Author Topic: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale  (Read 259648 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2009, 01:49:29 pm »
I'm just doing my best to keep everybody hopping, Marie!!!

And for some reason this seems much easier to write.  I guess it's because I'm not ruminating over how much sneaking out of the closet Colson could do at one time!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2009, 02:22:37 pm »
and by the way, for those who may not be familiar with the reference in the title of this story:

The Persistence of Memory, by Salvador Dali

An iconic painting that characterizes the Surrealist movement as a whole, the painting as well as its title illustrate how reality is distorted by our dreams, and how vivid they are.  (HINT HINT!)
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2009, 10:14:43 pm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2009, 01:43:12 pm »
Yes, it's a very apt title, Louise! 

SPOILERS

Ellery's mind is a fascinating place even when he's conscious and lucid - but this Demerol-induced twilight state he's in just magnifies that. 

I could go for a guy with nice big brown eyes. You ever look at a cow up close? Or a bull, don’t matter which, an they got these big beautiful eyes an eyelashes about two inches long, an if they didn’t have that big wet pink snout there an teeth the size a tent pegs ya might actually want ta kiss em,” Ellery commented.

Yes, you do like nice brown eyes, Ellery - especially on a bull, or better yet, a coyote! 

Jes call me darlin,” he replied, licking his suddenly-dry lips.

Awww. 

Okay, so they're moving him to a room.  Colson with the nice brown eyes must be dying to see him .....

Thanks, Louise!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2009, 04:37:16 pm »
well not to contradict you or anything, Counselor, but Colson's eyes turned blue during the rewrite, so if Ellery's thinking of anybody's big brown eyes (besides Elisie the Cow's, that is), then it might be a different lover he is reminiscing about.

And on that note...

Chapter 16:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/292283.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2009, 06:27:32 pm »
well not to contradict you or anything, Counselor, but Colson's eyes turned blue during the rewrite, so if Ellery's thinking of anybody's big brown eyes (besides Elisie the Cow's, that is), then it might be a different lover he is reminiscing about.

:laugh: :laugh: Contradict away!  I was so anxious for Ellery to be thinking of Colson I totally forgot about that!  Well, shit.  :-\  I'm thinking this is before Fuckin' Bill, and I can't remember if Bruce has brown eyes?  Of course, there have to be a couple others in there, we just don't know all the names.  Huh. But I can still hang on to the Jes call me darlin,”, right? 

This is like Churchill's quote about a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma - and I think we'll be adding a few more layers in there before we're done!

SPOILERS

Joe is doing his best, but things are deteriorating pretty quickly, and a lot of stuff that's been held back is starting to spill over. 

Esteban thought for a moment. “Ellery used ta be my partner, an he used ta be my friend.”

“An now he ain’t. An Dupree has never been my friend.”

I notice that he definied his relationships with them in terms of what they are not, not what they are.  What a sad, complicated mess.  And I think Esteban knows very well what the reasons are for not wanting to be Jeremy's friend. 

Can't wait for more!  Thanks, Louise.

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2009, 06:56:44 pm »
well the "Darlin" is a very big clue.

Unless of course... he's had other lovers in the past who called him that!  Which... even the most assiduous student of the Greenlea Tales probably could not suss out.

However, we do know that "Fuckin Bill" called Ellery "El", so maybe there was no pet name...

maybe.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2009, 10:47:00 pm »
And as the weekend closes in,

Chapter 17!  http://louisev.livejournal.com/292386.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2009, 12:02:20 pm »
And as the weekend closes in,

Chapter 17!  http://louisev.livejournal.com/292386.html

SPOILERS

Aw, poor Wes is beside himself with worry, and it is doubly hard for someone who is used to having his commands obeyed when his questions aren't answered to his satisfaction. 

“An my wife an boy here.

Aw, Colson is his boy, too, isn't he?  Sniff. 

Well, if Ellery named Reagan then he can't be thinking further back than 1981, (ETA:  but he just said "the past five years" so that would indicate he knows what year it is,so hmmm. ) and he apparently got the day and the month right too .... so more hmmm...

“You ever kiss a man on the lips?” Ellery’s hoarse, whispering laugh followed him as he stalked out the door.

:laugh:  Gotta love frisky Ellery!  Thanks, Louise.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 03:07:04 pm by mariez »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2009, 04:24:10 pm »

Spoilerish!

whew, well I sure hope it was clear by the doctor's satisfaction with the answers that Ellery is adequately oriented in space and time!

And now for chapter 18!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/292814.html