Author Topic: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale  (Read 259687 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale
« Reply #440 on: July 18, 2009, 07:55:30 pm »
and here is chapter 125! answering the question on everyone's mind!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/320096.html

SPOILERS

All kinds of good stuff in this chapter!  I'm repeating myself, but I need to - your dialogue is just so real.  I love how their conversation meanders from pain pills to a wig ( :laugh: good one, Colson!) to skunk piss to Edna's muffins to Ellery's momma vs. the school nurse (it was quite touching to hear Ellery speak of her) to the dangers of microwaves to law school (I actually think Ellery would make an excellent attorney - he can't bear to lose an argument  :laugh:) to the bar to Joe and back to muffins!  But Colson wins the prize for the best line:

“I was just bein myself,” Ellery said. “Just like I always am.”

“No, you were a whole lot ornerier than you always are,” Colson said. “Trust me on that.”

:laugh:  Well, if you can't be honest with your own husband, who can you be honest with?  Poor Nicky.  Thanks, Louise!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #441 on: July 18, 2009, 07:59:01 pm »
awww, I'm glad the dialogue went over well.

I am still cogitating on what I should be writing next, because this story had a very good arc to it and I want to keep up the type of momentum that this had.  Although there are enough story hooks to write a sequel as it stands right now:

a) Paula's affair with Henry

b) the ongoing saga of Nick and Jeremy

c) Esteban leading the Alamo investigation

d) Joe as the temporary chief deputy

and of course, developments at the Red Stallion as Lauren gets used to being "in charge."
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #442 on: July 18, 2009, 08:53:31 pm »
Hm, I may post the final chapter of this story tonight.  Stay tuned.

ETA: okay I didn't quite get to the end! but here is the super bonus chapter 126!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/320440.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:08:42 pm by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #443 on: July 19, 2009, 10:47:28 am »
awww, I'm glad the dialogue went over well.

I am still cogitating on what I should be writing next, because this story had a very good arc to it and I want to keep up the type of momentum that this had.  Although there are enough story hooks to write a sequel as it stands right now:

a) Paula's affair with Henry

b) the ongoing saga of Nick and Jeremy

c) Esteban leading the Alamo investigation

d) Joe as the temporary chief deputy

and of course, developments at the Red Stallion as Lauren gets used to being "in charge."

Yes, with all those hooks, this tale does seem to be begging for a sequel!

ETA: okay I didn't quite get to the end! but here is the super bonus chapter 126!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/320440.html

SPOILERS

I really liked seeing Joe in action.  Bates may not be perspicacious, but Joe certainly is!  He played Bates perfectly, and even if Bates has a clean record, he did turn a blind eye and almost cost a fellow officer his life.  I wonder what Allende is doing now - or even if he's still alive. Thanks, Louise!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #444 on: July 19, 2009, 11:25:04 am »
Yes, with all those hooks, this tale does seem to be begging for a sequel!

hehehe yeah that's sorta what I've been thinking.  That simple whack over the head down at the Alamo Apartments turned into the biggest case since Worrell - actually - bigger.

SPOILERS

I really liked seeing Joe in action.  Bates may not be perspicacious, but Joe certainly is!  He played Bates perfectly, and even if Bates has a clean record, he did turn a blind eye and almost cost a fellow officer his life.  I wonder what Allende is doing now - or even if he's still alive. Thanks, Louise!

Joe Tooey has always been sort of a supporting character, but gradually through the course of this he has taken on more and more of the center stage, by necessity.  One thing I am going to need to do, however, is to compile a list of character and family names.  I did a lot of research back in the previous books to come up with all of the data that I did, including the other members of the Sheriff's department that have played cameo roles.  Now - it's just too much.  So I am going to spend a bit of a hiatus period going through names (and I may include places, and then post a "Index to the Greenlea Tales" before getting to the next story.  So I won't go totally mad!  But it may take a few days to complete it.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #445 on: July 19, 2009, 04:03:48 pm »
And here's the wrapup!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/320749.html  Chapter 127

That is my largest story to date, outside of the original (and now downsized) original series books!

"The Persistence of Memory" weighs in at 155,000 words!!! holy COW!

What comes next is I'm going to take a little time to put together a character index with book and page references, and build my Wikipedia page on the GLBT Bookshelf.

After that, I may be dividng my time between editing and prepping the series as E-books for publication - actually, "Taking Chances" is already to go, and seeing how they test-market on the GLBT Bookshelf from my own imprint.

And then I'll be launching into the sequel to "Persistence of Memory".  My tentative title for the sequel to this book is "Agents of the Law"

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #446 on: July 19, 2009, 06:54:10 pm »
And here's the wrapup!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/320749.html  Chapter 127

That is my largest story to date, outside of the original (and now downsized) original series books!

"The Persistence of Memory" weighs in at 155,000 words!!! holy COW!

What comes next is I'm going to take a little time to put together a character index with book and page references, and build my Wikipedia page on the GLBT Bookshelf.

After that, I may be dividng my time between editing and prepping the series as E-books for publication - actually, "Taking Chances" is already to go, and seeing how they test-market on the GLBT Bookshelf from my own imprint.

And then I'll be launching into the sequel to "Persistence of Memory".  My tentative title for the sequel to this book is "Agents of the Law"

Holy cow is right - you really got on a roll!   Let us know when you have your wiki page up at GLBT Bookshelf and I'll be sure to check it out!  "Agents of the Law."   I like that a lot - and there are certainly enough of them around!

SPOILERS

Aw, it was sweet watching the both of them being shy and a little awkward - which was perfectly understandable, considering all that's happened.  I'm glad they got things "settled" to their satisfaction! 

I had to laugh at Paula's descriptions of Jeremy and Ellery!  She has Ellery pegged so perfectly with that line about how he only sees women as a source of nourishment!   :laugh:  It's so true about the twins - they've been showing up with food for as long as I can remember! 

It would be funny to see how Nick and Jeremy would've reacted if they could've heard her describing Jeremy!  Nick, of course, would've been pleased. But Jeremy?  Not so much!  And she's still bugged about the diction thing!   :laugh:  Well, just one more way in which she and Henry make a good match!

Thanks for this terrific tale, Louise!  Truly outstanding!  And good luck with the character index and with the e-books! 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #447 on: July 19, 2009, 07:03:48 pm »
glad I got the Marie seal of approval!!!

Although the biggest reason for the wrap-up is because the story had wrapped up the loose end of finding out who the man was who drugged Ellery, which closed off the original story arc - and the book was so damned big!

And the focus we ended on which seems to define the next book, at least what is tickling my mind right now, is the relationship between the different people involved in the law there - the psychologist, the lawyers, the prosecutors, the judges, and of course, the police - all agents of the law in a manner of speaking, and those who love them.

I'm working on the index for Taking Chances this afternoon and I'm up about 2/3 of the way through - and 23 characters!  No wonder I can't keep them straight in my mind!  I wonder how many it will be by the time I get through the original series!  THIS is why I need an index!!!