Author Topic: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale  (Read 259695 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2009, 11:35:06 am »
Now I'm completely lost.  Was chap 23 a figment of Ellery's coma? 

Carol

I sent you a pm.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2009, 01:39:04 pm »
Chapter 24

http://louisev.livejournal.com/294399.html

SPOILERS

He could barely remember the ride to the hospital now, or what he had been doing when Edna called him to the phone. It didn’t even seem like the same day, now.

This is so true.  Whenever we experience a traumatic event, it's like our life gets lopped off quickly into two halves: before and after.  And anything that occurred even a few moments "before" feels like ancient history.  The "perfect body my ass" line made me laugh.  I remember that well. 

I'm glad the girls have each other - I think Colson, Edna and Wes all need some quiet time. 

And talk about not-so-ancient history - dropping coins in a pay phone and smoking in a hospital!  Thanks, Louise.
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2009, 03:13:59 pm »
SPOILERS

He could barely remember the ride to the hospital now, or what he had been doing when Edna called him to the phone. It didn’t even seem like the same day, now.

This is so true.  Whenever we experience a traumatic event, it's like our life gets lopped off quickly into two halves: before and after.  And anything that occurred even a few moments "before" feels like ancient history.  The "perfect body my ass" line made me laugh.  I remember that well. 

I'm glad the girls have each other - I think Colson, Edna and Wes all need some quiet time. 

And talk about not-so-ancient history - dropping coins in a pay phone and smoking in a hospital!  Thanks, Louise.

oh, the good old days.  Remember when phone calls were 10 cents? That changed in the mid 1970's, when I was in high school!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2009, 09:50:38 pm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2009, 11:00:15 pm »
Okay gang, chapter 25!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/294538.html

SPOILERS

It's so great to see Nicky again!  He knows how to be there for his Sweet Thing.  And I have to say this was a nice bit of comic relief:

“You didn’t actually get ta third base an find this out, please tell me ya didn’t....” Nick said, his voice pleading, but the tone was one of restrained hilarity. He was about to start laughing out loud.

LOL.  That is so Nick!  And, yes, in a lot of ways he's very much like Ellery! 

We got to visit the Red Stallion, too - and Lauren and Lance!  But the news about Ellery will certainly put a damper on things.  And what will Wayne's reaction be?    So much to think about, Louise!  Thanks.
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2009, 03:18:04 pm »
okay gang, onward and upward!

Chapter 26!  http://louisev.livejournal.com/294662.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2009, 09:30:48 pm »
okay gang, onward and upward!

Chapter 26!  http://louisev.livejournal.com/294662.html

SPOILERS

Colson got up, and Ellery observed him. Muscular, fit, nice tight butt...I could just ask em ta get up an get me stuff an get a nice show every damn time

OMG, Louise, Ellery is cracking me up!  What kind of drugs do they have him on?  I loved this description:

Details eluded him, shifting through his distorted memory like carp darting through shadowy water.

And this really caught my eye:

Maybe because you are new an don't have any loyalties, yet," Colson offered.

That is one wild world Ellery is living in right now, complete with Emilio the drug dealer, the Holiday Inn, and handcuffs!  Can' wait for more.  Thanks!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2009, 03:57:35 pm »
oh, there's more on its way!!! I'm working on it now. Muah hahahahah.  And make sure to pay attention to Ellery's wild world, because believe it or not, it all means... something!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2009, 04:24:30 pm »

and thar she blows!

Chapter 27!  http://louisev.livejournal.com/295093.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2009, 06:32:01 pm »

and thar she blows!

Chapter 27!  http://louisev.livejournal.com/295093.html

SPOILERS

Well, a lot of verrrrrrry interesting stuff here! It's like hallucinogenic amnesia with a good bit of deja vu thrown in there - or something like that!  I wonder if Ellery can discover things during this coma that will help him remember stuff he forgot during the first coma?  Does that sentence even make sense?   :laugh:   But I have to agree with Colson, even if it was 14 years ago, I think the doctors should be aware that Ellery has been through this before. 

And when Wes mentioned how there was "nobody to make the decisions otherwise" 14 years ago, I was relieved all over again that Colson has those papers in his wallet!  Top-notch stuff, Louise!  Thanks.