Author Topic: "New to BBM and stunned..."  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
"New to BBM and stunned..."
« on: July 15, 2006, 02:35:31 am »
Look--they're (still!) out there (on the IMBd board)...

Beautiful--

New to BBM and stunned...   

by - karenm_lynch (Fri Jun 30 2006 03:12:42)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw BBM for the first time on the Sunday evening just gone. I expected a good film but I was totally blown away.

I’m in my thirties, have settled with the man I’ve loved since I was 18, despite many and varying ups and downs, separations, other relationships, and we have a beautiful 2 year old daughter.

I thought that delicious obsessions and being profoundly affected by a work of art or a performance was something that I had left behind in my youth.

However, I can’t get this film, this story out of my mind. Jack and Ennis feel profoundly real (obviously due to the stunning performances of Jake and Heath). Scenes continue to replay in my mind.

I feel emotionally winded and really not quite myself, or rather a different version of myself. I have lost loved ones and this surreal aura is very similar.

I found these boards on Monday and have plucked up the courage to post.

Please, am I going insane?

Again, beautiful....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 02:38:14 am by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "New to BBM and stunned..."
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 09:34:36 am »
Invite her over here, John. This is where she needs to be.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 09:46:06 am »
That really is beautiful, John.  Thanks for posting it here.
No more beans!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 10:18:17 am »
Thanks, Barb and Leslie! I was so touched by that OP (karenm_lynch); here is the thread: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/nest/47023021

I'm glad that other subsequent posters have given the OP info in re: Dave Cullen and BetterMost; our Victoria gave kind encouragement--

Leslie, you might be interested seeing one post in particular:

Re: New to BBM and stunned...   
by - wayne1932-1 (Fri Jun 30 2006 05:22:57 ) 

UPDATED Fri Jun 30 2006 05:24:42 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, not insane, but you could end up with an obsession like me. I thought these kinds of things just got stuck on teeny-boppers and the emotionally immature. I'm a 73 YO man, living a very conventional straight life. I should have my stuff together by now. The sadness of the ending, left me looking for more and I found it in the fanfiction phenomenon.

There are some excellent writers out there who take Ennis and Jack at some point in their tour, and make up an alternate universe where things don't go badly. These do smooth out the rough spots in the day. Of course there's no real way to ignore the actual story, It has already been committed to paper, celluloid, and DVD, so we gotta live with it.

Thank you Annie Proulx, Ang Lee, and our boys Heath and Jake.

Again, beautiful--

Thanks!

xxxx
John
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 10:19:55 am by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 10:20:57 am »
Thanks for sharing that, John. I actually think that man might be one of my readers, I received a few emails from him. Married 43 years, secretly gay, has had a few male lovers over the years. Sad story.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!