I'm reading this story, and enjoying it immensely. I think your stream of consciousness unfolding is a great device.

I'm truly addicted to your writing.   :)

Wow!  Fred!  Great to see you here, and glad to see you're enjoying it. 

And uh-oh! now I'm going to be committed to writing the Henry story!  Marie and Fabienne and various and sundry others have been faithfully commenting and it has been keeping me going, and now this story is 135,000 words, and I can hardly believe it!  I've moved twice since I started writing it!  Or is it three times?  Can't keep track.  But Ellery can still be found at 92 (or is it 91) Tourmaline Road, and there's always more hijinks happening at that address!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #394 on: July 07, 2009, 11:58:27 am »

:laugh:  You know who I'd like to see "on the couch"?  Edna! There is a lot more to Edna than meets the eye, I think!  Actually, the possibilities are endless for interesting clients in Tourmaline .....
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #395 on: July 07, 2009, 02:20:29 pm »
:laugh:  You know who I'd like to see "on the couch"?  Edna! There is a lot more to Edna than meets the eye, I think!  Actually, the possibilities are endless for interesting clients in Tourmaline .....

oh no, now a title has popped into my head:  "Edna on the couch"!

clearly my job is getting too tedious for me if I start imagining things like this!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #396 on: July 07, 2009, 09:12:55 pm »
I'm working on the next chapter... this story just WON'T end!  Actually it will... but not today.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #397 on: July 07, 2009, 09:40:51 pm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #398 on: July 07, 2009, 10:42:26 pm »

Here is chapter 114!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/317429.html

SPOILERS

...the toilet water a the queer elite...

:laugh:  Nicky has a way with words!  But I was moved by his thoughts, and his insecurity is easy to understand.  I don't doubt that Jeremy does have a bit of a "soulful puppy look" about him when Ellery is around.  It wasn't so long ago that Jeremy was giving Colson some advice about being more sensitive to Ellery's needs - and if Colson didn't have his hands (and mind) full right now worrying and caring for Ellery maybe he could return the favor and give some advice back to Jeremy because he could use some, I think.  The broken record litany is useless so long as he's sending mixed messages and being dismissive of Nick's feelings.  I imagine Nick will be running into that emergency room like gangbusters ......

So many interesting threads to this story - I can't decide who I want to see next!  Thanks, Louise.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #399 on: July 08, 2009, 09:20:12 am »
SPOILERS

I imagine Nick will be running into that emergency room like gangbusters ......

So many interesting threads to this story - I can't decide who I want to see next!  Thanks, Louise.

you are getting very good at predicting things, Marie!  I wonder if that means I'm becoming predictable!