Author Topic: Anyone watch the ESPYs??  (Read 18873 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: Anyone watch the ESPYs??
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2006, 05:27:09 pm »
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

mvansand76

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2006, 07:05:28 am »
Why doesn't Lance Armstrong play himself I wonder?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2006, 09:50:23 am »
Actually, I think Jake can pull it off.  Look at him in Jarhead - without that luxurious dark hair (I'm afraid they'll have to do something with his eyebrows, too :(), his coloring is quite fair, and their facial features are not all that different.

My conflict with eventually seeing it is that I don't care for Armstrong all that much.  I certainly admire him, but I don't think he's a particularly nice person, and not just because of what he did at the Espy's - it's been in development for me for a long time.  That'll be my challenge, I guess - I get the feeling Jake playing him and showing his vulnerability might just break me of my distaste for him.
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2006, 11:29:45 am »
I think he can pull anything off, and if it means that he will be shooting the movie here in Europe (the Alps) then I am all for it!  ;)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2006, 11:46:18 am »
Actually, I think Jake can pull it off.  Look at him in Jarhead - without that luxurious dark hair (I'm afraid they'll have to do something with his eyebrows, too :(), his coloring is quite fair, and their facial features are not all that different.

My conflict with eventually seeing it is that I don't care for Armstrong all that much. 

Those were my thoughts, too.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2006, 06:06:43 pm »
Yeah, I'm jumping on that same bandwagon.

What do you think the writers were aiming for at the ESPYs when Jake said "Yeah, there is a lot of gay stuff in here...?" [Referring to Terrell Owens' book, which I have no idea why homosexuality is related to that but okay...]

Or do you think Jake said that himself? I'm baffled as to where he/the writers is/are coming from.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2006, 09:05:58 am »
Yeah, I'm jumping on that same bandwagon.

What do you think the writers were aiming for at the ESPYs when Jake said "Yeah, there is a lot of gay stuff in here...?" [Referring to Terrell Owens' book, which I have no idea why homosexuality is related to that but okay...]

Or do you think Jake said that himself? I'm baffled as to where he/the writers is/are coming from.

I'm guessing there is something about The Down Low in Owens' book.  i.e., that little phenomenon in which black men get together to have sex just for kicks.  But they're really straight.  Honest.  I'm guessing only - I haven't read it and don't plan to because I can't stand Terrell Owens and have no desire to know what it is that "makes him tick."  Actually, I already do know: megalomania.

The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.  I think where the writers were coming from is having a need to prove their masculinity and that of their audience largely composed of (supposedly) straight male professional athletes by making a guy who played a gay rodeo cowboy in love with another man the brunt of gay jokes.  Nothing more or less than that.  I feel bad for Jake that he had to put up with it.  I can't believe he was wild about it, no matter what Lance Armstrong says.

Once again, I no longer am experiencing penis envy.  I can't tell you all how glad I am to be a woman in this stupid, backwards society.  Oh.  Wait a minute...
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2006, 11:14:35 pm »
This just in:  I get it.  It being the context in which Jake most likely said "I love it, I love it" (or something very much like it) to Lance Armstrong.

One of The Jackies (The Jackies being my two best friends in the world) sent this to me tonight, recalling my saying that it was Jake's appearance on Leno, and a particular moment during it, that sealed the deal for me, knocked Rafe out of the Number One spot on my List, stole the show, all of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvOd1vo2Em0&NR

And that particular moment was when he said "Bring it on, man" in response to Jay asking if he was tired of all the jokes about the movie.

There is nothing sexier on God's green earth than confidence.  And fearlessness (in a non-Jackass sort of way, of course).  And when Jake said this, to me he was saying "Fuck 'em all."  So when Lance approached him about That Joke on the Espys and he said, "I love it, I love it," it wasn't him being insensitive or ingenuous.  It was him saying I'm not afraid of whatever you guys want to throw at this movie or at me.  Bring it on.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 11:16:09 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2006, 11:33:58 pm »
I've been ruminating on a similar thought for a while, not sure if it had merit, but wondered if his attitude towards the jokes was sort of like, "Who cares?  Joke about 'it' all you want.  'It' is not a bad thing."

Thoughts?

(personally trying hard to avoid wondering why I spend so much time trying to work out what Jake thinks...)
 ::)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2006, 09:14:24 am »
I've been ruminating on a similar thought for a while, not sure if it had merit, but wondered if his attitude towards the jokes was sort of like, "Who cares?  Joke about 'it' all you want.  'It' is not a bad thing."

Thoughts?

(personally trying hard to avoid wondering why I spend so much time trying to work out what Jake thinks...)
 ::)

Hmmmmm.  Um, yeah.  I know the feeling.  One of my coworkers has said a couple of times to me recently "GET therapy.  PLEASE."  Perhaps I should take his advice.  ;)
No more beans!