Author Topic: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale  (Read 260293 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: The Persistence of Memory: New Greenlea Tale
« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2009, 10:54:23 pm »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2009, 06:42:33 am »

And now, chapter 61

http://louisev.livejournal.com/303777.html

*claps hands*

Bravo!

Those two are really hitting it off, and I'm very pleased about it. And I don't care whether Paula had too much merlot or not, they said all the right things. Looks like Cupid has struck!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2009, 12:51:57 pm »

*claps hands*

Bravo!

Those two are really hitting it off, and I'm very pleased about it. And I don't care whether Paula had too much merlot or not, they said all the right things. Looks like Cupid has struck!  :)

Yep, it was nice to watch their rapport!  And I think the merlot actually helped!   :)  Thanks, Louise!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2009, 09:43:30 pm »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #214 on: May 07, 2009, 03:50:44 pm »

And here is chapter 62!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/303955.html

SPOILERS

Women – bane a my existence,” he muttered..   

::)  Except when they leave you homemade muffins!   :laugh:

I'm relieved that Ellery is going home.  It has to be one of the greatest ironies that hospitals are the absolute worst places to recover from anything! 

Listening in on his thoughts made me feel so sorry for him, and I was so touched by his thoughts of Colson tossing and turning and then going for a midnight ride.  He does know his man.  What an awful mishmash of circumstances and emotions.  I do agree that he has to find out - he won't be able to simply put it behind him now. 

And to find out – he would probably have to commit at least one crime.

Hmmm.......   Thanks, Louise!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #215 on: May 07, 2009, 05:06:56 pm »
that was the "where do we go from here" chapter.

And now I'm going to have to mull that a bit.  One of the things I sort of like to do with my plots is to arrive at a dilemma that I do not know how to solve and have the characters figure it out themselves.  And that's where I am right now.  Ellery has a dilemma and has to decide where to go from here... with the added complication of being flat on his back for at least two weeks, and the ever-present hazard of what Colson might do when he learns all that Ellery knows.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #216 on: May 07, 2009, 10:58:24 pm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2009, 01:49:03 pm »
and chapter 63!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/304131.html

SPOILERS

Love all the grumbling banter among the guys, and especially the interaction between Joe and Jeremy here.  Despite Joe's anger and Jeremy's persistence, there's a lot of mutual respect and it's clear they're comfortable with each other, too.  I like Jeremy's idea of bringing Cortez and Ripley in.

Joe pointed a finger at him. “You know what? You are way too much like Ellery for your own damn good.”

Jeremy smiled back at him. “I’ll take that as a compliment....

:laugh:  I'll say.  That will make Jeremy's day for sure!   Thanks, Louise.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2009, 10:14:21 pm »
and for those of you patiently waiting another WHOLE DAY!!!

Chapter 64:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/304489.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2009, 01:26:00 pm »
and for those of you patiently waiting another WHOLE DAY!!!

Chapter 64:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/304489.html

SPOILERS

The fact that Ellery is so strong intellectually and perceptively, but can be so physically and emotionally vulnerable is yet another fascinating aspect of his character that makes him so damn lovable. 

“How can ya stand kissin me, I look like goddamn Alfalfa.”

“I close my eyes. Besides, Alfalfa wasn’t half bad lookin in them little shorts.

:laugh:  Here's hoping it won't be too long before Ellery will be wearing his own all-the-way-to-France shorts and soaking up some sun. 

And I must say that the closing lines were so touching they had me blinking rapidly, too.  Thanks, Louise.