Author Topic: Don't Never Order Soup...  (Read 10806 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Don't Never Order Soup...
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 12:20:34 pm »
I know there have been whole threads dedicated to interpreting the negative meanings of spit -- OMT's spitting as well as all the times Jack or Ennis spits during a conversation to express anger or contempt or dismissal. But I've never considered analyzing spit in the positive sense.
Well, it's not necessarily positive. There's a difference between swapping spit and spitting. ;D For instance, one is not typically suffused with a sense of pleasure after dreams involving spitting, whereas dreams about swapping spit... ;D

But, you know, spitting into a CUP, as opposed to swapping spit on the lip of a bottle... ;)

I'll say this, though, if it turns out that Ang plotted out the saliva symbolism so carefully that it included the spit string, I will gain a whole new level of admiration for his genius.

Actually, he planned it all out carefully, every bit of it, to drive us all completely bonkers.

I'm sending the man my therapy bill.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2006, 03:30:15 pm »
I don't know what Jude was observing, but we see them drinking when they're far away from one another quite often -- Jack in the two bar scenes and then at the dance benefit, and Ennis waiting for Jack and then when Cassie picks him up.

Maybe that's what she meant.

Edit: and I probably shouldn't even mention Old Man Twist spitting into the cup at the end of the movie, should I?

No, you shouldn't  ;) Not while talking about swapping spit. Urrrgh, what a yucky thought.

From Katherine:
But I've never considered analyzing spit in the positive sense.

Spit is also used in a positive way in TS1. Well, not only spit.
with the help of the clear slick and a little spit

So spit as a feature (?) occurs not only in the movie, but already in the story. Like Annie Proulx used very clear and vivid pictures and described things directly and outright. I love her desciptions of the smells of two rooms: Ennis's and Alma's bedroom when Junior is a little baby and the room in the motel Siesta.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2006, 04:13:34 am »
*bump*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."