Author Topic: Kerry's Gallery  (Read 65019 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Kerry's Gallery
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2009, 08:11:16 pm »
Hey there, Kerry,

I'm just getting back to this thread.  I really love The Embrace.  You have so much talent, Friend.  And who would have thought you'd paint it years before Brokeback Mountain?  No coincidences...I wonder?

About the self-portrait, I definitely feel viscerally the unhappiness and desolation you describe, even via computer.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to see in person.  In that sense, I think you were successful in representing yourself.  I'm also interested in your answer to Jess' question about painting it as catharsis?

Much love,
Lynne
 :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2009, 08:15:28 pm »
the other thing I admire about you Kerry is your willingness to put yourself out there. I think an artist can reveal a lot about themselves thru their work (I suppose they could hide themselves behind it too if they wanted to ...)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2009, 08:32:30 pm »
well it struck me you said you started out with a more realistic representation of your features then used other techniques that destroyed or altered the features...as if you couldn't stand to see yourself like that....I wondered if it was cathartic (sp); if you felt relieved when you were finished...

Alas, Jess, I can recall no feeling of abreactive cathartic release upon completion of this painting. There was no feeling of elation. I wish I could say there had been.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2009, 08:35:04 pm »
Hey there, Kerry,

I'm just getting back to this thread.  I really love The Embrace.  You have so much talent, Friend.  And who would have thought you'd paint it years before Brokeback Mountain?  No coincidences...I wonder?

About the self-portrait, I definitely feel viscerally the unhappiness and desolation you describe, even via computer.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to see in person.  In that sense, I think you were successful in representing yourself.  I'm also interested in your answer to Jess' question about painting it as catharsis?

Much love,
Lynne
 :-*

Thank you for your kind words, Lynne. It makes me so happy that you like "The Embrace."
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2009, 08:38:37 pm »
the other thing I admire about you Kerry is your willingness to put yourself out there. I think an artist can reveal a lot about themselves thru their work (I suppose they could hide themselves behind it too if they wanted to ...)

That's very true, Jess. And I always enjoy hearing new interpretations of my paintings. It opens my mind and makes me think.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2009, 02:29:54 am »
Having trouble seeing "me" in my previously posted abstract Self Portrait?  ???

Hint: Hold a mirror in front of the image and view it in the mirror.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2009, 02:34:26 am »
The portrait of Geri in the first post of this thread was a scan of a hard-copy photo and did not reproduce the original painting with satisfactory clarity. I have, therefore, replaced it with a new digitally formatted image.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2009, 03:43:29 am »

Though I have not worked professionally as an artist, my art has never ceased to sustain and nourish me throughout my life. It keeps me grounded and centered. My art provides a place where I can retreat and hide when the going gets tough. A safe refuge. My art is always there for me. When I am painting, time and space cease to exist for me.

Hi Kerry,

It must be somehow (not sure whether this is the word I am looking for) reassuring to have something like that where time and space cease to exist. One's own place. “Kerry's place”.

I like the portrait of Geri very much, the stained glass window design and  the resemblance to Modigliani's style. I had seen photos of Modigliani's paintings but it wasn't until I saw an exhibition on him, two/three years ago, that I really got to like and appreciate his style.
What did Geri say about the portrait?
BbM, I swear

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2009, 09:55:48 am »
I am enormously fond of the work of Modigliani. I particularly love his portraits. He tragically died far too young.  :'(

I hope all is well with you, Sel, and you weren't anywhere near the earthquake when it struck.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2009, 11:29:29 am »
I am fine Kerry. I live in a different part of Italy, North West. Thank you for asking.
BbM, I swear