Author Topic: Kerry's Gallery  (Read 64572 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Kerry's Gallery
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 06:26:57 pm »
great pic of george...

tell him to stop following me the next time you see him!  ;)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 06:48:07 pm »
great pic of george...

tell him to stop following me the next time you see him!  ;)

Haha - I'll tell George to mind his manners, Kelda!   ;)   :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 08:35:15 am »
I'm sure you'd like George, Gary. He's very likable. And he's charming too. He could charm the birds out of the trees (when he's not being grumpy lol). Even though he came to Australia when he was just 12, he has quizzically managed to retain much of his lovely East African accent. I love his accent. It's very proper. Melodic. Etonian. Charming. Not at all like the more coarse South African accent. I'm so glad you like George's portrait, Gary. Saying what you did means a great deal to me, as an artist. Capturing someone's physical features is the easy part. The challenging part of portraiture is capturing the subject's personality - or soul. That's what I try to achieve whenever I paint a portrait. And for me it all comes down to the eyes. I believe in that old cliche that says the eyes are the windows of the soul.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 08:56:01 am »
And for me it all comes down to the eyes. I believe in that old cliche that says the eyes are the windows of the soul.  :)

Yes, indeed, Kerry.  "Velvet George" is so striking because of the directness of those eyes--looking right at the viewer. 

I think that's why I liked study #3 for Fabian so much:  the close-up, the direct, slightly sly look in his eyes.  The close-up of his face surrounded by just the wimple, without the full regalia, is a great juxtaposition, and makes one linger on it and wonder just what's going on.  Bravo, Kerry.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 08:39:32 am »
You are quite right about that, Paul. There is something decidedly sly about Fabian. Though he was perfectly civil throughout the portrait painting process, I always felt there was some other agenda at play there. A case of "What you see is not   necessarily what you get." I just put it down to the fact that he was a bloke in a nun's habit, something with which I was a little ill at ease, but I suspect there was more to it than that. He is indisputably a rampant extrovert and attention seeker. I'm sure Fabian himself would agree with that. His eccentric grandstanding has certainly brought him much fame (infamy?) here in Oz. Another feeling I got at the time was that Fabian wasn't actually comfortable in a nun's habit. I felt that he needed to maintain his celebrity status (the only way he knew how to do that was through the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence), whilst secretly craving fame in his own right, minus the habit. Fabian comes from a traditional Italian Catholic family. Unlike many of the Sisters, he was genuinely religious, albeit in his own inimitably unique and imaginative way. Shortly after I painted his portrait, he renounced the Catholic Church and converted to Protestantism, foregoing his habit forever. With this act, he instantly lost his celebrity status in the community and flung himself into the Stygian Pit of anonymity, from whence he has never returned. Maybe that was on his mind when I painted his portrait back in the mid-90s. I'll never know.

Thank you for your kind words, Paul. Please drop into the gallery again, when next you're passing this way.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 09:41:55 am »
I enjoy painting abstracts. Abstracts are FUN to paint. You get to throw paint at the canvas and slosh it about. Yee-Haw! 

By contrast, portraits are all hard work and concentration. Though I love portraiture, it is always good to take a break from its strict discipline and have some fun with an abstract. I have experimented with many different abstract styles over the years. So much so that the abstracts I have hanging throughout my apartment appear to be painted by different artists. Most of them are, in fact, painted by me, utilizing different styles.

I have a background in calligraphy. For some years, I ran my own calligraphy business. Nothing big time. It was only ever an adjunct to my full-time job. I used to inscribe graduates' names on their nursing certificates when they finished their training and became RNs, in the days when nurse training was hospital based. I was interested in calligraphy long before then, however; since childhood, in fact. For that reason, calligraphic forms often emerge in my abstracts. Such as in this painting, for example, titled “Blood in the Water.” It is painted in oils on canvas and is 90cm x 60cm (3ft x 2ft).

It may be necessary to scroll over --> to see the entire image.

Blood in the Water
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:17:39 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 10:59:15 am »
Kerry, you are incredibly talented.  You are Picassoesque in the variety of styles.  Thank you so much for sharing these with us.  I look forward to more.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 03:25:51 pm »
ooh pretty - get that ebay shop open my lovely!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 06:14:44 pm »
Hiya Clarissa & Kelda. More paintings will be hung shortly. A portrait next.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 02:39:01 pm »
Hi Kerry,

I have only recently discovered this thread.  Although I am no artist  I enjoy looking at paintings. I definitely like yours, especially the one of George and the one with the  Modigliani influence. Yes, please, keep more coming. You are an artist in so many ways, very talented.

Have you ever been inspired by BbM in any your paintings?
BbM, I swear